Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> "Hall Of Fame Cherry Picked Information"

Message Subject: "Hall Of Fame Cherry Picked Information"
Ryan W
Posted 3/6/2006 8:44 AM (#180988)
Subject: "Hall Of Fame Cherry Picked Information"

An article from the Milwaukee paper.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=405658
Posted 3/6/2006 12:50 PM (#181032 - in reply to #180988)
Subject: RE: "Hall Of Fame Cherry Picked Information"

In an interview, Arnold told me: "The hall's report that is posted on their Web site (www.freshwater-fishing.org) does not include thorough, good science, because we were not asked to do thorough, good science."

Instead, he said, he was asked to give a quick analysis and was not given full information.

"In general, I don't like science to be used as a tool to manipulate opinions," Arnold said. "You should never go to several experts … and cherry pick the results you want."

Brown denied that happened. "We weren't picking and choosing," he said. "We used the hard information that Goldfeld and Gallian gave us. There was nothing speculative about their findings and they supplied us with the math."

Brown said the board's decision to uphold Spray's record remains "firm and resolute."

The board is scheduled to discuss the letter later this month. But Brown said: "I don't know that there is any action needed to be taken as a result of this letter. To me, all it did was soften their (Gallian's' and Goldfeld's) position a little bit."

Brown said the board's decision was "largely based on the ten eye witnesses to the weighing and handling of the (Spray) fish," which he said was more important and less subjective than photo analysis.

"This fish was paraded around town for several days," he said. "There is no way a 54-inch fish could have been passed off as a 63 ½-inch fish."

These last quotes from Brown are just flat incorrect and misleading! There were only 4 witnesses to the late night weigh in... Louie, his two boat parterns and the postmaster.

The fish was not paraded around town for several days, after the weigh in (same day as catch) it was not seen again until AFTER MOUNTING.

Just how far are they willing to take this to keep the record in Hayward?

firstsixfeet
Posted 3/6/2006 1:40 PM (#181041 - in reply to #181032)

I am sick of the association, and their continuing claims.

I am also of the opinion that Rippingoff does not have ANY CREDIBLE RESEARCH TO BACK UP WHAT HE WRITES ABOUT A CREDIBILITY CONFILICT. Show me where he did the first iota of research. Can't can ya? So he doesn't need to be writing such a thing in his column. Until he gets in there and funds some hands on research I don't think he is even qualified to remotely evaluate the "he said-they said" in this thing. It is always great how these groups, and you know the other group I am talking about(musky restoration bunch) run to a writer to try and make their point in the court of public opinion, but hey, I'm sick of that too.
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/6/2006 1:46 PM (#181043 - in reply to #180988)

I'm sick of both sides!

Mike
Shep
Posted 3/6/2006 2:34 PM (#181050 - in reply to #181043)

Amen, Mike.

As for Rippinhoff, I could give a Shady Shat what he has to say. Here's a guy that had a great opportunity several years ago to educate his readership on the merits of catch and release. What did he do? Kept a 48" fish out of a lake that gets no stocking from the DNR.

As I have said previously. I truly believe that 90% of the people that visit the HOF in Hayward don't have any idea what is going on in regards to this, couldn't care less, and would rather get their picture taken in the mouth of the big muskie than with the "Current" world record.

Strip them all, and start over!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/7/2006 10:39 AM (#181188 - in reply to #181050)

It's kind of hard to get an unbiased verdict without a independent jury, i.e., especially when the defense attorney and the judge are one & the same.

sorry just couldn't resist!

Have fun!
Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 3/7/2006 6:09 PM
Barry
Posted 3/7/2006 10:51 AM (#181189 - in reply to #180988)

This thing is such a mess now, the hall needs to just let that record go before they end up dragging the whole town down with them. The real interetsing thing with the reporter, who was always pro Spray, is that he seemed to turn on him and his buddy Dettloff.
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 7/3/2006 10:33 PM (#199176 - in reply to #180988)

I agree mike, who cares really and it is a mess.............Pfeiff
Shep
Posted 7/6/2006 7:43 AM (#199461 - in reply to #199176)

That's no reporter, Barry. He's a joke. He can't hold a candle to his predecessor, Jay Reed. Now there was a man who truly loved the outdoors, and could handle a pen. Hard living man, with a gentle side, Jay Reed was an educator, as well as an entertainer. Rip is neither.

Like I said, this "controversy" is limited to just a few in the grand scheme of things. Probably 90% of the people that visit Hayward go there not because of the record, but for the big Musky and the Lumberjack shows. The WRMA will never get the FFHOF to change the record. They should stop wasting time and money trying. That is why I never gave to them in the first place. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Somebody should just catch a bigger fish, and then nobody will care about that Spray fish!
Posted 7/7/2006 7:15 AM (#199636 - in reply to #180988)

If records are to be kept they should be legit, plain and simple. At least it should not be some bogus Detloff cash cow like the Louie fish. No where in recorded history has a musky reached 70lbs by any means so dreaming of one to break the Harward record is not very logical. Running from the truth will not solve anything brother.
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 7/7/2006 10:40 PM (#199849 - in reply to #180988)

Boring is what this has gotten to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!Next topic please

Pfeiff
Posted 7/8/2006 11:51 AM (#199886 - in reply to #180988)

I find the record stuff very interesting to say the least, and was just rereading the thread and noticed this nugget.

"These last quotes from Brown are just flat incorrect and misleading! There were only 4 witnesses to the late night weigh in... Louie, his two boat parterns and the postmaster."

That means there was only 1 real witnesses to the Louie fish then (*only 1*) the postmaster. It would also seem logical that Spray and his boat buddies would only drive off into the night down that lonely road *only if* this meeting was pre-arranged.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)