Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Crestliner Fish Hawk bow deck design?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Crestliner Fish Hawk bow deck design?
tenthousandand1
Posted 12/9/2021 9:16 AM (#999567)
Subject: Crestliner Fish Hawk bow deck design?

Hey Gang,
My trolling motor plug is getting hot where it plugs into the receptacle in the bow port of my 2012 1600 Fish Hawk. I've already replaced the male portion of the plug and the problem is still there so I need to inspect the receptacle and wiring harness. I can't get my fat hands into the storage area under the trolling motor to reach the wiring harness and receptacle. So, I have to loosen/remove either the top deck surface which the trolling motor mount bolts to or the verticle kickplate supporting that surface to access the wiring harness/receptacle to inspect it.

Do any of you Crestliner jockeys know the easiest way to go about this? Do I start atthe top deck plate or the verticle kickplate?

Thanks in advance for any help or experience notes.

Happy Holidays,
Darryl

Kirby Budrow
Posted 12/9/2021 11:49 AM (#999569 - in reply to #999567)
Subject: Re: Crestliner Fish Hawk bow deck design?

I've done it but it was back in 2014 so I can't remember for sure. I believe I was just able to pop the top off without doing the side. I remember it wasn't that hard.
raftman
Posted 12/9/2021 5:32 PM (#999573 - in reply to #999569)

If I were doing this on my 2007 1700 fish hawk I would just be removing the vertical kick plate. I just converted my 12v setup to 24v this past spring and didn’t have to touch the portion the trolling motor mounts to when I replaced all of the old wire and receptacle.
Angling Oracle
Posted 12/9/2021 8:43 PM (#999577 - in reply to #999567)

I have a 2009 and likewise upgraded to 24 v and didn't have to remove any plates at all - no longer use the receptacle for the trolling motor, but replaced with some trolling motor quick connects instead and upgraded to heavier gauge marine wire for the 24 v application. Used the old wire to pull the new wire through. Perhaps your heating issue is related to undersize wire.
RyanJoz
Posted 12/11/2021 9:00 PM (#999600 - in reply to #999577)

Make sure the plug is rated for the amperage you’re drawing. Terrova motors pull 56 amps for 80 lb thrust so everything needs to be rated for 60 or more. Marinco makes a 70 amp plug, but few others are more than 40 amp rated. Battery tender makes another one but it is not what most of us are used to for a disconnect for a trolling motor.

Factory type receptacles and plugs are often rated for 30 amps…
tenthousandand1
Posted 12/16/2021 1:08 PM (#999740 - in reply to #999567)

Thanks for the notes. It's the original Powerdrive V2 trolling motor plug and wiring so I'm not really doubting the rating of the original equipment as it worked great for a long time.
I'll start with the kickplate as suggested.
Hope Santa is good to you all.
Darryl
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)