Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Mh sticks

Message Subject: Mh sticks
Muskyrookie
Posted 12/14/2021 12:04 PM (#999663)
Subject: Mh sticks

I've been looking into upgrading my mh rod from the 7'6" shimano sojourn that I currently have to a better and longer rod. I'd like to get better response and casting distance than this rod will allow. I think I've narrowed it down to 3 brands, chaos tackle, tackle industries, and st croix. The specs are pretty much the same for all 3 but I'm sure they all fish differently. I'm looking at the 8'6" or 9' for length. Is it better being a 1 piece over telescopic? Just wondering what your opinions are on the ones you have fished with. It will be used for bucktails up to double 8's, topwaters, 7" and smaller cranks, mostly. Thanks
jdsplasher
Posted 12/14/2021 12:27 PM (#999665 - in reply to #999663)
Subject: RE: Mh sticks

If you got the Funds, Cannot go wrong W/St. Croix’s Quality!

1 Piece is definitely a stronger Build, and less hassles.  If space is No issue, go with 1 piece!

JD 

TCESOX
Posted 12/14/2021 5:07 PM (#999672 - in reply to #999663)
Subject: Re: Mh sticks

If storage and transportation are not an issue, go with the one piece. That being said, 4 of my 6 casting set ups, are telescopic, due to said storage and transport. I have had zero issues with them, all have performed very well, and have no reason to up-grade them other than I just like fancy new stuff that I can't afford.
Muskyrookie
Posted 12/14/2021 10:15 PM (#999679 - in reply to #999672)

St croix would be 1st on my list with the chaos 2nd and the ti 3rd. According to their specs that also matches fastest to slowest actions.

What brand/s are you using? Unfortunately space is definitely limited, I have an 8' truck bed so I think 8'6" would be my limit for a 1 piece. I hang my rods horizontal on a wall and I think that's about that limit too. I also think that size would be best for snapping and twitching cranks and jerkbaits while still getting more distance on the cast than I am now with the 7'6" shimano sojourn that I have. For the price it is actually a pretty decent stick, it is just more of a moderate action and I'd like to add a fast action for times and baits I want more reactive with greater casting distance. Having said that would the St croix be the fastest of the bunch? The Mojo would be the model I am looking at. Keeping the price around $200 puts those all within the range of what id want to spend on a mh rod. What reels and size line do you all run with yours? 300 or 400? 65lb or 80lb? Thanks for the responses
miket55
Posted 12/14/2021 10:31 PM (#999681 - in reply to #999663)

I have a mix of telescoping and two piece rods.. If the budget is a constraint, go with TI, great rods for the money. I have several, zero issues..

The St. Croix rods have a nicer feel, and find myself using them more than similar TI rods. I can't comment on the Chaos rods, but I'm sure they're more than up to the task.

I guess it's a matter of preference.. you won't regret going with the 9'.

Pa Tigers n trout
Posted 12/15/2021 6:52 AM (#999684 - in reply to #999663)

I have a MH assault stick, love the rod. It's great for the smaller baits.
7.62xJay
Posted 12/15/2021 8:05 AM (#999686 - in reply to #999663)

I can personally vouch for Chaos's Repair/Warranty service if that helps any. Bout a 2week turn around which was awesome. Haven't broke or damaged either TI so i don't know about them. I'd assume St.Croix probably has great service too.
chuckski
Posted 12/15/2021 10:41 AM (#999689 - in reply to #999663)

The rods today are so nice to the 5 1/2 glass pole cues from the 1970's.
Not sure where you live but if you have the time and means to travel go somewhere like Rollie & Helens in Minocqua Wis. or Thorne Bros. in the twin cities where you can hold the different choices. The last Muskie rod I bought I found in the bargain cave at Cabela's. (Cabela's brand) I also fish with rods from Thorne Brothers, Fenwick, Daiwa, G. Loomis and St. Croix.
Most St. Croix rods are made in Wisconsin, the Mojo models I believe are assembled in Mexico. (the price difference)
R/T
Posted 12/15/2021 1:21 PM (#999696 - in reply to #999663)

Rookie,

I have the St. Croix Premier 8' MHF. Very nice all purpose rod with the exception of the heavy rubber stuff. I have mine paired with a Revo Toro Rocket T3 with 80 lb braid. The Premier is a bit more than the Mojo but close. I prefer the cork grip to foam. I am pleased with the Premier. Can throw 1 oz bucktails with this set up. Have also thrown Top Raiders and 8-9" crankbaits. Handles them all pretty well.

All my rods are St Croix so cannot compare to the others you mentioned.
Muskyrookie
Posted 12/15/2021 5:09 PM (#999702 - in reply to #999696)

Thanks for all your replies!!

I wish their was a place around here like the musky shop. I'm in Pittsburgh and the only places around here that I can find with musky gear is dicks and sportsman's warehouse which only has st croix and lock 3 bait and tackle which also only has st croix. But unfortunately that bait shop is on its last week I believe, going out of business sale started back in October but I didn't find out about it until 2 weeks ago. I was hoping to get a new stick then but just about all the musky stuff was already wiped out. I was only able to get 2 windels bucktails and a pack of spare hooks. That's what got me revved up about upgrading my mh rod. Around here it's basically all st croix which isn't all bad but it would be nice to be able to see and feel what else is out there and compare.

Does anyone know of any good musky tackle shops in western pa??? Eastern Ohio??? Northern West Virginia??? Anybody?!?! Lol. Doing a Google search doesn't bring up anything
Rotorhead
Posted 12/15/2021 7:09 PM (#999712 - in reply to #999663)

What you might consider is a custom rod manufacturer. There are several great blanks out there suitable for muskie fishing and if built right, comparable to the best commercial rod out there, without naming brands. There are custom rod builders just about everywhere and they can order the blank and build a rod to your specs. One note is that there is no industry standard for rod power including commercial rods as well as blanks. One manufacturer's heavy may be more equivalent to another's MH. An XH for one may be closer to an H on another. No matter what, it's always important to put a rod in your hand and then it boils down to personal preference. That's why questions like this generate so many different answers and that's to be expected. What feels right to you is what's best for you. That said, bottom line is to look for a custom builder in your area and tell them what you're looking for. Go to the Mud Hole Live's Rod Builders' Workshop Facebook group and ask if there are any builders in your city or nearby. Anybody can build and send you a rod, but based on my recommendation above, a local one should be able to put something in your hand to test before building. I build muskie rods with the MHX brand blank which work great, but I'm not close enough to help you. Good luck! You can PM me if you have specific questions.
jdsplasher
Posted 12/15/2021 8:41 PM (#999716 - in reply to #999712)

Rotorhead - 12/15/2021 7:09 PM What you might consider is a custom rod manufacturer. There are several great blanks out there suitable for muskie fishing and if built right, comparable to the best commercial rod out there, without naming brands. There are custom rod builders just about everywhere and they can order the blank and build a rod to your specs. One note is that there is no industry standard for rod power including commercial rods as well as blanks. One manufacturer's heavy may be more equivalent to another's MH. An XH for one may be closer to an H on another. No matter what, it's always important to put a rod in your hand and then it boils down to personal preference. That's why questions like this generate so many different answers and that's to be expected. What feels right to you is what's best for you. That said, bottom line is to look for a custom builder in your area and tell them what you're looking for. Go to the Mud Hole Live's Rod Builders' Workshop Facebook group and ask if there are any builders in your city or nearby. Anybody can build and send you a rod, but based on my recommendation above, a local one should be able to put something in your hand to test before building. I build muskie rods with the MHX brand blank which work great, but I'm not close enough to help you. Good luck! You can PM me if you have specific questions.

Well  said Bill !

Spend the extra $50-100 and get what feels right. I’ve got about 10 custom rods that fit me. Several weighted and Balanced. Trolling and casting.  Really the way to go. I got a local rod builder that does a great Job here in SE WI.

JD 

twofishy4u
Posted 12/15/2021 9:33 PM (#999720 - in reply to #999663)

I agree ^^^. For what a nice factory rod costs it is often the same or less money to go custom. I've built several rods for myself and friends but not too many musky rods. Having an experienced rod builder to work with is priceless! Having specific options of handle length, reel seats, guides is amazing.
RyanJoz
Posted 12/19/2021 2:23 PM (#999792 - in reply to #999663)

Get a st croix long ranger and be done. Custom is nice, but over rated IMO. You can balance a factory rod very easily. 15 year warranty vs 1 is night and day difference.
RLSea
Posted 12/19/2021 8:36 PM (#999798 - in reply to #999792)

RyanJoz - 12/19/2021 2:23 PM

Get a st croix long ranger and be done. Custom is nice, but over rated IMO. You can balance a factory rod very easily. 15 year warranty vs 1 is night and day difference.

Long Ranger my fave
jase2
Posted 12/20/2021 5:21 AM (#999804 - in reply to #999702)

Muskie Rookie. Ohio River Outdoors is not Rollie and Helen's by any stretch, but it has a huge selection of Musky stuff. It is the best Musky shop I am aware of in WV at least. You might give Doug a call at 304 588 2027. He has a ton of stuff in there including baits, Rods, Reels, Line etc. I think he may also ship. Tell him Jason sent you.
Muskyrookie
Posted 12/22/2021 6:07 PM (#999857 - in reply to #999716)

I appreciate all the replies and had been doing some searching around my area but couldn't find any custom builders. I took a lil bit of all your advice and spent more than I wanted but thanks Jason for letting me know about that shop in WV. I called down and talked with Doug a lil and they had an incredible deal on a St Croix legend elite 8'6" mh. I tried to talk myself out of it lol but just couldn't!! It's my Christmas present to myself. I'm heading down on Friday to pick it up and check out their shop. It looks like a pretty sweet place. I picked one up and played with it this past weekend at a store and thought this is nice but way out of my budget, with their sale it cost less than a legend tournament, just couldn't pass that up! Thanks again for all your help!
KDogg14
Posted 12/22/2021 8:11 PM (#999860 - in reply to #999663)

Cheers on the new rod! St. Croix rods, especially the series you bought are top notch!
Muskyrookie
Posted 12/23/2021 9:43 PM (#999874 - in reply to #999860)

Thanks! Can't wait to sling some baits with it
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)