Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Dude can you grab me that gum off the floor?" Tomyv
- (Added by: Slamr)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> epoxy v. gliders

Message Subject: epoxy v. gliders
kodiak
Posted 10/13/2011 8:26 AM (#520470)
Subject: epoxy v. gliders

i have noticed a lot of custom baits out there and ones my friends have purchased that have a TON of epoxy on them. sure it looks good but it kills the action. I have seen hellhounds have so much epoxy on them that the rear fins are almost darn near even with the body...the lure is junk when you do that.
newmuskyz
Posted 10/13/2011 8:31 AM (#520472 - in reply to #520470)
Subject: RE: epoxy v. gliders

You're right about some lures. Other lures do better with heavy build. Wood requires more than plastic in most cases. I have seen hellhounds the same way that have plenty of bite marks. Like any custom bait work it just depends on the particular lure.
RiverMan
Posted 10/13/2011 9:20 AM (#520480 - in reply to #520470)
Subject: Re: epoxy v. gliders

Good observation Kodiak and one that few builders ever seem to recognize. I have found in nearly every case a heavy coat causes the lure to be less stable, less forgiving, more roll, more likely to blow out if worked aggressively, etc.

Jed
h2os2t
Posted 10/13/2011 9:37 AM (#520482 - in reply to #520480)

All weight and where it is has to be accounted for in the design. Some cases it is a good thing as in a very buoyant crankbait that you want toned down a little. Same as using different woods for different actions.
MuskyFix
Posted 10/13/2011 12:41 PM (#520502 - in reply to #520482)

Before I started painting i had a few HH that I had bought painted, they had a big time build on the fins, it caused them to run nose high, I had to add a weight to the nose to fix it.. I airbrushed the section and re coated the bait then I sold them, but they ran good after that..

Edited by MuskyFix 10/13/2011 1:06 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)