Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Matt Morgans. Minocqua ???

Message Subject: Matt Morgans. Minocqua ???
THROWINWOOD
Posted 12/8/2010 8:14 PM (#469635)
Subject: Matt Morgans. Minocqua ???

Anyone been there yet? How's the food,drink,service?
Is kennedys 50 lbr still there? Any info would be great !
Happy holidays to all.
jonnysled
Posted 12/8/2010 8:47 PM (#469644 - in reply to #469635)
Subject: Re: Matt Morgans. Minocqua ???

i went and met the new owners (from Madison) ... decor similar, same big bar and generally glad to see it opened up again. the chef comes with a good local reputation and did a great job on the meal we had. i think the fish has moved .... you'll have to ask jsloan where it ended up, i wanna say at kurt's but i can't remember.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 12/8/2010 9:33 PM (#469655 - in reply to #469644)

Is this in the old Bosakl's? I had more than a few in Bosaki's a few times during my ute. Cool place.

Kevin
THROWINWOOD
Posted 12/9/2010 10:26 AM (#469721 - in reply to #469635)

Let's hope they can fine tune a few things and make it as good as it was 10 years ago . Wish them luck ,been going there for 30 years . The place is a minocqua landmark and just ok wount do!
J.Sloan
Posted 12/9/2010 10:37 AM (#469723 - in reply to #469635)

As far as I know Kennedy's fish is displayed at Kurt's Island Sports in Minocqua, at least it was before I left.

It seems to be a trend among Northwoods restaurants, raise the prices and lower the portions/quality. Unfortunately this is becoming a very common occurrence. I can understand prices being raised on occasion as inflation raises the price on everything. But to lower the quality/portions at the same time is unacceptable in my opinion. When the rare occasion presents itself and we go out to eat, it is an every-shrinking short list of establishments we patronize in N.WI.

Sorry to hear of your poor experience at Matt Morgan's, hopefully you just hit it on a bad night. I was also excited to see them return that place to it's former high-standards. Hopefully people will let them know, in a tactful way, to step it up. I've brought up this issue to several restaurant owners in the area (many of which I am friends with) and they tell me 'can't afford to hire good help and can't afford to buy good food'. This results in empty parking lots on top of bad word-of-mouth.

JS

JS
strawberry
Posted 12/11/2010 9:24 AM (#469981 - in reply to #469723)

J.Sloan - 12/9/2010 10:37 AM

As far as I know Kennedy's fish is displayed at Kurt's Island Sports in Minocqua, at least it was before I left.

Sorry to hear of your poor experience at Matt Morgan's, hopefully you just hit it on a bad night. I was also excited to see them return that place to it's former high-standards. Hopefully people will let them know, in a tactful way, to step it up. I've brought up this issue to several restaurant owners in the area (many of which I am friends with) and they tell me 'can't afford to hire good help and can't afford to buy good food'. This results in empty parking lots on top of bad word-of-mouth.

JS

JS

Who had the bad experience? Thinking of stopping there when taking wife/kids to Waters this winter. Jason, where would you recomend eating up there? Also, is the Birch lake lodge further north, still serving the killer mexican food on wednesday or thursday nights?
Jomusky
Posted 12/11/2010 10:57 AM (#469990 - in reply to #469981)

Pub and Prime in St. Germain is awesome for prime rib and you must get the Polynesian Prawns.

Pope's on Gresham Lake for the Friday fish fry. I think they have it on Wednesday too. We usually plan our up North trips around making it to Pope's. It's a must do.

I think Birch Lake is South by Tomahawk. The one I ate at down there was excellent.

Sayner Pub for Pizza.

Little Muskie for a burger (ground sirlion) and they serve late.

Presque Isle Pub, (PI Pub) for burgers.

Blue Boyou (Manitowish Waters) for awesome cajun.

Spang's in St. Germain for Italian.

I'm looking forward to trying Matt Morgan's.
BNelson
Posted 12/11/2010 1:30 PM (#470014 - in reply to #469635)

strawberry....uh i mean Jason...just south of Hazelhurst is the Watering Hole on 51...good mexican, great fajitas
Minocqua Pizza Co. has killer pizza...Cory eats there everytime he's up I think! Shamrock in Lake Tom has great food...new owners/chef I believe that knows what he's doing in the kitchen... Popes does do a nice family style fish/chicken dinner that is hard to beat...
jonnysled
Posted 12/11/2010 1:38 PM (#470018 - in reply to #469635)

Chef Wes and his wife Tracey have "The Brick" formerly the Gas-Light in Lake Tomahawk ... from a Sandwich or Pizza to the best Sauce-Cuisine they got you covered. Among the best original food I've found anywhere and right here in the Northwoods.
strawberry
Posted 12/11/2010 2:19 PM (#470025 - in reply to #469635)
Subject: RE: Matt Morgans. Minocqua ???

No, it isn't in Tomahawk. Its in Presque isle and used to serve the best mexican in the northwoods as far as we were concerned. Its been 5 or 6 years and I was just wondering if the place was still open. Smokin hot food, waitresses, and views of the lake made it a nice place to stop after a day on the water.
strawberry
Posted 12/11/2010 2:23 PM (#470029 - in reply to #469635)

Forgot to mention, the pizza at Heart II bar and grill is very good/reasonable. It is located on the corner of 70 east and 51 a block from the little muskie. It isn't the prettiest place to look at, especially from the outside, but the pizza is worth the stop, and the service is fast and friendly. We hold our club outing feed there each June and it hasn't let us down in over 15 years. Order the 'za with light cheese and it will come out crispy, tasty, and still have plenty of cheese. If you like thin crust, give it a try.
jonnysled
Posted 12/11/2010 2:28 PM (#470030 - in reply to #470025)

strawberry - 12/11/2010 2:19 PM
Smokin hot food, waitresses, and views of the lake made it a nice place to stop after a day on the water.

had to read that one a couple times and make sure we were talkin' the same northwoods. "smokin-hot" is a relative term here
J.Sloan
Posted 12/11/2010 3:46 PM (#470043 - in reply to #469635)

Junion listed a bunch of good ones. I'll agree on The Brick as well, VERY good food. Four Seasons on Big Arb has a great fish fry, if your party has more than 4 they serve it family style. Yacht Club is good too, one of my favorite BLT's. Belle Isle used to have great food, haven't been there in awhile.
Looking forward to trying Morgan's for myself next time I'm home.
JS
MstormC
Posted 12/16/2010 1:53 PM (#470863 - in reply to #469635)

if you like horseradish you may want to check out Smugglers Inn, I think in Eagle River. And I'll buy you a beer if anyone can hold down the "Fire Breathing Dragon" shot!
NateOz
Posted 12/16/2010 2:04 PM (#470865 - in reply to #470863)

Although the campground closed, Al and Amy still serve food at Birch Lake Lodge in Winchester (a few miles south of PI). I think they still have a Mexican night and you can't beat their Friday fish fry. Anybody wanting an excellent all-you-can-eat fish fry in Northern WI should try it out.
strawberry
Posted 12/27/2010 3:54 PM (#472160 - in reply to #470030)

jonnysled - 12/11/2010 2:28 PM

had to read that one a couple times and make sure we were talkin' the same northwoods. "smokin-hot" is a relative term here

No doubt. However, coming from a couple hours south where it is easier to find things in the 'smokin hot' category, we found it surprising, the little gem that the Birch lake lodge was, in a few categories. Again, was only there a couple times but was delighted with service and product each time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)