Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Bump Boards?

Message Subject: Bump Boards?
SMD
Posted 2/17/2011 5:47 PM (#482319)
Subject: Bump Boards?

Do bump boards harm muskies if used properly? This is controversial sorry if anyone is offended.
sworrall
Posted 2/17/2011 5:49 PM (#482322 - in reply to #482319)
Subject: RE: Bump Boards?

No.
SMD
Posted 2/17/2011 5:54 PM (#482323 - in reply to #482319)

Agreed. Thanks for the reply Steve I guess i am trying to understand the motive of an angler who would lecture others against there use. If the board is wet prior to use i can't possibly see a problem with its use.
sworrall
Posted 2/17/2011 6:16 PM (#482328 - in reply to #482319)
Subject: Re: Bump Boards?

Obviously, if you want even less stress on the fish, measure in the water and get 'close enough'. For an exact measure, the bump board gets it done.
jwelch
Posted 2/17/2011 6:47 PM (#482331 - in reply to #482328)

Try doing a search on this topic. There should be several on this forum.

Jeremy
esoxaddict
Posted 2/17/2011 7:47 PM (#482345 - in reply to #482319)

You know... We go out there and we throw lures with three treble hooks on them. When a fish hits that lure, we set the hook as hard as we can, ramming those same hooks through the fishes face. Then we drag the ****ers through the water backwards, against their will, while they are trying with all their might to escape. Then, when they are finally exhausted and laden with lactic acid, we drag them into a net and hold their head out of the water while we pry those same barbed hooks back out of their faces with a pair of pliers. If a bump board is going to kill them, you might as well shoot every one you catch, because they're going to die from being caught anyway.

Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/17/2011 7:50 PM (#482346 - in reply to #482319)

Anybody make there own bump boards? How do you do it?
Top H2O
Posted 2/17/2011 8:17 PM (#482353 - in reply to #482346)

SEARCH.
esoxaddict
Posted 2/17/2011 9:26 PM (#482358 - in reply to #482346)

Kirby Budrow - 2/17/2011 7:50 PM

Anybody make there own bump boards? How do you do it?

Seems a lot of guys make their own. I think the common practice is to start your ruler at 3"
lookin4_big_gurls
Posted 2/17/2011 11:03 PM (#482372 - in reply to #482358)

i like that last one...
Lunge Master
Posted 2/18/2011 12:54 AM (#482388 - in reply to #482319)

SMD - 2/17/2011 6:47 PM

Do bump boards harm muskies if used properly? This is controversial sorry if anyone is offended.
Not at all, SMD. Fish, all fish, are covered in a coating of slime that is very important to their health. One thing I have to commend the fly flinger guys for is their observance of wetting one's hands before handling a trout caught in a stream, for example. The average stream trout being 10" let's say, so easy from small net right at your knees to wet hands for handling, which they observe overall, most are cognizant of this and practice it. The whole fish fits in your hands held together right in front of you, right at your knees as you wade in the creek and everything goes just fine for the fish. No need for bump boards. Muskies? Well that's a bit different isn't it?
Don't forget the slime thing. Many regard muskies as being tough fish and stream trout as downright fragile. True for trout but it is not correct to assume a 15 to 30 pound or better fish is any less susceptible to trauma by being handled. Muskies -are- touchy fish that way. Their slime coat is just as important as that of the smallest minnow.
We all know the biggest and best in muskie fishing happens more in cold weather. It's easier to handle fish in jeans and a T- shirt in summer than in November in a parka and even big fish fair better so far as slime goes in summer, less physical contact for them with us. Being hugged by a human in a parka isn't so good for the fish, held to a great big slime removing sponge.
When you are wearing big fat winter clothes and sit for a picture with that fifty cradled, she is losing some slime bigtime.
Not to highjack your thread, SMD, just pointing out get those bump boards wet first, hands too, take a cue from the trout guys (read that in a Field & Stream from the 30's or 40's so I'll give them the nod) Don't let any fish intended to be released contact anything that isn't wetted down first.

NOW, About those boards- We have national sports with official balls, pucks, everything else. Muskie fishing is a sport too, no? Should there not be an OFFICIAL bump board for use in determining the length of muskies released? One with also a flexible girth tape attached?

horsehunter
Posted 2/18/2011 7:12 AM (#482397 - in reply to #482319)

Great post Lunge Master
I think there are a lot worse things that can happen to a muskie than the loss of some slime that regenerates. some things remove more slime than others. Carpets are a definite no, but even a wet rainsuit will remove some slime. I believe holding a fish vertically buy the gill plate does much more pernament damage than the loss of slime. Some fish seem to have much more slime than others wether related to water temp or other enviromental factors I don't know but these fish tend to loose more slime.
Posted 2/18/2011 8:57 AM (#482417 - in reply to #482319)

I have never understood the sticking the hands the first deal because when you reach into the water (net in the water) to get the fish. Trout are smaller and already out of the water sometimes.

Starting at 3'? Sweet Jesus thats nothing, Louie Spray and Cal Johnson started theirs after 10" LOL!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)