Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Holy crap, look at the time. I'm missing Oprah. - Scott "Theedz" Thiede
- (Added by: Slamr)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> What do you need to start?

Message Subject: What do you need to start?
stinger
Posted 1/31/2007 8:42 AM (#235244)
Subject: What do you need to start?

Some truely incredible baits shown by you guys!!! I am blown away by the quality of these "basement" baits all of you are making.

Just curious though, if a guy wanted to do some baitmaking himself what would be the basic equipment he would need? And roughly how much should I expect to invest? Maybe there's a thread out there already that covers this. Looks like a great way to get to June without losing my mind.
stinger
Posted 1/31/2007 9:40 AM (#235263 - in reply to #235244)
Subject: RE: What do you need to start?

Or, is there a book that covers the basics of making muskie baits out of wood?
fatfingers
Posted 1/31/2007 10:02 AM (#235269 - in reply to #235244)

Small table jigsaw, belt sander, various grades of sandpaper, various types of wood stock, rubber cement, polycarbonate (commonly called "Lexan"), eyescrews for the hook hangers, sealer for the wood bodies, primer, various colors of paint, some type of sealer (Devcon2, Envirotex, or some variation), brushes, rotary tool and bits, heat gun or propane torch, rotisserie motor to build a lure spinner and the plywood and platform wood to build it, netting to paint scales, hooks in various sizes, lead sinkers or other type of weighting materials, drill and drill bits, foils for foiling, some type of material for cutting templates usually a form of clear semi-hard plastic or vinyl, a GOOD QUALITY airbrush (I favor Iwata), some type of workbench in a designated work area, some type of paintbooth with appropriate venting to the outdoors, hand tools such as small vice grips, pliers, needlenose, side cutters, small hammers, Xacto knives with various blade configurations, small files and rasps, lure eyes of various sizes and colors, precision measuring rulers with grid lines in both inches and centimeters, coat hangers to cut "S" hooks to hang the baits, shop vacuum, vise, small storage cases similar to that used to store smaller lures, lights for close work, rubber gloves, small paint storage containers for mixed/blended paints, cottom swabs, gram scales for precision weighting, small air compressor with regulator, extension cords, wire for line ties on longer crankbait bills, wire bender which you can fabricate with nails and a block of wood, and a very patient and understanding spouse.

I'm sure I've missed a few things here or there.

Of course, you can ease into it, buying a little at a time. Riverman told me when I started, that if I had any interest in selling baits (and I really don't) that I'd be better of getting a side job delivering pizzas because it would be more profitable on a per hour basis. Lol, he's got that right.

Cost? I hate to even think about it.
GMan
Posted 1/31/2007 10:15 AM (#235276 - in reply to #235244)

It really depends on what type of lures you want to start out with.... Several crankbaits can be made with a good band saw, router, and sander, but just like Muskie fishing, as you get into it you find there are better tools for each application and pretty soon your tackle box, er ah, shop, gets full of nifty stuff! I break it down into wood shaping (saws, routers, lathes, sanders, etc.), assembly (drill press, lead melting, components, hand tools, etc.) and finishing (air brush, sealers & paints, drying racks, stencils, decals, etc.). Again, you might start out small, but if you enjoy it, just like the fishing, it can really add up. Did I mention you'll also want different types of wood, too?
Posted 1/31/2007 10:25 AM (#235278 - in reply to #235263)

It all depends on what you want to do, I have about $2500 invested in wood working equip., airbrush and equipment etc. You can get by cheaper with buying blanks and painting them and adding hardware. I believe you can pick up an airbrush ,compressor and paints for about $350 . Making a drying rack another $150 or so. Hardware, blanks and finishing supplies another $50 to $150 depending on what you want and quantity. Theres also alot of trial and error. As far as books are concerned there are some out there but I have not read any of them. Oh yeah, I'm still a rookie, I am sure there are others experienced people who can give you more advice.
Posted 1/31/2007 10:27 AM (#235279 - in reply to #235244)

Looks like they beat me to the punch!!
muskynightmare
Posted 1/31/2007 7:55 PM (#235398 - in reply to #235244)

If you are married, what you really need is a GREAT relationship with your wife. With the exception of this year, the last two years, especially around shows, Lori thought that I was the basement dwelling troll who only came upstairs for Dinner, sleep, and "Mairital stuff". Invested a boatload of $, and got only, on the average, a 4% return on the last two years. Custom painting, on the otherhand, during the last 12 months, 150% return (on the average, cuz folks with more baits get better prices, like very frequent customers).
I made more on bucktails and leaders when I was doing those.
The business is tough.
I do not mind paying $20+ for a bait that the maker handeled through every step.
Basement guys, like Shane, A-Roz, Beav, Ev, Riverman, Doug Bradley, Gerry Carroll, Roger watters, Eric Larsen, and the rest of the fine folks on this board, keep the big folks in line.
The big guys need the little guys. Come up with the next best thing, and everyone will be better for it!

Edited by muskynightmare 1/31/2007 7:56 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)