Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Shoulder Injuries

Message Subject: Shoulder Injuries
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 9/3/2023 9:18 AM (#1023359)
Subject: Shoulder Injuries

Has anyone ever experienced shoulder problems from fishing too much? I'm young, so I'm ok for now, but I'd like to avoid should problems in the future from casting 6 ounce lures for 12 hours a day. Does anyone have any tips or ways to avoid shoulder problems aside from trolling?
North of 8
Posted 9/3/2023 9:28 AM (#1023361 - in reply to #1023359)
Subject: RE: Shoulder Injuries

PennsylvaniaMuskie - 9/3/2023 9:18 AM

Has anyone ever experienced shoulder problems from fishing too much? I'm young, so I'm ok for now, but I'd like to avoid should problems in the future from casting 6 ounce lures for 12 hours a day. Does anyone have any tips or ways to avoid shoulder problems aside from trolling?

There are exercises you can do to aid casting. I am 72 and about 20 years ago, a trainer at the YMCA I belonged to showed me several exercises I still do. One is triceps pull downs and skull crusher with a rope handle. Your triceps do a lot of the work in casting. Another is hammer curls. Hammer curls are similar to standard dumbbell curls but the dumbbell is held perpendicular to the floor. This provides a better work out for your forearms. A final exercise is seated overhead rows. This works your upper back and the back of your shoulders.
If you strengthen your triceps, forearms and upper back, you will put less strain on your shoulders. The guy that worked with me was retired military but had been a certified trainer for decades and while still in the Air Force he worked with surf casters on the east coast. They use huge rods and heavy weights.
chuckski
Posted 9/3/2023 12:12 PM (#1023367 - in reply to #1023359)
Subject: Re: Shoulder Injuries

Let your rod do the work, find a pond in your neighborhood and cast yourself into shape. Lift weights or use tubes or bands with high reps low weight/resistance. For your shoulders work all three heads of your deltoids. (get a book or look on the internet
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/3/2023 6:27 PM (#1023371 - in reply to #1023359)

Hit the gym and stay healthy. That’s the only option.
dickP
Posted 9/4/2023 6:55 AM (#1023374 - in reply to #1023359)

Yes by all means develop a short series of exercises that work for you. There are lots of ‘shoulder’ exercises that can really help. Incorporate ‘stretching’ exercises into your series.
I say ‘short’ cause in my case if it wasn’t it wouldn’t get done every AM. I say ‘work’ cause that is what casting hour after hour is. If not for the mystery/expectations involved most would quit,pray they got fired, be on worker's comp or take early retirement.
North of 8
Posted 9/4/2023 7:29 AM (#1023376 - in reply to #1023374)

I would add that the shoulder joint is not real robust. Nolan Ryan when he was pitching had a vigorous workout routine, but never lifted anything over 25 pounds overhead. Instead of using the shoulder muscles and joint to apply force, focus on triceps, forearms, lats and other upper back muscles. A strong core is a huge help in that it allows you to pivot repeatedly applying force that way. I see young anglers raising the rod very high in the air, putting tremendous pressure on the shoulder. Not a good idea for long term shoulder health.
Another thing is start out with lighter baits, shorter casts, getting the blood flowing to the muscles that are doing the work. Warming up is very important.
chuckski
Posted 9/4/2023 8:19 AM (#1023377 - in reply to #1023359)

Nolan Ryan pitched for forever and I remember like it yesterday going to see play at Angel Stadium when I lived in SO. Cal. as a kid. On the same note some of the Tennis Players who skipped tournaments and took some heat went on to play longer and had the last laugh.
southern comfort
Posted 9/4/2023 11:54 AM (#1023385 - in reply to #1023359)

I am 73, started fishing muskies in my 20's and average 50-70 days fishing per year. I have 4 strategies that have worked to keep my shoulders/body healthy all these years.

1. Switched to longer poles as soon as they came out. First 8ft, then 9ft and now 9.5ft
2. Have worked out on a rowing machine for 30 years. Great core body workout.
3. Lift free weights ... a lot of reps with 20-25 lb dumbells
4. A lot of stretching

BillM
Posted 9/5/2023 1:42 PM (#1023419 - in reply to #1023359)

Switch arms when casting
YakMuskySR
Posted 9/5/2023 4:12 PM (#1023427 - in reply to #1023359)

Agree with those who mention lifting free weights and hitting the gym. Using good form with weight lifting focused on strengthening the shoulder, bicep, tricep, and forearm muscles, you will be able to fish longer and harder than your buddies.

Edited by YakMuskySR 9/5/2023 5:16 PM
bloatlord
Posted 9/5/2023 5:25 PM (#1023432 - in reply to #1023359)

Left shoulder was destroyed due to bjj and military service. Labrum, rotator cuff, biceps tendon, all with partial or complete tears. I have to mix in trolling with casting or I will pay for it. Stretch and rotations before hand to work out the stiffness.
chuckski
Posted 9/6/2023 10:16 AM (#1023465 - in reply to #1023359)

Use a vibrating ball after you workout or a hard days casting.
Abu7000
Posted 9/7/2023 8:10 PM (#1023524 - in reply to #1023359)

Let the rod do the work. Use a rod that will throw the lure you want to use...there is no rod that will throw every type or weight bait....If you load the rod, and keep your elbows tight to your body, there is no strain on your shoulders. Pretty simple with all wrists and elbows...back cast, load the rod, push back with bottom hand as you come forward for the cast. With practice, you can cast pretty darn far and only move my hands 18"-20". If you are struggling to cast, either change the lures or change the rod.
C_Nelson
Posted 9/7/2023 9:55 PM (#1023528 - in reply to #1023359)

Shoulders are not the issue for me. No lifting. No stretching. Just fish...and fish HARD. Now, with that said about my shoulders, I will say my wrists are completely screwed. What do I do to deal with it? Tylenol, and lots of it. Plus, mental endurance (or just stupidity) to ignore the pain. Mind over matter I guess. I pay the price dearly by the end of the season, but thankfully the Wisconsin winters give me time to recuperate. If your wrists bother you, get the heavy braces to wear at night. They take the pressure off of the nerves in the wrist while you sleep giving them a bit of a break.

Edited by C_Nelson 9/7/2023 9:59 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)