Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What could've been done differently? (summer cold fronts...?)

Message Subject: What could've been done differently? (summer cold fronts...?)
PSYS
Posted 7/22/2013 12:35 PM (#653025)
Subject: What could've been done differently? (summer cold fronts...?)

Made a trip to Northern Wisconsin this past weekend.  Anyone else do any fishing this weekend in the northwoods?  And if so, how did you do because I threw everything but the kitchen sink at 'em.  Regardless, it still made for an awesome time on the water..

My question is this:   if you're in Wisconsin, most of you know last week the weather was insanely warm and humid beyond belief (pretty typical of July)  But on Saturday and Sunday up north, they experienced a 20+ degree swing in temperature.  The highs on Saturday and Sunday were in the mid/high 60's.  Wind was variable on both days 6-12 mph.  I don't know what it was on Saturday, but I know Sunday (yesterday) it was a east/northeast wind.

I'm guessing this large swing in temperature may have (among other things) attributed to my lack of success with musky.  Four hammer handles and one lazy follow was all I could muster.  Went shallow, deep, rock piles/humps and weedlines.  Bucktails, rubber, topwater and jerkbaits.  I also grabbed my Spring gear and downsized presentations a portion of each day.  Fished two different lakes in two days and fished each spot that has produced (or have seen) fish in years past with no success.

What could I have done differently?  If this is something attributed to the short cold-front that swept through the area, what do all of you do during these summer / cold front outings to help make for a successful catch ratio?

MD75
Posted 7/22/2013 7:20 PM (#653094 - in reply to #653025)
Subject: Re: What could've been done differently? (summer cold fronts...?)

Sometimes they just won't bite on the lake that your on, but...Jig and creature or bulldawg worked on the bottom in 20+ft of water...or go bass/ walleye fishing with a #2 hook, split shot and a nightcrawler. JMO
Veithr3293
Posted 7/22/2013 8:34 PM (#653109 - in reply to #653094)

It actually started friday night the fish were much less active then they were during the last two weeks.
PSYS
Posted 7/22/2013 8:35 PM (#653111 - in reply to #653109)

I won't argue there.   We did fish Friday night, as well for just a couple of hours.   Little did I know the punishment I was in for the following 48 hours afterwards...
muskyhunter47
Posted 7/22/2013 8:50 PM (#653113 - in reply to #653111)

I was out Saturday morning with my mom. she is 84 so she don't cast a lot I bought her a zebco 33. I run the trolling motor at 1.2 mph so she can troll I cast. she caught 3 pike and one bass she had fun day. I do ok on this lake using a thriller or smaller bucktails. nothing last 15 minn I went to a dubbel 10 seen one 2 cast after putting it on slow lazy fish 5 feet from the boat it turned never seen it again but that's musky fishing I had temps at 78.3
IM Musky Time
Posted 7/22/2013 9:24 PM (#653123 - in reply to #653025)

Had a great morning Saturday with 4 in the boat and three other strikes that didn't hold. I wasn't sure how the fish were going to react after the change, but they were extremely active on the lake I went to. Fish were on the outside weed edges and temps were 78-79.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)