Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> John Alden Knight Solunar tables

Message Subject: John Alden Knight Solunar tables
Propster
Posted 5/1/2011 12:01 AM (#496166)
Subject: John Alden Knight Solunar tables

Anyone ever wonder, or know why, the minors and majors on the web site below, which they say are based on the theory of John Alden Knight, differ so drastically from the times listed in JAK's actual book? For example for today, 4/30, at zip code 55343 (roughly Tonka), the web site lists the minors starting at 4:32 am and 6:06 pm, while the book has them (for Minnesota, add 1 hr 15 min) at 3:45 am and 4:00 pm. Majors are 11:15 am and 11:36 pm (web site) while book is 9:45 am and 10:05 pm. On the web site, the minors always start at MR and MS, and the majors are always at moon overhead and moon underfoot. In the book they vary and are not a specific time relative to MR, MS, MOH, or MUF. Just curious which one has really shown itself to be more predictive of activity. I realize weather usually trumps it, but all things equal, has one or the other theory seem to have proven itself out for anyone?
http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarforecast.aspx
Zib
Posted 5/1/2011 10:58 AM (#496210 - in reply to #496166)
Subject: RE: John Alden Knight Solunar tables

I've found the Solunarforcast site to be pretty close & some times right on the money.
CheapTrix
Posted 5/1/2011 5:40 PM (#496263 - in reply to #496166)

I found this one the other day.

http://www.usprimetimes.com/

I haven't compared them to anything yet nor have I tried the times. I just thought I would pass it along since it is a free site and adjusts to your location.

Good luck,
CheapTrix
richg99
Posted 5/1/2011 6:30 PM (#496272 - in reply to #496166)

Hmmm I also used the Solunar tables successfully last summer. Nothing the size of what you guys catch...but...my three biggest fish..one LM; one Northern and a small muskie all came within 45 minutes of the Solunar times.

After I found that the Solunar times didn't agree with a number of other sites...I started paying more attention to the other sites....I'm going back to Solunars ...

Interesting....Your thread caused me to check out a free phone app for Android ( and probably other phones) which I had installed a few weeks ago. It is called Time2Fish... time2Fish exactly agrees with the Solunar tables as shown on your referenced site....Now i don't have to carry a paper copy.

Thanks...
regards, Rich

Edited by richg99 5/1/2011 6:36 PM
Duke
Posted 5/2/2011 8:39 AM (#496339 - in reply to #496166)

Just use all of the available sources of info- that way you are always under the influence of some major, minor or juju.

No seriously, I know they can be a factor, but its tough be sure!? I hate how these times are all over the board. No clue what is going on here
Nupe
Posted 5/2/2011 8:56 AM (#496344 - in reply to #496166)
Subject: Re: John Alden Knight Solunar tables

Duke,
Glad you posted this. I don't get why the solunarforecast website's don't match the times in JAK's book either.
I posted this question a few months back, but didn't get any replies because it was within another thread. This baffles me as well. The last couple of years, my group has paid a lot more attention to this on our trips to Canada and JAK's book/times have proved successfull for us on several of our days, sometimes on the dot or within 5 minutes - at night and during the day.

CheapTrix, thanks for posting that usprimetimes.com website.
One thing I noticed on comparing the times between that site and solunarforecast.com is the majors/minors on solunarforecast.com start on the dot for the Moon overhead/underfoot and rise/set times, whereas the usprimetimes site is an hour on each side of the Majors (moon overhead/underfoot). That may be why solunarforecast.com does not match up to JAK's book. I'll try try to compare the times on the primetimes website to JAk's book as soon as I get a chance - it will be interesting to see the comparison.

Edited by Nupe 5/2/2011 9:22 AM
Propster
Posted 5/2/2011 8:00 PM (#496422 - in reply to #496166)
Subject: Re: John Alden Knight Solunar tables

Glad a few of you are as perplexed as I was. Nupe, JAK book is not just an hour either side of OH or UF, sometimes it's a couple hours or more away. Anybody else know what's going on fill us in! Maybe it's simply that the web site is not affiliated at all with JAK, and their theory about the prime times just varies.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)