Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Testing Leader Strength

Message Subject: Testing Leader Strength
North of 8
Posted 10/27/2021 10:09 AM (#997781)
Subject: Testing Leader Strength

Been wanting to make my own leaders for a while and bought the materials recently.
Have made a couple, both with fluorocarbon and 49 strand wire. They seem sturdy but wonder how folks test them? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
RyanJoz
Posted 10/27/2021 10:16 AM (#997782 - in reply to #997781)
Subject: Re: Testing Leader Strength

I hang from mine in the garage. At 220 lbs, I can easily hang from 130 lb leaders and up. I make 80, 130, 175 lb fluoro and 180 lb 49 strand. 80 and 100 can break, but I have had some that have held.
North of 8
Posted 10/27/2021 10:30 AM (#997783 - in reply to #997782)

RyanJoz - 10/27/2021 10:16 AM

I hang from mine in the garage. At 220 lbs, I can easily hang from 130 lb leaders and up. I make 80, 130, 175 lb fluoro and 180 lb 49 strand. 80 and 100 can break, but I have had some that have held.

Thanks. I already have hooks in the ceiling of my wood shop for hanging pieces I have stained, so that part would be easy.
sworrall
Posted 10/31/2021 10:14 AM (#997832 - in reply to #997781)

I wonder how much shock weight can ever be reached on a leader. I'm doing a lot of crib fishing for client photos, and literally have a heck of a time breaking 15# superline when I get hung up using a jig with a hook that won't bend out. One has to point the rod at the lure and use zero rod flex to break the jig free. We literally move the boat.

The first 13 over 50 I caught back many years ago were all boated on 17# test line. WhaddaUthink?
North of 8
Posted 11/1/2021 12:51 PM (#997849 - in reply to #997781)

Steve's point about the strength of super line and leaders is a good one. Couple years ago on opening weekend I was casting a shoreline on the lake where I live. Snagged something heavy. I was surprised because I have fished that area a lot, know there are no boulders, etc. But, it moved so I put on gloves and started pulling, wanting that new lure back. Turned out it was an old, water logged stump. Stump was maybe 8" in diameter but attached roots were at least 4 or 5 feet. Being by myself, I couldn't hold with one hand and get the lure, so I took a chance and wrapped the line around a cleat.
The line and leader held and using a pliers I unhooked and got my lure back. Stump sank back to the bottom, all was good. Just amazed at the strength of that line. I did cut off the few feet that had been rubbing on the gunnel and replaced the leader but didn't see any damage to either.
ToddM
Posted 11/1/2021 4:21 PM (#997853 - in reply to #997781)

That's why you need a lure retriever. Don't trust your line and leader to bend a musky hook out to save it.

Not sure why you need to test leader strength unless you believe you have components that can fail. I usually give it a pull if nothing slips my crimps are fine.
North of 8
Posted 11/1/2021 5:26 PM (#997855 - in reply to #997853)

ToddM - 11/1/2021 4:21 PM

That's why you need a lure retriever. Don't trust your line and leader to bend a musky hook out to save it.

Not sure why you need to test leader strength unless you believe you have components that can fail. I usually give it a pull if nothing slips my crimps are fine.

After I have made a few, I probably will be more confident. But never having made them before, just wanted to be sure I am doing things right.
chuckski
Posted 11/2/2021 11:47 AM (#997861 - in reply to #997781)

As far as testing leader strengh be careful, when it hits its breaking point you may go for a flying lesson. (and parts of your leader will fly too) If you buy or in my case made a leader they will be plenty strong. Where trouble comes into play is if you get a kink. Sure if you keep a eye on your leader but if a fish engulfs your lure and bends or kinks your leader on the hit then during the fight there's a chance for failure. Tom Gelbs trolling leaders were only 45# test. If you buy or make a lousy or cheap leader your better off going leaderless risking a bite off.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)