Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Enjoying the fight

Message Subject: Enjoying the fight
Muskie101
Posted 5/8/2022 6:06 AM (#1006197)
Subject: Enjoying the fight

How do you guys enjoy the fight with the heavier line is there any way besides using lighter line to still get a good fight
OH Musky
Posted 5/8/2022 6:58 AM (#1006199 - in reply to #1006197)
Subject: Re: Enjoying the fight

To me, the line weight doesn't make a difference in the "fight". I use 50, 65, 80 and 100 lb braid but for different techniques or rod/reel setups. My leaders are either 100 or 135 fluoro, straight wire or 7-strand, again depending on what I'm tossing. The fish fight the same regardless. If I'm tossing bass lures on a MH rod with 50 or 65 lb braid, it's more the rod than anything else that dictates how quickly I get the fish in. Jigging with 100 lb line on a TI XXXH rod (one of the mislabeled XH models from a few years back) can be "sporting" due to the stiffness of the rod, not wanting to pull the hooks out but wanting to get the fish away from structure at the same time. I fish a lot of timber and shale banks in our local lake. Keeping fish out of the wood and off the sharp rocks is definitely a good fight regardless of what line I'm using. I enjoy every fish I get hooked up, even the ones that manage to elude the net. But that is just my take on it...ymmv.

Edited by OH Musky 5/8/2022 6:59 AM
ToddM
Posted 5/8/2022 7:21 AM (#1006200 - in reply to #1006197)

Musky fishing isn't about the fight. it's about the hunt and getting them to strike. Once hooked all we are worried about is landing them. They aren't great fighters. Smallmouth on light tackle a better battle.
mikie
Posted 5/8/2022 9:02 AM (#1006203 - in reply to #1006197)

Once you get the fish boatside and she starts to wear out some, smack her on the tail with a paddle and hit the freespool.
Me, I only fish for the Follows. m
happy hooker
Posted 5/8/2022 9:44 AM (#1006204 - in reply to #1006203)

To me its All about the fight,,I don't get it guys spend hours,days weeks sometimes and then when they hook into one they want it in the net in 20 seconds,,"WHY" what are you going to do with it???
Sell it to the Japanese for sushi,,feed your family with it, This is finally the fish that gets you on the cover of time magazine?? Nobody's saying fight it to exhaustion but LET it be a musky!!! Its known for its fighting ability NOT
its photogenic quality.
"Oh my god he might jump" personally I hope EVERY musky I hook jumps at least three times rips off runs where its in control and I'm just hanging on and surges at the side of the boat in a FU gesture of "no im not done yet"
In a perfect world I would wish they would throw the hooks at the side of the boat after i get a good look at them so I don't have to mess with unhooking them. I don't need a picture I'm not trying to prove anything in a tiny sport,,bore somebody with a picture of my 44incher and if I don't remember that one its because it didn't give me a great fight.
Of all the things in musky fishing this is the ONE thing I do not get??? I watch you tubes of guys hooking a fish at the side of the boat and 7 seconds latter its in the net and their high 5ing?
This year I'm buying and using my first ever musky spinning rod combo which will be a fun change and looking forward hopefully to fight club memories!!!

Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/8/2022 9:59 AM (#1006205 - in reply to #1006197)

If the water is cool, I don't mind the idea of enjoying the fight a bit. Not worth stressing the fish out when the water is warm imo.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 5/8/2022 10:32 AM (#1006206 - in reply to #1006197)

I’ve lost a lot to lighter gear. I fish some faster waters with heavy rapids once they get in there they are gone. So I’d had to go heavy just to get them in. Depends on the water your fishing but if you want a fight and not worried about landing them cause it’s a 50 50 chance. then a 9foot 10 lb mono line with a steel leader. Don’t play them to hard. There’s a reason they tire quickly.
7.62xJay
Posted 5/8/2022 11:52 AM (#1006212 - in reply to #1006197)

Try fishing em in one of those inflatable fishing sofa chairs that are powered by your feet and fins. That outa be a thrill I'll bet
Ciscokid82
Posted 5/8/2022 2:11 PM (#1006214 - in reply to #1006204)

You should try tarpon if you want a fight. Muskies just don’t fight that hard, like was said earlier - it’s about the hunt. That’s why a lot of Muskie guys are also big game hunters
Angling Oracle
Posted 5/8/2022 2:26 PM (#1006215 - in reply to #1006197)

If getting a good fight from a muskie is a priority then you are catching too many muskies - time to go for something else, like catfish or carp.
chuckski
Posted 5/8/2022 2:46 PM (#1006217 - in reply to #1006197)

I own different rings for different lures for Muskie fishing, back in the day we leave Colorado for Wisconsin on Thursday afternoon drive all night stop at R&H on Friday afternoon get to our resort unload off to a action lake with some luck get a
fish or two then off to Friday night fish fry (Honey Bear). Then we'd fish lakes looking for Big. I for the record I like to fish for different things Walleyes, Smallmouth, Pike and Perch. I own 4 ultra light rods if I want a fight. Trout here at home too.
TCESOX
Posted 5/9/2022 9:11 PM (#1006265 - in reply to #1006197)

Torpedo shaped fish are not hard pullers, pound for pound. They are fast (high gear) If you want a hard pulling fish, fish for disc shaped fish (low gear).
North of 8
Posted 5/9/2022 9:53 PM (#1006266 - in reply to #1006215)

Angling Oracle - 5/8/2022 2:26 PM

If getting a good fight from a muskie is a priority then you are catching too many muskies - time to go for something else, like catfish or carp.

The late A.J. McClane, long time fishing editor of Field and Stream magazine, as well as many books on fishing, once answered a question from a reader about the hardest fighting fresh water fish. He ticked a lot of readers off by stating flatly that if fight was what you wanted, fish for carp. He said a 5lb carp would pull a 10lb brown trout inside out. I fished for them a lot growing up near the Wis. River back when it was an industrial sewer. When they got really big, over 25lb, they tended to just go to the bottom. But a 10lb carp more than once spooled one of us on spinning rods with drags set to the breaking point. We used to buy 1,000 yards spools of ten pound line and hope it would last the summer. Fishing was best when they were processing green beans and pumping the bean waste directly into the river. The carp would be thick in the waste stream.
chuckski
Posted 5/10/2022 9:21 AM (#1006281 - in reply to #1006197)

Thank God for the clean water act!
cdubs
Posted 5/12/2022 10:44 AM (#1006319 - in reply to #1006197)

I could care less about the fight. It is truly about the hunt for the biggest predators in the system and then trying to get it to hit. Like Cisco said, it's like big game hunting. I'm not out to kill a deer, I want to find the biggest deer in the area and then get close enough to get an arrow in it.
Nershi
Posted 5/12/2022 8:46 PM (#1006328 - in reply to #1006197)

Lake Muskies don’t fight too good for the most part. Big Muskies that live in rivers fight like crazy. Some will kick your butt.

In general long fights aren’t good for the fish unless the water is cold. Spring and fall when the water is cool are the times it’s okay to target them on lighter gear.

If you want a fight you should start fishing salt water. All fresh water fish fight like nothing compared to salt fish.
7.62xJay
Posted 5/13/2022 9:18 AM (#1006336 - in reply to #1006197)

(Homer) Mmmmmmmmmmmm...Salt Fish...Aglaglaaaaaa.
BillM
Posted 5/13/2022 10:02 AM (#1006340 - in reply to #1006197)

People wanting a 'fight' have picked the wrong species.
phselect
Posted 5/13/2022 10:51 AM (#1006341 - in reply to #1006197)

The fight varies. Some fish just flop a couple times and you scoop 'em. Others are line-stripping acrobats. Depends on how and where in the retrieve they hit, usually. I get that the ultimate goal is to land them as quickly as possible. However, I've had several 38"-40" fish fight like they were a 17 lb smallmouth... and I was using a 7'6" medium heavy. I don't imagine they would've been near as much fun with a 9'6" extra heavy rod.
happy hooker
Posted 5/14/2022 8:58 AM (#1006356 - in reply to #1006341)

I'm wondering??? People here are downgrading the muskie has a fighter and doesn't make a good account of itself
So,,,,
Why do you fish for them?
It isnt for the taste of the flesh,,if its for their ability to hit lures and topwaters you can find all of that in large mouth bass,,if its all about the challenge of finding one why is everybody wanting to make it easier with live scope and side imaging.

7.62xJay
Posted 5/14/2022 9:04 AM (#1006357 - in reply to #1006197)

How haven't I or anyone else yet thought to name drop "Sturgeon" yet? Those dudes will bruise and batter ya.
mm3
Posted 5/14/2022 11:17 AM (#1006358 - in reply to #1006356)

Sorry, but I'm not buying into the muskie isn't a good fighter thing.

Sure, if you have a 22 ft boat an XXXH crane, and you horse the fish in, it probably won't be much of a fight. You could probably reel Jon Jones in like that.

Try downsizing a little bit and don't try to get it in in 10 seconds and see what the fight is like. I rented a small 10 ft rowboat at Wingra and caught a 40 inch muskie that spun and literally pulled the boat around.

Also, does a smallie go off like an M-80 next to the boat and scare the sh## out of you? Keep in mind you're reeling those in with a much lighter/sensitive setup and you can feel every move it makes.
colinj8899
Posted 5/14/2022 6:30 PM (#1006362 - in reply to #1006197)

MM3 I agreee. Sure some of the smaller ones or even larger ones dont always put up the greatest fight. But theses fish are powerful. I fish solo quite a bit and caught a bunch of fish last year that took me for a ride. Obviously fishing solo netting the fish is different strategy compared to when you have a net man. Love a hard fighting muskie, muskie out of the water, taking you under the boat, and head shakes and head shakes. Ive caught a couple on walleye rods and reels and you quickly find out how powerful this fish is when you are not using muskie gear.
Ciscokid82
Posted 5/14/2022 9:03 PM (#1006364 - in reply to #1006356)

happy hooker - 5/14/2022 8:58 AM

I'm wondering??? People here are downgrading the muskie has a fighter and doesn't make a good account of itself
So,,,,
Why do you fish for them?
It isnt for the taste of the flesh,,if its for their ability to hit lures and topwaters you can find all of that in large mouth bass,,if its all about the challenge of finding one why is everybody wanting to make it easier with live scope and side imaging.

For me…
It’s the romance, the history, and the smell.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)