Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Shallow Bulldawg mods

Message Subject: Shallow Bulldawg mods
djwilliams
Posted 12/31/2006 11:47 AM (#228816)
Subject: Shallow Bulldawg mods

I looked in the archives and found some things on bulldawg modifications. But nothing on getting shallow dogs to stop rolling over on the retrieve. This summer I took the rubber core thing out of a lead weight and crimped the lead onto the bottom treble and it seemed to stabilize the dawg well. After fishing this late fall I got to thinking about this and wondered if a faster retrieve might prevent the dog from spinning. Any other ideas to try.
Thanks,
Don
Billy B
Posted 12/31/2006 12:01 PM (#228819 - in reply to #228816)
Subject: RE: Shallow Bulldawg mods

if it is a singe strand wire then the wire might be bent to one way, if so bend it back to where it is straight. look to see if that is the problem, if not then try to slow down the retrieve.

Billy Brumett
Posted 12/31/2006 12:37 PM (#228826 - in reply to #228816)

The Shallow Dawg does not have enough lead to make it run straight without spinning; by adding extra weight you are defeating the object of this bait. the only way to fish them is with jerks and treat it like a jerk bait.
H2O
Posted 12/31/2006 6:46 PM (#228917 - in reply to #228816)

Since it is lighter weight, it's not very bottom heavy and likes to roll. It needs to be retrieved slower than the reg dawgs.
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/2/2007 10:44 AM (#229455 - in reply to #228816)

I have noticed the same thing, even when jerking it, though I only own an uptown mag dawg in the shallow version. While I've had good success with the little I've used it, I've messed around with it a bit to try and keep it from rolling, as I fish heavier currents alot. It seems that bending the nose down slightly helped. Bending it up, kept the lure higher in the column, and required a slower speed(maybe good at night?). Would like to hear more insigh on this from some of the 'experts' and would also like to know if you prefer the regular ones or the uptown dawgs in the shallow version. It seems the rubber is a bit easier to tear on the uptowns.

Edited by Reef Hawg 1/2/2007 10:44 AM
guts
Posted 1/2/2007 11:52 AM (#229466 - in reply to #228816)

read rob peterson's (muskynightmare on this sight) article in musky hunter it will help
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)