Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> finding deep sandgrass

Message Subject: finding deep sandgrass
jonnysled
Posted 2/1/2012 11:49 AM (#536066)
Subject: finding deep sandgrass

1. how do you approach finding deep sand-grass?
- lake selection (can you guess which ones will have/not have based on any specific information ahead of time? ... eutrophic, mesotrophic, oligotrophic?)
- depth ranges you like and why
- any tips on reading water and locations ahead of time to find it more easily?

2. how do you like to fish it for:
- muskies
- walleyes/perch
- bass

the past few years i've spent a lot more time fishing bass and then ice-walleyes/perch and big pike. sandgrass has become a go-to location for the best fishing we've experienced and i'm interested in adding to my inventory of "go-to" spots primarily for walleye-perch and big pike but of-course it complements musky spot selection too.

overall, how does your multi-species fishing complement your choices for finding muskies??

and of-course finally ... who's got the crappiest transmission? ford, chevy or dodge??
sworrall
Posted 2/1/2012 11:35 PM (#536225 - in reply to #536066)
Subject: Re: findind deep sandgrass

Data has the best....and by far worst transmission. End of debate. Sand grass...I fish quite a bit of deep vegetation for all species. I think the term 'sand grass' has become a bit generic. Marl also supports all sorts of low light veggies, and fish do live there.

What you need, Sled, is an Aqua-Vu Micro. Explore it all with a cell phone size pocket underwater camera.
scmuskies
Posted 2/2/2012 8:52 AM (#536267 - in reply to #536066)
Subject: RE: finding deep sandgrass

Finding it:
1) Usually in oligotrophic lakes - deep & clear. Some w/ more stained water will have it, but not as deep.
- Depth range varies, one lake I fish has it from 18-26, another 20-30, and so on... The clearer the water, the deeper it will be. Typically there's a shallow & deep edge to it.
-To find it, I look for sandy bottom areas w/ a gradual slope. Keep an eye on your electronics, if you have a color graph it's easy to see as a fuzzy, irregular bottom line, almost like you're over a really soft bottom. You can verify it's presence by dropping a jig down there, checking w/ camera as Steve said, or going perpendicular to the slope - once you get off the bottom line on the graph will become smooth & thinner, indicating the harder sand bottom.

2) How do i fish it...
Muskies - In the summer, I don't concentrate on it much. In the fall I like to row suckers around the edges of it w/ the sucker on the bottom - this does mean you have to bring it up & check to make sure it's not coated in sandgrass here & there. Casting & counting down plastic on the edges of it works too. I've tried through the middle of the stuff, but most action from the edges.
Walleyes/perch - I'm Gary Roach during the spring runs, the rest of the year not so much....
Bass - ???
Pike - In winter, dead bait about 1ft off the bottom on the deep edge of it or right over the stuff. If you can find a hole of bare bottom in the sandgrass = money. Camera helps.

Trucks: You're on your own.

Edited by scmuskies 2/2/2012 8:57 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)