Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You can't catch fish sittin' on the @@@@ing couch! (line from Herbie)
- (Added by: MikeHulbert)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Wood for towaters

Message Subject: Wood for towaters
J Nail
Posted 1/24/2007 11:46 AM (#234087)
Subject: Wood for towaters

what kind of wood are you guys using to make topwater lures?
muskymeyer
Posted 1/24/2007 1:36 PM (#234118 - in reply to #234087)
Subject: RE: Wood for towaters

I mainly use red cedar but have used different white pines, larch, poplar, balsa and a few others as experiments.

Corey Meyer
pamuskyhunter
Posted 1/24/2007 6:17 PM (#234177 - in reply to #234087)

How does poplar work with making topwaters? Is it like pine and soak up water or not?
Gale
Posted 1/24/2007 10:13 PM (#234204 - in reply to #234087)

I used poplar for the first time on a tail-kocking bait this fall. It behaved a lot like larch and was also somewhat similar to basswood. Can't answer your question about it soaking up water like pine, but if that's your primary concern, then I wouldn't recommend using anything but cedar. Red or white cedar is best for topwaters -- bar none. Just don't make the mistake of trying to use aromatic cedar like the kind used in cedar chests and closets. If you do, major paint issues will develope the second your baits get hot in the sun.

One BIG advantage to poplar (over cedar) is how easy it turns on the lathe and cleans up with sandpaper.
muskymeyer
Posted 1/25/2007 9:54 AM (#234243 - in reply to #234087)

I agree with Gale . . . . red and white cedar are the best out there for topwater wood choices. Cedar clean up is a pain but a necessary evil. Larch cleans up real fast using sandpaper. Balsa is pretty wild, turns like butter and is super rough after using tools . . . . but sands smooth in a flash, although you lose alot of diameter pretty fast.

Corey Meyer
pamuskyhunter
Posted 1/25/2007 1:05 PM (#234273 - in reply to #234087)

Alright. thanks alot, i will jus tget some cedar.
Partycrasher
Posted 1/26/2007 9:52 AM (#234444 - in reply to #234087)

Does anyone else get sick from using cedar? I narrowed it down to only cedar many years ago. I get runny nose, sore throat, cough, etc. Then someone who was well versed in OSHA regulations told me that cedar dust in particular is very bad for you. Anyone else hear this? Wear a dust mask!
muskymeyer
Posted 1/26/2007 2:46 PM (#234484 - in reply to #234087)

While I have never gotten "sick" in the terms of throwing up, cedar is by far the one that causes me the most problems matching what you described along with a wheezy/tight chest feeling for awhile after using. What really seems to be the problem is during sanding the profiles, roughing out with tools on the lathe and drilling are fine. I don't make alot of lures but I could really see the cedar dust being a problem if I made large quantities. At times I will use a cheapie dust mask and even that seems to help quite a bit.

Corey Meyer
RJ
Posted 1/26/2007 3:40 PM (#234493 - in reply to #234087)

All fine wood dust is very bad to breath. Cedar is toxic and gives me headaches and makes my eye lids swell up. Rosewood is listed as one of the most toxic. Dust from beech and hemlock are listed as causing cancer. Basswood is one of the least dangerous. Maple on a toxic scale from 1 being the least toxic to 4 being the most is a 3. Studies show that people that are around fine wood dust much of their live develop a rare form of nasal cancer. So if you value your life get in the habit of wearing a good dust mask. Of course if you smoke and chew the hell with the mask.

THIS MEASAGE IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE GOOD OL' BOYS AT RJ REYNOLDS..........
Kazmuskie
Posted 1/27/2007 10:43 AM (#234568 - in reply to #234087)

Wear a dust mask. Period. Cedar dust will mess you up.
T-Bone
Posted 1/29/2007 11:33 AM (#234842 - in reply to #234087)

Hi, first time I've been on this site, great forums, alot of good advice. One question I have is about red cedar, is this the same stuff a person can buy at HD, Menards etc. or is there a differant species or better quality cedar? I just tried turning some on the lathe and yes, it's messy and tempermental, it does not hold together real well. Thanks!
muskiemaniac
Posted 1/29/2007 12:03 PM (#234846 - in reply to #234087)

Cedar = wearing a mask. But you should be wearing one whenever you're working on a lathe.

These masks work: 3M Particulate Respirator 8211, N95

They sell for less than $20 for a box of 10. I only put about 5-10 hours on the lathe per month and I make a point of changing masks each month just to be safe.

Suggested Applications: • Grinding • Sanding • Sweeping • Bagging • Cement • Textile • Lime • Buffing • Other dusty/hot operations.

Unfortunately they won't offer any protection for your eyes, but I would reccomend you wear a face shield or a good pair of safety glasses to eliminate as much exposure as possible.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(3M Particulate Respirator 8211, N95.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 3M Particulate Respirator 8211, N95.jpg (14KB - 156 downloads)
Bayboo_baits
Posted 2/1/2007 1:02 AM (#235446 - in reply to #234087)

Any wood that is bouant pine,poplar just remember one thing a muskie can and will sink its teeth into a wood lure the harder the wood the better hookset you get. And the longer it will last!!!!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)