Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Shallow Manta Use

Message Subject: Shallow Manta Use
North of 8
Posted 3/18/2022 1:00 PM (#1003631)
Subject: Shallow Manta Use

Went to The Musky Shop today to buy a new reel (thanks to those that shared their experience with the Daiwa Prorex) and a rod to go with it. I was determined to make this one trip there where I did not buy a lure. Failed. I bought a shallow Manta for no particular reason and wondered how folks use these. Quick short jerks, long pulls?
mikie
Posted 3/18/2022 2:36 PM (#1003634 - in reply to #1003631)
Subject: Re: Shallow Manta Use

By far, you have one of the easiest to work jerk baits made. Just tap it and let it glide, sit still for as second, then tap it and it will turn on a dime. m
North of 8
Posted 3/18/2022 2:58 PM (#1003636 - in reply to #1003634)

mikie - 3/18/2022 2:36 PM

By far, you have one of the easiest to work jerk baits made. Just tap it and let it glide, sit still for as second, then tap it and it will turn on a dime. m

Thanks. Salesman at the Musky Shop said it was one of his favorites, liked how easy it is to work effectively, but then, he is a salesman.
Jeff78
Posted 3/18/2022 4:24 PM (#1003639 - in reply to #1003631)
Subject: RE: Shallow Manta Use

North of 8 - 3/18/2022 1:00 PM

Went to The Musky Shop today to buy a new reel (thanks to those that shared their experience with the Daiwa Prorex) and a rod to go with it. I was determined to make this one trip there where I did not buy a lure. Failed. I bought a shallow Manta for no particular reason and wondered how folks use these. Quick short jerks, long pulls?

Which rod did you buy? Did they give ten percent off?
North of 8
Posted 3/18/2022 6:27 PM (#1003644 - in reply to #1003639)

Jeff78 - 3/18/2022 4:24 PM

North of 8 - 3/18/2022 1:00 PM

Which rod did you buy? Did they give ten percent off?

I bought at 9'6" Shield rod for use with big blades, big spinner baits. And yes, they have 10% off every thing in the in store this weekend. I think they are hoping some folks will drive up from the Wausau show to take advantage of the sale. The guy that helped me acknowledged that the in store 15% off sale that they have every year was impacted by the ice storm we had here in the north woods. I know it stopped me from making the drive, I didn't go anywhere for a couple days.
Rudedog
Posted 3/18/2022 6:37 PM (#1003645 - in reply to #1003631)

I like the shallow version over the regular in the 8" size. Stays up high. my best and favorite spring lure.
The Big Hang 10 Manta acts the same- pretty shallow- but bigger. also awesome.

Just taps, not long pulls,. You can change up just by pausing or a bunch of fast taps.

You will like it
ToddM
Posted 3/18/2022 7:20 PM (#1003647 - in reply to #1003631)

If you've never worked a glider it's.a light tap of the rod reel slack repeat. By the time you feel the bait you've done enough. It's not a pull it's a snap and the action comes from the wrist. You can also just use the reel handle to impart the action usually a half turn feel of the bait.
RLSea
Posted 3/18/2022 9:15 PM (#1003653 - in reply to #1003631)

Shallow Manta is my favorite glider and easiest one for me to work. Work it with short taps like said above. It's why I like using a 7'6" rod and using my wrist make short downward strokes throwing a little slack into the line. You can get into a rhythm with the bait pretty easily so it's a good idea to change up the cadence a little. I get a fairly good hook-up ratio too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)