Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> First time to LOTW / Canada

Message Subject: First time to LOTW / Canada
badkemo
Posted 7/25/2023 9:44 AM (#1022520)
Subject: First time to LOTW / Canada

Hello All,

I will be leaving late this week for the LOTW Canada, and was wondering other then having my passport for myself and my son do I need any other documentation with me? I am towing my boat and it's registered, however where I live in my state the Motor does not need to be registered. Will that cause any issues?

Thank you
chuckski
Posted 7/25/2023 10:57 AM (#1022523 - in reply to #1022520)
Subject: Re: First time to LOTW / Canada

Be respectful to the border agents, I know some friends who haven gotten on the wrong side and get "randomly checked" every time they cross. I've never been checked.
BillM
Posted 7/25/2023 3:45 PM (#1022536 - in reply to #1022520)

All you need is your passport, no other documentation required. Just tell them where you're headed and you should be through without any problems. Leave any firearms at home lol
muskymartin67
Posted 7/25/2023 4:16 PM (#1022538 - in reply to #1022520)

You do need boat registration just went through last weekend wasn't an issue in past, but now you have to register it with them and get a blue piece of paper

Edited by muskymartin67 7/25/2023 4:26 PM
pstrombe
Posted 7/25/2023 7:33 PM (#1022543 - in reply to #1022520)

Crossed the border a few years ago in my wife's car and forgot to take out her can of Mace. I declared my mistake at the border and simply surrendered the can for destruction. Took my a few minutes for the paperwork but haven't been 'randomly' selected for a vehicle search or other interview since. Bear Spray OK - Mace or other compound designed for personal defense is not.
dward
Posted 7/25/2023 8:39 PM (#1022545 - in reply to #1022543)

How old is your son? When mine was 7-16 I would always have a travel consent letter to cross the boarder from my wife. I would hand it to agent with passports.
badkemo
Posted 7/26/2023 8:08 AM (#1022550 - in reply to #1022520)

thank you all. I have everything except for the consent for my 11 year old. I will get that today or tomorrow.
Thank you
mikie
Posted 7/26/2023 8:29 AM (#1022551 - in reply to #1022520)

Not sure if it makes a difference to them, but if your wife has easy access to a Notary, she may want to sign it in front of one just to be extra cautions., m
MuskyMidget
Posted 7/26/2023 10:07 AM (#1022556 - in reply to #1022520)
Subject: RE: First time to LOTW / Canada

Just crossed at Fort Francis a few days ago and wasn’t asked to register the boat. I’ve crossed probably 25 times in the past 20 years and never been asked to show anything related to the boat.

I’ve also crossed 3 times with my step children and never been asked to produce any documentation from their dad saying it’s ok. They obviously have different last names and never been an issue.

Take your hat and sunglasses off. Answer the questions and don’t elaborate. Yes. No.

No firearms. Mace. Fireworks. Etc

They will ask about alcohol, tobacco, and where you’re headed.

Ball Cap
dickP
Posted 7/26/2023 1:21 PM (#1022561 - in reply to #1022520)

If they have any reason to believe the boat isn’t returning at the end of the trip you will have to fill out the form in question which includes registration info. A value will be placed on the boat but u pay nothing now or anytime if you return the form
when the boat leaves the country. A time is set for when that must happen.
Not a biggie but they can require it on any boat entering if they wish.
Angling Oracle
Posted 7/26/2023 2:00 PM (#1022563 - in reply to #1022520)

Just an FYI that Manitoba very strict on boat inspection, plug pulled, etc due to zebras and milfoil. Ontario has the same laws but don't know what their enforcement it like on it. Generally not the border guys that check this but COs.

"On May 29, AIS staff notified a conservation officer from the Interlake area that two trucks pulling boats travelling north drove past the check station. An officer intercepted the vehicles and pulled them over near Ashern. Both vehicles were travelling together and were aware of the requirement to report for inspections. The driver, from St. Joseph, Missouri, of the lead vehicle was issued a ticket for $672 under the Water Protection Act for failing to report for inspection"

Again, these are Manitoba fines and I don't know what Ontario fines are, but if your plug is in and pulled and water in there then you will not be compliant with current Ontarion AIS laws. Likewise must pull plug when exiting lake and remove all weeds on your trailer, etc before hitting the road.

Just an FYI as obviously I cross back and forth into and out of Ontario/Manitoba

Edited by Angling Oracle 7/26/2023 2:01 PM
dickP
Posted 7/26/2023 7:44 PM (#1022572 - in reply to #1022520)

Sorry,typed on my phone in the boat during a heat break with one ‘bar’ of reception.
That reminds me of another change in parts of LOTWs this year.Phone reception/coverage is down substantially from last year. We went from nearly lakewide coverage last year to no coverage at all in a number if areas. A heads up.
ThedockisIN
Posted 9/25/2023 1:16 PM (#1023845 - in reply to #1022520)

Hi Dick,

Had the same problem in Minaki with my Verizon phone. As soon as I entered Canada Verizon sent me a message that my plan covered Canada, but did not tell me to restart phone to get the best coverage. Upon restart phone worked well with good coverage.
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/27/2023 11:26 PM (#1023899 - in reply to #1022520)

I've been taking my 15 year old daughter Musky fishing to Canada the past couple years, crossing through Fort Francis, and you absolutely need the parental consent letter signed by the parent/guardian that is not along. It is also required to be notorized, though we remembered the note on Saturday this year as we left, and had no issue with just the note from mom, which read "desire to have Lauren back home in 2 weeks, you can keep my husband.."

Edited by Reef Hawg 9/27/2023 11:27 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)