Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Boat insurance

Reply New post
Message Subject: Boat insurance
muskydg
Posted 4/25/2011 11:30 AM (#494980)
Subject: Boat insurance

How many of you have a separate boat insurance policy. I checked with my insurance company and found out mine is thru my home owners. For us fisherman it does not cover your equipment and electronics very well. Can anyone recommend a good company for insuring my boat and equipment.
Thanks,
whynot
Posted 4/25/2011 12:09 PM (#494986 - in reply to #494980)
Subject: Re: Boat insurance

My boat insurance is through the same company as my homeowners and is VERY reasonable at ~$10/month. That includes adequate replacement cost insurance for equipment/tackle and electronics and an agreed upon value for the boat/motor/trailer. Shop around and get quotes from a number of agencies/brokers on both the house and boat. You might be surprised at the rates you can get.
chasintails
Posted 4/25/2011 1:26 PM (#495001 - in reply to #494980)

Whynot who are you covered with?
tomcat
Posted 4/25/2011 1:33 PM (#495002 - in reply to #494980)

i have bought insurance about 3 of the last 6 years. this is who i'm talking to now...look at the top of the forum called Muskie Boat and Motors. to me, the policy i am getting appears to be MUCH MUCH better than my last 3 policies
World Wide Marine Underwriters|Click here
Junkman
Posted 4/25/2011 3:59 PM (#495031 - in reply to #495002)

I supose that I have the best insurance story. Several years ago there was a contest to get an insurance quote from Farm and City Insurance where the winner got a free trip to be on the Musky Hunter TV Show. I won the contest, got to fish on TV with Jim Saric, the quote turned out to be the lowest, I went with them, and still am with them. I have already had them pay for two lower units (not my fault..) and recently they fully covered the rods that our wonder Transportation Security Administration arm of the Homeland Security broke for me at the airport. good insurance. Marty Forman
archerynut36
Posted 4/25/2011 4:39 PM (#495038 - in reply to #494980)

i second the farm & city.. they are really good, i have 500,000.00 per person liability for my guide insurance . and that was the cheapest per year i could find. and bob at www under told me h had helped them get all that going for them a few years ago.. both are good insurance companies if you ask me but i have just stuck with F&C for the past 4 years
sworrall
Posted 4/25/2011 4:42 PM (#495040 - in reply to #494980)

I'd get a quote from Bob to be sure. he'll tell you if the insurance you have is the best value, and will also tell you where any policy out there falls short. He literally IS the insurer for many of the pro anglers and guides out here, and a call to him can save you ALOT of heartaches later.

http://www.worldwidemarineins.com/
muskydg
Posted 4/25/2011 7:35 PM (#495080 - in reply to #495040)

Thanks guys. I will give them both a try and see who has the best deal (coverage for the money).
whynot
Posted 4/25/2011 8:24 PM (#495095 - in reply to #494980)

i'd have to dig out the policy, but it's some company in Appleton, WI, that my insurance broker found me. i think it might be integrity.
cjrich
Posted 4/25/2011 8:39 PM (#495099 - in reply to #494980)

World Wide Marine Underwriters.

I insured my first boat with my standard insurer, State Farm. When I purchased my second boat I actually examined the State Farm policy. Yeah, it was inexpensive. It also covered next to nothing other than the outright disappearance (theft) of the boat.

Now I have replacement cost coverage, my motor is covered just in case I tear it apart on rocks or reef, and there is ample tackle coverage just in case the boat would go completely down, and adequate medical thresholds if you or a passenger gets hurt in an accident.

Around $300 per year, but at least I can rest a little easier concerning claims with the boat. The premium decreases 5% for every consecutive claim-free year

Call Bob at World Wide Marine Underwriters.

Edited by cjrich 4/25/2011 8:48 PM
bridgeman
Posted 4/25/2011 9:19 PM (#495112 - in reply to #494980)

World wide Marine underwriters for the Boat. West Bend for the Crib.
Lay in a Line
Posted 5/4/2011 9:08 PM (#496883 - in reply to #494980)

There will be an article in the June issue of MUSKIE Magazine addressing boat insurance. Beware if you are paying the $10 a month for your coverage, you are not as nearly covered as you think you are. The basic boat policy covers your boat, motor and trailer only. You need to be very explicit when seeking quote, many agents do not realize the $$$$$ you have invested in musky gear, electronics and accessories. From my research for the article and my personal experiences as a guide on the Great Lakes I highly recommend Nate Hatzung of St. Louis Park, MN - William Petersen of American Advantage Insurance and Scott Folsom of State Farm both in Green Bay, WI.

Kevin
whynot
Posted 5/5/2011 9:24 AM (#496938 - in reply to #494980)

Actually, I am covered for approximately $10/month. I went over the entire policy with my broker, have adequate coverage for the boat/motor/trailer (agreed upon value that is more than everything is worth), made sure it covers any accident repairs, made sure to have all of my gear covered by a separate section of the policy (replacement cost, including detachable electronics which is important), have ample liability coverage, etc., etc.

I use the same company I have homeowners insurance with. Not sure if that's why the rate is so low, but yes you can get covered for that cheap. I asked ALL of the questions and got the right answers.

Shop around, you can find it cheaper than $300/year. Just make sure you look over the policy and ask a lot of questions to make sure you're covered.

Edited by whynot 5/5/2011 9:24 AM
sworrall
Posted 5/6/2011 6:43 AM (#497092 - in reply to #494980)

Alot depends on what you are insuring.

Bob will tell you if he can beat your current policy costs, and if your coverage is what you THINK it is.
Chuck S.
Posted 5/1/2012 1:30 PM (#557117 - in reply to #494980)
Subject: RE: Boat insurance

In my opinion, you need to line up all your rods with reels on and take a picture with your digital camera and also of your mounted electronics and trolling motor. If you don't have detailed receipts for all of the above in the event of theft or some catastrophic accident event you will be hard pressed to PROVE to any insurance company claims adjuster SPECIFICALLY what your stuff was and the original value. From there you can haggle over the present value of it all in the claims process. Additionally, during the off season or whenever you can get around to it I would take each tackle box, one at a time, and lay out the lures in front of it and take the picture. Can you imagine trying to convince a claims adjuster that you had two boxes stolen from your boat with atleast 20 lures in each one and those lures would now cost a total of around $400 to replace (40 lures @$10 retail). I have 7 musky boxes in my basement (various Lakewood models) and have pics of it all. Again, being able to prove what your stuff was will maximize what you may be able to recover from a claims process after a major theft or destructive accident.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)