Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: missouri??? they have muskies!!???
- (Added by: missourimuskyhunter)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Adding color

Message Subject: Adding color
chuckski
Posted 9/21/2022 11:20 AM (#1012026)
Subject: Adding color

I fish a lot with the older plastic lures Ernie, Jake, and Believer ECT. On some of my lures I would like to change just part of the color pattern (the belly for example) whats the best way to go about this? (do I need to prime or sand ECT.) Thank you for your input.
jdsplasher
Posted 9/22/2022 5:44 AM (#1012050 - in reply to #1012026)
Subject: RE: Adding color

Yes, if your doing just a belly strip…..maybe just rub it up or out with a medium steel wool, tape off what isn’t being painted, primer, then paint.

When I do jakes, or grandma’s that I’m painting the whole bait, then I use a belt  sander, sand down, then primer, paint. After sanding, at times, I’ll use some Mineral Spirits on a rag to clean up residual paint, and dust , before painting.

JD 

Edited by jdsplasher 9/22/2022 5:56 AM
North of 8
Posted 9/22/2022 8:13 AM (#1012052 - in reply to #1012050)
Subject: Re: Adding color

I don't do baits but I do a lot of woodworking. One thing I would caution is to make certain the final finish you are going to use plays well with the primer and the cleaning solution you use. For instance the two part epoxy finishes you use for bar tops, etc. cannot be used with surfaces that have been cleaned with mineral spirits or tack cloths, it requires acetone or alcohol be used for cleaning dust. Most of the time, not a problem but just something you want to take a couple minutes and read directions carefully.
chuckski
Posted 9/22/2022 11:18 AM (#1012057 - in reply to #1012026)
Subject: Re: Adding color

Gentlemen thank you for your replies this will get me pointed in the right direction. Thank you again!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)