Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> You hooked a monster and lost it boatside. Now what?

Message Subject: You hooked a monster and lost it boatside. Now what?
joh10891
Posted 9/7/2022 8:41 AM (#1011481)
Subject: You hooked a monster and lost it boatside. Now what?

So was fishing a spot and I hooked a very large one. Came off by the boat. We made some casts with other lures and got some very lazy follows. I'm somewhat confident I've raised this fish on the exact spot in previous years. Well above 50", very nice fish,

So the question is- what should my game plan be? Wait for a day, then throw the same lure I hooked it on? Different color? Totally different lure? Different time of day? My concern is that it'd shy away from the exact lure it was just hooked on...
chuckski
Posted 9/7/2022 9:51 AM (#1011485 - in reply to #1011481)
Subject: Re: You hooked a monster and lost it boatside. Now what?

Rest her a few days then go back at the same time of day, As far as lure ??? not sure What did you hook her on ECT? Are you on vacation? close to home? One year we raised the biggest fish we ever seen of course it was the last night of the trip the next day we had to go home. (this fish never come close to hitting) We had a trip where my dad had a big one hit and come off right away. The next year fishing the same spot she hit again on the same lure (we did not see her but it was big) She hit dad set the hook and his rod doubled over then she was off. What the !!!!. Reels in half a leader. He was fishing a old Eddie bait and he must of had a kink or something in his leader it broke! what a sick feeling. My dad was in his 80's and could not see real well, I wish I would have cheeked his tackle. Dad is gone and I have all his Eddies and I've redone all the leaders.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/7/2022 10:02 AM (#1011486 - in reply to #1011481)

Pretty tough to trick her again, depending on how bad you stuck it. I would just keep fishing the spot as usual and hope that one day she comes back and eats.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 9/7/2022 10:09 AM (#1011487 - in reply to #1011481)

Keep going back and try new things. Maybe go to live bait to get it to hit again. Hope it’s still there.
FlyPiker
Posted 9/7/2022 11:15 AM (#1011493 - in reply to #1011481)

If you're going back within a day or two, check smaller spots adjacent to that spot. In my experience, if they get hooked they tend to move onto secondary spots nearby for a short time before they either go back on the prime spot, or seemingly dissappear forever,. Returning only to haunt me in my dreams.
happy hooker
Posted 9/7/2022 12:11 PM (#1011500 - in reply to #1011493)

snag it
jdsplasher
Posted 9/7/2022 12:16 PM (#1011504 - in reply to #1011493)

Instead of worrying about what bait to use…..Evaluate your equipment. Rod too stiff? Hooks too beefy. Hook to small for bait? Maybe add a trailer. Maybe open gap on hooks a slight bit? Do the 3 side sharpening….etc,etc.

Fish R stupid! They won’t recognize the same lure any time soon!

Hook preparation is Huge!

JD 

Edited by jdsplasher 9/7/2022 12:21 PM
mikie
Posted 9/7/2022 1:15 PM (#1011507 - in reply to #1011481)

Just blame your partner and keep casting. m
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/7/2022 2:28 PM (#1011513 - in reply to #1011507)

mikie - 9/7/2022 1:15 PM

Just blame your partner and keep casting. m

Best thing stated on here in a while!
Ciscokid82
Posted 9/7/2022 3:23 PM (#1011514 - in reply to #1011481)

I didn’t talk to the other guy the rest of the day when he screwed the net job. Luckily I got 3 over 52” over the next couple days, but boy oh boy the one that got away…..
raftman
Posted 9/7/2022 8:41 PM (#1011519 - in reply to #1011514)

Ciscokid82 - 9/7/2022 3:23 PM

I didn’t talk to the other guy the rest of the day when he screwed the net job. Luckily I got 3 over 52” over the next couple days, but boy oh boy the one that got away…..

I got the silent treatment from my wife one trip. Always carried the musky net in the boat, even for mid summer bass outings. For some reason I made a point of taking the net out for one bass outing and she managed to have an upper 40” musky chomp down on a bass she hooked up with. Bass got free but hook ended up in the muskys mouth. She got it to the boat twice but got bit off soon after.
mikie
Posted 9/8/2022 8:56 AM (#1011531 - in reply to #1011481)

Me wife caught a bass in a farm pond and gave it to me to take to the stringer. I dropped it, got away.
40 years later she still reminds me every now and then. m
kap
Posted 9/8/2022 9:13 AM (#1011536 - in reply to #1011481)

this your story all you need to is write the next chapter or two. I've hear of a case were a 55'' was lost twice in one day and caught on the third bite. I have also heard never saw this fish again ever. If it bit once i will probaly go again just be there when its's ready to go again. could be today cold be next week cold be next year same time same day.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/8/2022 10:35 AM (#1011542 - in reply to #1011481)

Just found out someone caught the same 50 incher last weekend that I caught August 14th. Same spot. So keep trying.
esoxaddict
Posted 9/8/2022 11:54 AM (#1011545 - in reply to #1011542)

I had the same fish follow 13 times over the course of several days. She was a big blondie, tucked into a little slot in the rocks just big enough to fit a fish. I never did get her to open her mouth but she chased at least three different lures, sometimes multiple times a day. Someone I know got a 54" in the same area a few days later, so maybe it was her? Another time we were fishing a small bay and my buddy was telling me about a fish they caught in there a few days earlier that managed to get one hook in the mouth and the other two on top of it's head, Two casts later here comes the same fish off the same spot. You could see all the marks on her head plain as day.

So there's at least one that didn't learn.

Fishing the "urban fisheries" it's pretty rare to catch one that doesn't show some sort of evidence of being caught at least once. They're a lot dumber than we like to think.
joh10891
Posted 9/8/2022 7:33 PM (#1011566 - in reply to #1011481)
Subject: RE: You hooked a monster and lost it boatside. Now what?

Thanks for the advice, wisdom, and anecdotes all! For context- it was trout water, rock bar, fishing an XL beaver in a natural pattern. Fish must've gone for the head, because I saw teeth marks and must've not been hooked good. Rock bar roughly the size of a golf course green, surrounded by deep water.
Today was the last day of the trip- went back to the rock bar throwing a shadzilla. Trolling motor off, outboard off, drift towards it with the wind. Bomb cast, thunk, set the hook. Heart stops; I assume it's the one. Low 40" fish, not the monster. Set up again for a drift toward the bar, literally next cast, thunk, set the hook. High 40" fish, comes off boatside. Didn't see that monster again and won't until next year. But I guess a lesson that hadn't come across my mind is that in fishy spots, there may be many other active fish, so it's worth throwing at even if your main fish has gone shy.
Nershi
Posted 9/8/2022 8:41 PM (#1011571 - in reply to #1011481)

If I have to go back on a fish lost its the same bait I lost it on or with a topwater. Depends how hot the fish is. If she is real hot I go back with a bucktail regardless of the bait I got it on. In the cold spring I may throw a slow bait such as a WTD or glide bait on the next pass.

We’ve had a few times where we lose a good one and catch it within 10 mins with the same bait. Sometimes we give em a 5-10 min rest if they were hooked long. I’ve had fish eat a second time after coming unhooked on the same cast. If they are fired up enough you could catch em on a roasted turd.

That’s a cool follow up story. Spots that produce fish are always worth multiple looks. Especially on an isolated like you describe. Fish filter in. Sometimes when you pull a big one off a prime spot the smaller ones move in. I think fish know the prime spots but if a big mama is there they can’t sit on it.

Edited by Nershi 9/8/2022 9:02 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 9/8/2022 9:23 PM (#1011573 - in reply to #1011571)

Good point on keeping at it even though the one you wanted might be gone. We've had that happen as well. Pulled 4 from 45" - 48" all on the same small spot, all in about 30 minutes. Meanwhile a few other guys we knew were literally just around the corner from us, and caught nothing. Passed them on the way out... "You guys still here?!" "Yeah." "Anything?" "Nope. You?" "Got 4!" "What, just now? Since we saw you last?!!"
BillM
Posted 9/14/2022 1:56 PM (#1011764 - in reply to #1011481)

Break out the live scope and stalk her until ice up, hoping she eats a live sucker.
redskeet100
Posted 9/14/2022 9:06 PM (#1011787 - in reply to #1011481)

During my Canada trip on Eagle this summer, was fishing an island complex. South tip had a 52-53 inch follow, hit at the boat, then massive head shake and she get off. Was so disappointing. Next day about same time hit the complex again. She was on the North tip of the island in a cup with weeds. She followed top water and came in hot. She did a uturn right at the boat. Pretty sure was same fish. She was hooked day before and seems like she was ready to feed again next day. Keep checking it is what i would do, and move around the area as she could be a 50-100 yards in any direction.
sworrall
Posted 9/15/2022 7:57 AM (#1011798 - in reply to #1011481)

I lost my personal best on Wabigoon twice. Third time was the charm, she didn't move for an entire season.
chuckski
Posted 9/15/2022 9:42 AM (#1011803 - in reply to #1011481)

My dad had lost a very big fish right in front of my grandparents home this fish was caught later in the fall down the shore by a guy fishing a sucker off his pier. 26 years later to the day he caught it's twin in the Winnipeg River. If he caught the 1977 fish it would have got wacked the 2003 was released. My dad caught a large Wisconsin Muskie when he was young and had it mounted and he caught on 4th of July his Canadian Winnipeg fish was caught on 1st of July. Both fish on Independence day of the two counties.
vegas492
Posted 9/15/2022 3:40 PM (#1011820 - in reply to #1011481)

In that scenario....
I'd recommend you sit down shortly thereafter and indulge in a good pour of bourbon.
Let a few tears out. Curse a little bit.

Then go back at midnight and cast a topwater bait at her.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)