Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: try running a marithon than holding your head under water see how good you can breath
- (Added by: lehighmuskies)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Moulding soft plastic question

Message Subject: Moulding soft plastic question
jabird
Posted 4/6/2013 5:49 PM (#632384)
Subject: Moulding soft plastic question

Wondering if anyone here could share experience with this or if this is even possible. I have some 20" Squirrelly Jakes with soft tails that plug into the back of the bait just like all the other regular production SJ's. I am going to need new tails this year and it does not appear that Musky Mania sells or has replacements for this size and the 13" tails are way too small. I have an intact factory tail and was wondering if I could make a mould of it and then pour my own? If so I could use some direction to a product line or retailer that would sell the appropriate products in the appropriate quantities that I would need to do this as well as any other thoughts, ideas or suggestions that might help as I do not have any experience working with this stuff. Thanks for your help. Roger

Edited by jabird 4/6/2013 5:53 PM
Tigerhunter
Posted 4/6/2013 8:12 PM (#632411 - in reply to #632384)
Subject: Re: Moulding soft plastic question

Some day I will get around to soft baits but I am still trying to get the hang of hard baits....haha.

I like Alumite a lot, pricey but a very quality product.

http://makelure.com/HowTos.cfm

I am sure there is one there that will fit your situation, maybe the second half of the ribbon tails video.

I think you can basically glue your tail down and make a mold. There is a release agent so the rubber doesn't stick to the mold. I'm sure there are others that have done this here that can also give input.

Good luck!
jabird
Posted 4/6/2013 11:10 PM (#632442 - in reply to #632411)

Thanks. I did stumble onto the Makelure website after my initial post and watched a few of the video demonstrations which seem simple enough but does look a little expensive being that I am not looking to make a large quantity of tails but on the flip side once I have the mould I can use it forever. The process I need to do would be the same as trying to make a mould of a Shallow Invader tail to duplicate it. The tails I need attach to the lure body in a very similar fashion only they are larger. I will continue to research and would like to hear from someone who has done something like this if you wouldn't mind sharing. Many thanks.
Tigerhunter
Posted 4/7/2013 9:51 AM (#632501 - in reply to #632384)

I have also seen somebody make a similar mold with plater of Paris on youtube, the only issue with that is you have to have one side that is flat so you can get it out of the mold, which might work for your situation.
magnum
Posted 4/8/2013 3:30 AM (#632681 - in reply to #632384)

If you can make a hard copy of what you want would make it easyer to make a mold. You can run wire threw the tail you have to make a mold around. What I have also do is made a box around the tail and put molding clay in the bottom and pushed the tail 1/2 way into the clay. then put vasiline over the tail and clay for it will not stick in the rtv silicone. i always pour so the air bubbles come to the top of the silicone or you will have air bubble on the under side . PM me with ? I my be able to make the mold for you.
tkopke_unplugged
Posted 4/8/2013 9:10 AM (#632721 - in reply to #632384)
Subject: RE: Moulding soft plastic question

Plaster of Paris is a quick and cheap way to make a mold. Even a two part mold which you would want for this. Do a search on line for molding soft plastic and you will get several articles on how to do it.

Once you are comfortable with pouring you can jump up a notch and make one from silicone, or have an aluminum mold made.
wicked
Posted 4/11/2013 1:58 PM (#633684 - in reply to #632384)

yep the alumalite products would work and you'd have it. ,ake sure to get a can of umr
Stez
Posted 4/13/2013 2:02 PM (#634312 - in reply to #632384)

This might work for you. The pt flex comes in several hardnesses and it can be colored. the pt flex20 is the most flexible.

stez

Polytek PT flex 20
http://www.polytek.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=398

jdsplasher
Posted 4/13/2013 9:48 PM (#634467 - in reply to #634312)

Go to poor mans plastics, or lure-craft, They may already have the mold made for you. They have tons of molds at your fingertips. They also make custom molds when sending them your pattern.

I've made about 50 molds from 2 part resin material.

Jim Dembiec

Pewaukee Musky guide

jabird
Posted 4/14/2013 4:25 PM (#634623 - in reply to #634467)

Thank you for all the valuable input. I am still researching which route to go but you guys got me going in the right direction.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)