Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> We hope all our friends in the South are OK

Message Subject: We hope all our friends in the South are OK
sworrall
Posted 12/11/2021 10:55 AM (#999593)
Subject: We hope all our friends in the South are OK

Horrible tornado damage. We hope all are safe.
chuckski
Posted 12/11/2021 12:27 PM (#999594 - in reply to #999593)
Subject: Re: We hope all our friends in the South are OK

I live on the edge of Tornado alley in northeast of Denver, we get spared in winter with the cold as the upper midwestern states along with New England but in the south and central parts of the country they get warm and cold clashing year around and makes for some brutal weather. Hope for the safety for follow people.
miket55
Posted 12/11/2021 3:33 PM (#999596 - in reply to #999593)

Overnight and early morning had gusts to 70 in Nashville, 60 in Knoxville.. By the time it arrived my area (about 90 mi. ENE of Knoxville), it had lost a lot of its punch and we actually got some badly needed rain, and maybe one gust to 35.
North of 8
Posted 12/11/2021 4:08 PM (#999597 - in reply to #999596)

Incredible images coming out of the stricken areas. The power of these storms was incredible. A reporter said of the candle factory that was destroyed and has many missing, 'it looks like a bomb hit it'. No conventional bomb in our arsenal could do that kind of damage, with the possible exception of a 14,000 pound "cheeseburger bomb" used for flattening forested area. But even that is doubtful.
TCESOX
Posted 12/11/2021 6:04 PM (#999598 - in reply to #999593)

I was out all day, and only heard about it on the radio. Just saw the nightly news and was amazed. I've helped in the immediate aftermath of a couple of devastating tornadoes, but they were both single tornadoes, hitting single towns. This outbreak is so widespread. So many tornadoes, and so many towns hit. Also, the loss of life. Most tornadoes don't carry such a large loss of life. These were some strong tornadoes.
miket55
Posted 12/11/2021 11:37 PM (#999601 - in reply to #999597)

North of 8 - 12/11/2021 5:08 PM

Incredible images coming out of the stricken areas. The power of these storms was incredible. A reporter said of the candle factory that was destroyed and has many missing, 'it looks like a bomb hit it'. No conventional bomb in our arsenal could do that kind of damage, with the possible exception of a 14,000 pound "cheeseburger bomb" used for flattening forested area. But even that is doubtful.

Yeah, the videos were tough to watch, even after witnessing some of the devastation from the May '11 outbreak. It wreaked havoc in Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia..
chuckski
Posted 12/12/2021 9:42 AM (#999606 - in reply to #999593)

Sucks people died at work, I worked for a out fit where we had a office in every major city and one year our ST. Louis branch took a direct hit from a tornado and think it was at night so no one was there! Thank God! At our Denver branch where all the safety info was posted on the wall (map of all exits ect ) in case of tornado go to the fire station down the street ?? Was the fire station some kind of fort? Get in my car or run down the street? We moved locations and then the boss told us to lay on the ground in a ditch in front of the office that made sense.
North of 8
Posted 12/12/2021 10:40 AM (#999607 - in reply to #999606)

chuckski - 12/12/2021 9:42 AM

Sucks people died at work, I worked for a out fit where we had a office in every major city and one year our ST. Louis branch took a direct hit from a tornado and think it was at night so no one was there! Thank God! At our Denver branch where all the safety info was posted on the wall (map of all exits ect ) in case of tornado go to the fire station down the street ?? Was the fire station some kind of fort? Get in my car or run down the street? We moved locations and then the boss told us to lay on the ground in a ditch in front of the office that made sense.

Many businesses today do have hardened areas that serve as storm shelters. Rest rooms often are used for that purpose. Relatively small, no windows, reinforce the walls and you can survive. My family and I had just gone for a walk while staying in a state park in the U.P. when straight line winds exceeding 100 mph came across Lake Michigamee. We were close to the restroom building, which was a designated storm shelter. The storm overturned campers, uprooted 100 ft tall white pines, snapped off hundreds of smaller trees but the restroom was undamaged and so were we. KOA's we stayed in also had reinforced restroom buildings that were designated storm shelters.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)