Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Advice 4 cold weather open water?

Message Subject: Advice 4 cold weather open water?
7.62xJay
Posted 11/14/2021 11:31 AM (#999090)
Subject: Advice 4 cold weather open water?

Hey guys, typically I put the fishing equipment away the weekend before I pull out waterfowl equipment and archery equipment.

This year is my first time not touching either due to endless dreams of Muskies since I finally have propper equipment this year.
Hitting the water in my Kayak yesterday in below freezing Temps with 10mph winds made me realize I have no clue about open water casting in these temperatures. Aside from keeping waiters in the truck and always wearing my PFD, I'm clueless about yall's "tricks of the trade".

Any advice about anything cold weather involved would be heavily appreciated.
Like "do you grease or graphite coat your eyelets to reduce icing"
Or "what should I know about my 4stroke motor use in this cold"?
Brian Hoffies
Posted 11/14/2021 11:35 AM (#999092 - in reply to #999090)
Subject: Re: Advice 4 cold weather open water?

You have a kayak with a outboard motor?
mikie
Posted 11/14/2021 12:37 PM (#999093 - in reply to #999090)

I'd put a Mustang suit on my Christmas list...
You should have no trouble finding fish within casting distance of the shoreline. They make waterproof cases for cell phones, keep yours handy in case a good fish takes you for a ride. ps A good strong mono line will still bring in fish and not ice up the guides.
7.62xJay
Posted 11/14/2021 1:42 PM (#999094 - in reply to #999090)

Maybe I worded that badly.

Basically if I'm going for a few hours I take the Kayak.
If I'm doing a full day I take the boat with a 25hp 4stroke suzuki.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 11/14/2021 2:07 PM (#999095 - in reply to #999090)

Silicone based WD40 works good on reels, and guides. Tried it for the first time this year and was impressed. I bring a few pairs of gloves to stay dry. Toe warmers for your boots too.
7.62xJay
Posted 11/14/2021 8:23 PM (#999097 - in reply to #999093)

mikie - 11/14/2021 12:37 PM

I'd put a Mustang suit on my Christmas list...
You should have no trouble finding fish within casting distance of the shoreline. They make waterproof cases for cell phones, keep yours handy in case a good fish takes you for a ride. ps A good strong mono line will still bring in fish and not ice up the guides.

So I looked em up, I assume your talking about the "Deluxe Anti-Exposure and work suit".
Do you own one? Because some suit is definitely on my list before next fall but I haven't researched anything yet.

What type of Mono do you recommend? I committed to Cajun Red for mono a long time ago for light test, but haven't ever ran anything heavy for mono.
ToddM
Posted 11/15/2021 6:28 AM (#999099 - in reply to #999090)

832 braid is pretty dry. I would not use mono. The biggest issue with ice is getting it at the ends of your levelwind. You can break it quite easily if you do not stay on top of that ice. Once temps get to 25 it becomes very difficult to keep up with the ice. If there is any moisture in the reel it will freeze and break it.
TheShow
Posted 11/15/2021 8:46 AM (#999100 - in reply to #999090)

I wear a Striker Predator Ice Suit. Meant for ice fishing but real nice for late fall musky fishing too. Cuts the wind, very warm, and its a float suit. You don't want to fall in the drink when the water is that cold. Wearing the float suit adds a layer of safety.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 11/15/2021 11:05 AM (#999101 - in reply to #999090)

My advice is stay out of a kayak in winter water. Nothing good can come out of it if something goes wrong.
North of 8
Posted 11/15/2021 11:34 AM (#999102 - in reply to #999101)

If you do go and are prepared with clothing, PFD, etc., the final thing to remember is move slowly and deliberately. Wearing more clothes, boots, mean you are not as agile as you are in light clothes and athletic shoes in warmer times. When I go out in cold weather, that is a lecture I give myself every time. Be deliberate in all movement.
Ranger
Posted 11/15/2021 12:42 PM (#999106 - in reply to #999090)

Hand warmers - put a set in a quart zip lock with a couple kitchen towels, dry your hands as soon as possible every time they get wet. Put another set in chopper gloves so you can warm your hands any time they get really cold. Put another set inside a quart zip lock for your release gloves because after your first fish your release gloves will be wet.

After your first fish the net will be wet. "Roll" the net on the net frame and let it freeze into a big spatula. Get ready for your fish to go nuts at boat side as you repeatedly dunk the net to thaw it out, there is no other way.

If you're hardcore and take out after dark you'll find the landing slick with ice from the boats that left before you. Some say cat litter but I wear hip waders boots and use a shovel to throw sand/gravel from the lake bottom onto the landing. (I usually fish alone and wear hip waders every time I take out no matter the weather.)

Fishing alone in freezing weather is risky. But I once had three three fish days in a row by trolling the face of a drop off in high wind on Lake Y (Groveland Mine Ponds) in the Yoop. Each evening I was forced to leave after all my Ambassador reels froze up (6 rods, thumb bars always freeze up before push buttons. Always.).

Also had an evening on Paint Pond with no wind when my aluminum boat became the catalyst to start surface ice. The skim ice formed first from my boat and spread out fast, like a foot every second in every direction. I would softly rock the boat and the waves dissolved the ice and then the whole thing started again. Very cool, very trippy, highly recommended.

Last, wear your PFD but be aware that if you dump out of your boat while alone you will probably die. And it will be worth it.

Kirby Budrow
Posted 11/15/2021 2:00 PM (#999107 - in reply to #999106)

Ranger - 11/15/2021 12:42 PM

Last, wear your PFD but be aware that if you dump out of your boat while alone you will probably die. And it will be worth it.

Worth it, Haha! Yes, I fish late fall alone a lot. I don't get a chance to fish when the water is below 39 degrees very often but that could definitely kill you. I pick the nicer days when there's not too much wind. I would rather not die over a 50 but every time you go by yourself you do take that risk. I wear my life vest and clip the motor shut off rope when I feel the need.

I fell overboard one time, luckily it was July. I was reaching for my wife's rod that she dropped in the water. It was funny at the time but it woke me up to the fact that it could happen at any time. Think about tangling with a big fish while wearing huge boots and tripping and going overboard in cold water. You could be screwed.
Muskie Junkie
Posted 11/18/2021 9:30 AM (#999174 - in reply to #999090)

All of these are great suggestions. I also added a ladder to my boat to be used to climb back in. Amazing how heavy a person gets when their clothes are soaking up water. I also take my float cushion and tie a rope to it and leave it out. That way if someone falls out it can be tossed to them, pull them to the boat and then back to the ladder. Carry a spare set of clothes in the boat or truck to change into as soon as possible to prevent hypothermia.

Steve
North of 8
Posted 11/18/2021 12:08 PM (#999177 - in reply to #999174)

Something I had not given a lot of thought to until last week was the line you use. I was fishing in upper 30s temps and switched from one rod to the other and the amount of water the line on the second rod threw off vs the first was much greater and with that water going on bare hands, you notice. The second rod had older green Power Pro, the first was very new 832. Not sure it was the age of the line or different type of line but something to consider.
miket55
Posted 11/18/2021 1:16 PM (#999179 - in reply to #999177)

North of 8 - 11/18/2021 1:08 PM

Something I had not given a lot of thought to until last week was the line you use. I was fishing in upper 30s temps and switched from one rod to the other and the amount of water the line on the second rod threw off vs the first was much greater and with that water going on bare hands, you notice. The second rod had older green Power Pro, the first was very new 832. Not sure it was the age of the line or different type of line but something to consider.

There are those that advocate spooling new line late in the season, since new line doesn't absorb as much water as older line. I don't know how much difference brand matters tho.
Top H2O
Posted 11/18/2021 2:14 PM (#999180 - in reply to #999179)

832 will not take on as much H2O as power pro. Also, the newer the line the better imho... I dip the rod into the water to get rid of ice on the eyes... this works for about ten-fifteen min. (repeat) I also keep 3-4 set ups at the ready.
Snowmobile suit and Ice Armor gloves work pretty good for keeping hands somewhat dry. I dress like it's -10*... That way I'm covered.
It seems to me that Cold weather, open water fishing in a Kayak could be awfully dangerous, even with a PFD.
7.62xJay
Posted 11/18/2021 8:06 PM (#999186 - in reply to #999090)

All great advice and appreciated. I would've NEVER of considered ice slicked launches until I ate **** on one, definitely be taking grit with me. As far as line and iced eyelets go I didn't notice a difference between 6month old 832, 6month old power pro, or 4month old Beast Braid*(I'll never buy in Tanic Brown again, dyed hands and filthy reel and white line after a few casts). I'm curios though if being in the Kayak last weekend = lower to water= less line drip time = quicker icing. To those of you concerned about Kayak angling I'll have to respectfully disagree but I appreciate the concern. She's put away for the year anyhow since it's our areas gun deer opener this weekend, might be a paranoid perspective but just not worth the risk hitting the rivers. Ill be taking the boat to either St.Croix Flowage or La Courte Oreilles. I like the ladder idea, I don't have one this short of notice so I'll take the dogs waterfowling steps for now, I don't think they'll mind.
North of 8
Posted 11/19/2021 7:43 AM (#999189 - in reply to #999186)

I put my kayak in first thing in the spring after ice out to see if I can find panfish, water is plenty cold then too. I do dress appropriately and have a dense foam pad I add to the seat. After a couple hours, the cold kind of permeates the seat. I think kayaks are safe and fun. The one thing I wish I had when the water is cold is a spray skirt. When in Seward a couple years ago, we went out on Resurrection Bay in sea kayaks and even though there were rollers of 2-3 feet we stayed dry because the spray over the bow didn't get inside.
Guess the only complaint I have is that age 70 getting out of it after a few hours on the water I can get a little stiff and my exits tend to be something less than graceful.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)