Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Most Successful Bucktail - Non Standard

Message Subject: Most Successful Bucktail - Non Standard
Marley420
Posted 3/1/2024 12:49 PM (#1026821)
Subject: Most Successful Bucktail - Non Standard

What would be your most successful bucktail that wouldn’t be a standard, ie 8’s, 10’s or tinsel? I am looking for bucktails with different types of blades and material (hair or marabou). Have you had success with them in certain parts of the day or weather?
Thanks
Masqui-ninja
Posted 3/1/2024 3:02 PM (#1026825 - in reply to #1026821)
Subject: Re: Most Successful Bucktail - Non Standard

Marabou can be good for pressured fish, when you want to burn, or when you want a smaller profile. I like a single 9 or even a single 7 french or colorado blade.

I always have a few dozen of the old Fudally's Muskie Candy bucktails in my boat. Straight shaft, thin bucktail and #5 french blade I believe. Those things can really save a muskie trip. The single bladed Rabid Squirrel can be magic too.

My personal workhorse is a single thick 9 blade with a rubber skirt that I make myself, has a slow thump to the blade that they just aren't used to. I don't think the skirt matters too much other than the profile.

Another tip for very small single blades is to experiment with a solid wire leader. This can make a different sound in the water vs. a flouro or stranded wire leader that the fish seem to like.
dward
Posted 3/1/2024 9:40 PM (#1026831 - in reply to #1026825)

The 3 non- standards presentations I like

1.) Kramer Bros Revolutions

2.) 7/9 Trigger…….

3.). Hackel or Feathers on the back end, they seem to come alive in a different manor in the water…..
chuckski
Posted 3/2/2024 10:00 AM (#1026834 - in reply to #1026821)

Back in the 70's , 80's , and 90's when everybody fished with a true Deer hair Bucktail I would catch fish on Marabou or a tubes like Tony's Wizz. Then came the Cowgirl and the fish went crazy then after a study diet of those they cooled off. Today there are so many different options, Tinsel, Marabou, Tubes, Deer hair and the blade selection is endless. I bought a Bucktail Making Machine and I make all different types. What works best for me? None of them, If I go up North it's in the late fall and I'm throwing different things that work better then a tail. (fishing deep) Or I throw a single spin Spinnerbait.
If I would fish in the crowds of people in the summer I would walk by all the boats at the resort and look to see what people are throwing. Maybe they are throwing something that works and you could fallow suite or do the oppisite to give them a different look. Stay on the water and try different things intil you score.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 3/2/2024 2:58 PM (#1026841 - in reply to #1026834)

A really good one for me is the Lil Angry from Spanky Baits-https://teamrhinooutdoors.com/products/spanky-baits-new-lil-angry?_pos=1&_sid=5dd1bfc88&_ss=r
It has a a 9/0 Indiana blade with a #8 Colorado blade it has a different thump than anything else I have used and has put a lot of fish in the boat for me.
seems to really stand out in pressured waters but did really well on Eagle lake with it also.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

Handy1
Posted 3/2/2024 5:21 PM (#1026844 - in reply to #1026821)

I had when I lived in northern Minnesota and still have success with a Blue Fox Vibrax Super Bou when I come up north couple times a year in the double 8's with solid leader. Most of my follows are with this bucktail in any color, as long as it is black with silver blades.
miket55
Posted 3/2/2024 11:18 PM (#1026847 - in reply to #1026821)

I like to throw what nobody else is..
Marley420
Posted 3/3/2024 10:45 AM (#1026854 - in reply to #1026821)

All interesting replies. Thanks. I remember years ago watching a Jimmy Houston Outdoors. One time he was talking about different blades on spinnerbaits. His logic was Colorado blades for stained or dirty water and willows for clear water. Do you think there is any truth to that statement in anyone’s past? I don’t have enough catches to determine that statement.
chuckski
Posted 3/4/2024 8:57 AM (#1026865 - in reply to #1026821)

I put snaps on all my Spinnerbaits, (to change blades) quality ball barring on my single bladed models so they will spin with ease on the drop if to say helicoptering or even a slow roll. I put a cheap barrel swivel on my double bladed models for more thump. I use different sizes and styles of blades to control depth.
chuckski
Posted 3/4/2024 8:58 AM (#1026866 - in reply to #1026821)

I put snaps on all my Spinnerbaits, (to change blades) quality ball barring on my single bladed models so they will spin with ease on the drop if to say helicoptering or even a slow roll. I put a cheap barrel swivel on my double bladed models for more thump. I use different sizes and styles of blades to control depth.
jdsplasher
Posted 3/4/2024 10:09 PM (#1026879 - in reply to #1026854)

Marley420 - 3/3/2024 10:45 AM All interesting replies. Thanks. I remember years ago watching a Jimmy Houston Outdoors. One time he was talking about different blades on spinnerbaits. His logic was Colorado blades for stained or dirty water and willows for clear water. Do you think there is any truth to that statement in anyone’s past? I don’t have enough catches to determine that statement.

Jimmy was a great communicator, and seminar speaker. Very entertaining!  Colorado definitely more thump in dirty water will get noticed. Willows just don’t have the lift of a Colorado, so will generally run deeper, thus the clear water theory. Spot On!

JD

C_Nelson
Posted 3/5/2024 7:43 PM (#1026899 - in reply to #1026821)

Figure 8's Big Daddy with #8 fluted blades or one of Figure 8's new Battle Series with a single #9 fluted blade. Glamdring is nearly 12" long and Orcrist is 9"-10" long. Love the action and durability of the silicone skirting. Great color selections too. Spinnerbaits? Hands down The Bomb (fluted blades) or Flashbang (willow leaf blades) from Figure 8. Don't look past Figure 8's So-Lo series (Probe {single willow leaf} or Thumper {single #9 fluted}) either.
muddymusky
Posted 3/7/2024 4:48 PM (#1026921 - in reply to #1026821)

Eagle tail
southern comfort
Posted 3/9/2024 10:04 AM (#1026951 - in reply to #1026821)

I have had success switching over to skunk tails. Hard to find but they are around.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)