Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Dunwright Lifelike Pike?

Message Subject: Dunwright Lifelike Pike?
muskie_man
Posted 3/2/2007 8:20 PM (#242542)
Subject: Dunwright Lifelike Pike?

This might be a dumb question and i might go DUH! after it but heres goes. i just got the 12 inch pike, how do you rig this thing? Do you just stick the back hook in the back of the tail? That is where i have been putting it but the bar holding the 2 hooks together keeps fouling up on the side of the bait. Any suggestions? Thanks!
thewal2
Posted 3/3/2007 8:51 AM (#242592 - in reply to #242542)
Subject: RE: Dunwright Lifelike Pike?

I actually have fished the bait already and here is what I did.

I have fished it stock when you hook it like a suzy sucker and it worked but you had to play with it often. I also used it after I modified it. Here is what I did.

on the 12 inch since this is the topic I did the following:

1) I replaced the metal leader connecting the front and back hook with a longer one.
2) I placed a hitchhiker in the section where the hook was supposed to be placed.
3) I had the new longer leader go through the hitchhiker hook and pinched the hitchhiker closed so the leader could slide back and forth, but not come out.

The result was a hook placed farther back that is held in a good position all of the time without having to fix it.

Edited by thewal2 3/3/2007 4:46 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(mod.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mod.jpg (40KB - 168 downloads)
muskie_man
Posted 3/3/2007 9:01 AM (#242595 - in reply to #242542)
Subject: Re: Dunwright Lifelike Pike?

Thanks for the suggestion! Pretty interesting on that modification!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(mod.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mod.jpg (52KB - 156 downloads)
cjrich
Posted 3/3/2007 9:01 AM (#242596 - in reply to #242542)

Very ingenious. I will attempt this same modification on mine.

The 12" incher is murder to be casting. Between the actual weight of the bait and the resistance from the lip. UUGGHH!

Thanks for sharing that.

Craig

Edited by cjrich 3/3/2007 9:03 AM
Dan Vogel
Posted 3/3/2007 9:59 AM (#242600 - in reply to #242542)

I got an e mail from Tim directing me to this site to see his modifications on the 12 incher. As is always the case, we get fantastic ideas from customers, this being one of them. I was concerned about the hooks getting tangled if we let both hang down freely. Of course if you lengthen the wire leader you avoid the problem. You will most likely see this modification in future production runs of the Lifelike pike. Thank you Tim.

Dan
Tim Kelly
Posted 3/3/2007 2:40 PM (#242625 - in reply to #242542)

Moving the front hook hanger forward a bit might be a useful mod as well for future models if possible?
thewal2
Posted 3/3/2007 4:44 PM (#242643 - in reply to #242600)

Dan Vogel - 3/3/2007 9:59 AM

I got an e mail from Tim directing me to this site to see his modifications on the 12 incher. As is always the case, we get fantastic ideas from customers, this being one of them. I was concerned about the hooks getting tangled if we let both hang down freely. Of course if you lengthen the wire leader you avoid the problem. You will most likely see this modification in future production runs of the Lifelike pike. Thank you Tim.

Dan

Dan,

Thank you for making a great bait, the changes I made will only make it easier to use, the original design is great and a pull stop retrieve almost makes me jump in the water. I now own 2 12 inch units and 3 8 inch ones.

Another Tip for people with this bait.

If suspending is key to your fishing success you may want to carry a few hook sizes with you. Water temperature, water clarity, and perhaps other things seem to effect the suspending of the baits, 1 small hook or 2 of them can fine tune the suspension of the baits. You may also need to place heavier hooks at times. Remember you can adjust weight using hooks or by screwing in rattles into the bait!

Tim
sputterbug
Posted 3/5/2007 10:50 PM (#243081 - in reply to #242643)

Great mod and photos!

I altered mine tonite, one large and one little. Can't wait to get 'em in the water.
thewal2
Posted 3/6/2007 7:04 AM (#243101 - in reply to #243081)

sputterbug - 3/5/2007 10:50 PM

Great mod and photos!

I altered mine tonite, one large and one little. Can't wait to get 'em in the water.

Ive found that the leader on the 12 inch one is perfect for the eight inch one. All you have to do is move it over and give it a hitch hiker...I also down sized the hooks on the 8 inch lure.

Tim
Musky Snax
Posted 3/6/2007 10:54 AM (#243131 - in reply to #242542)

It's always nice to see that lure manufacurers listen to the buying public and are willing to revamp their designs when needed. I wish you much success.
sputterbug
Posted 3/6/2007 11:17 PM (#243274 - in reply to #243101)

Ive found that the leader on the 12 inch one is perfect for the eight inch one. All you have to do is move it over and give it a hitch hiker...I also down sized the hooks on the 8 inch lure.

Tim

That's exactly what I'd done
sworrall
Posted 3/8/2007 10:35 AM (#243534 - in reply to #242542)

Dunright Lifelike Lures in action....

baitmaker66
Posted 3/8/2007 3:10 PM (#243594 - in reply to #243534)

What is the bait in the first video?? I was on the Dunwright web-site and didn't see anything like it.
thewal2
Posted 3/9/2007 2:32 AM (#243680 - in reply to #243594)

baitmaker66 - 3/8/2007 3:10 PM

What is the bait in the first video?? I was on the Dunwright web-site and didn't see anything like it.

Perhaps it is a new style or something...it seems to have a "gut" and the pikes I have have no gut. I wonder what that is.

Tim
DMcMusky
Posted 3/11/2007 8:44 AM (#244004 - in reply to #242542)

Tim - thanks for sharing that modification. I can't wait to throw this bait. Could you explain the hitch hiker addition a little more. Is this something you purchased or did you simply make this with wire and stick it in the bait with a little glue?
Thanks!!
thewal2
Posted 3/11/2007 9:49 AM (#244014 - in reply to #244004)

DMcMusky - 3/11/2007 8:44 AM

Tim - thanks for sharing that modification. I can't wait to throw this bait. Could you explain the hitch hiker addition a little more. Is this something you purchased or did you simply make this with wire and stick it in the bait with a little glue?
Thanks!!

Hitchhiker: The hitchhiker is for bass fishing, or at least that is where my friends and I got the idea. It can be made with wire and a pen or screwdriver is you are so inclined. The hitchhiker is basically a screw. You don't need to use glue or anything to keep it in although it might be a good idea to add some. Remember the hitchhiker is only used to hold the leader up, during a fight it does not matter if it falls out you can screw it back in.

I did get out fishing on Friday and threw the 8 inch one in the picture for a while. I moved a fish within the 10 minutes but could not get it to eat. I got the follow on a long pull pause retrieve just like if I was fishing a suick or something. The lure had to be adjusted 1 every 10 to 15 cast because there is so much action the hooks grab the formula X and you have to remove them.

I hope everyone likes the mod, I am now adding 2 split rings up front, one for the leader and one for the hook.

Good luck and hook a fatty!

Tim
thewal2
Posted 3/18/2007 6:09 PM (#245514 - in reply to #242542)

Threw the bait again this weekend. Moved a fish, again on a pull pause retrieve. The fish came up to the boat and then turned off. I tossed out in the direction of the fish and brought it back to the boat again only to have it turn off. Once again I tossed the bait and the fish came up again but wouldn't eat. I never saw it again after that one.

So i have been on the water 4 times with these lures and every time I have seen atleast one fish on them. I just cant seem to get them to eat. Oh well. I have a lot of confidence in the bait to show me a fish, sooner or later they will eat it.

Edited by thewal2 3/18/2007 6:10 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)