Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Fish! Fish! Fish! Dude get YOUR lure outta my way!!!!"
- (Added by: Muskie03)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> wire twisting tool help

Message Subject: wire twisting tool help
MrMuskie32
Posted 3/5/2007 5:00 AM (#242868)
Subject: wire twisting tool help

hi i new to twisting wire so big. but i make my own leaders and i was wondering what everyone was using to twist the wires for bucktails and in there through wire lures with heavy wire in them. where everyone got what they are using all i have been finding are ones that go up to .051" i dont think that is heavy enough. unless im wrong not sure? .i would like to know how big of wire everyone normal uses in there bucktails and topwater lures. and the best ways and tools to use to twist bigger wire. any help would be great thanks in advance for the help.

thanks mic
MrMuskie32
Posted 3/5/2007 6:20 AM (#242870 - in reply to #242868)
Subject: RE: wire twisting tool help

sorry just found that this ??? was posted not to long ago, must of passed right over it some how looking before i posted mine.. but any comments would still be good. wondering if it is the same as making leaders with bigger wire and tools?

mic

Edited by MrMuskie32 3/5/2007 6:30 AM
muskynightmare
Posted 3/5/2007 6:46 AM (#242876 - in reply to #242868)
Subject: Re: wire twisting tool help

I still use my Craftsman looping pliers and vice grips to twist heavy wire. I even twist Stainless steel bike spokes with them.
MrMuskie32
Posted 3/6/2007 7:40 AM (#243106 - in reply to #242876)

muskynightmare i looked for the craftsman looping pliers you said you used for wires and i havent been able to find them i was wondering if you could send me a link for them i wood like to get a pair any help would be great

thanks mic
Bytor
Posted 3/6/2007 8:13 AM (#243107 - in reply to #243106)

Most bucktails are tied on .051 wire and surface baits are on at least .062.
The pliers will work fine on .051 but would probably break after awhile if you are using it on .062. Some guys just use a nail that is pounded into a board to make their loop.
muskymeyer
Posted 3/6/2007 10:37 AM (#243126 - in reply to #242868)

If you go to www.mcmastercarr.com and do a search on round nosed pliers that will give you an idea of what you are looking for.

I bend the .062 wire pretty regular and use the larger of the two sizes listed.

Corey Meyer
muskyhunter63
Posted 3/6/2007 5:58 PM (#243216 - in reply to #243126)

I have been bending stainless bike spokes that are .072 with round nose pliers and vise grips. Takes a little practice but after a few tries you get the hang of it.
Beaver
Posted 3/6/2007 8:34 PM (#243243 - in reply to #242868)

I've been using vise grips for as long as I can remember, but all that I have ever used to form the perfect loop is a nail.
I pounded a nail right in the 2 x 4 leg of my tying bench, and after I tied a bucktail boady, I would simply wrap the wire arount the nail to form the loop, grab it with the vise grips and continue.
For leaders, when I'm using thinner wire, I've even used the handles on my compartment handles in my boat. I make leaders as I need them....when I forget to bring them, but always have a coil of wire.....and the handles of the storrage compartments are just right for leaders.
Beav
muskynightmare
Posted 3/6/2007 11:43 PM (#243279 - in reply to #243106)

MrMuskie32 - 3/6/2007 7:40 AM

muskynightmare i looked for the craftsman looping pliers you said you used for wires and i havent been able to find them i was wondering if you could send me a link for them i wood like to get a pair any help would be great

thanks mic

Here you go:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+General...
If you want to make the trip over from Eau Claire, I'd be happy to show you it in practice, (if you could have made it to The Sportsman 's Musky day, I was showing anybody who stopped by my table).
MrMuskie32
Posted 3/8/2007 2:05 AM (#243482 - in reply to #243279)

thanks for all the help and info looks like i will go with the pliers untill i find machine thats heavier or make some thing. also looks like i will buy some wire with loops on one end for now. can get pre looped wire close by. also went to sears to get the round nose pliers and they didnt have them there it was order online thing looks like ill have to order and wait. thanks again

mic
tphunter
Posted 3/12/2007 8:05 PM (#244332 - in reply to #242868)

Do a Goggle seach for Knipix. They have a heavy duty round nosed plyers called a 160 mm/6 1/4" The model number is 22 06 160. This is a very heavy duty hand tool that if you try to brake it I don't think you would be able too. The handle is red with yellow on it. Also Thorn Brothers has a different model of this same size plyers, it has a little different handle, not as heavy duty. I think the model number is 22 06 140. This tool isn't cheap but it will do what you need it to. This tool is hard to find but its worth it. I bend .051 wire and use no other tools in the making of inline spinners and leaders. I'm going to call Tom at Rollie & Helens tomorrow and let him know of this tool. Maybe you can get one from them also.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)