Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> HB trolling motors

Reply New post
Message Subject: HB trolling motors
jimordway
Posted 2/21/2022 11:31 AM (#1002689)
Subject: HB trolling motors

Been an HB user for some time and no regrets. But I am thinking about upgrading my gen 2 stuff for possible livescope and other improvements. My primary issue is that I likely will upgrade my bowmount as well and I am concerned that the unit still operates with brushes and is not as efficient as the competition. To operate as a system you cannot mix and max bowmount with the screens so I am at a crossroads. Is HB going brushless or am I going to upgrade to a whole different product? In my latest boat I have been using my bowmount exclusively for trolling and the batteries only last 5 to 6 hours. More efficient bowmount would help. If lithium was not so expensive as well as new charging system it might be a solution.

sworrall
Posted 2/21/2022 1:04 PM (#1002695 - in reply to #1002689)
Subject: Re: HB trolling motors

I'm using the Minn Kota Ultrex, and get a couple of days out of a charge. I also have the one boat network onboard with Mega side and 360 imaging. I REALLY like the motor and the 360 is a complete game-changer for me. I'm adding Mega Live this Spring.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/21/2022 4:35 PM (#1002699 - in reply to #1002689)

I'd say you are in the minority if you are using your trolling motor for trolling. Is there another way?
jimordway
Posted 2/22/2022 7:21 AM (#1002718 - in reply to #1002695)

Steve, I have an ulterra which is about 5 years old now. I can only get a day out of it trolling or just musky or walleye fishing. What batteries do you have and is it newer and possible more efficient. I have a 36 v unit on a1875 impact

Edited by jimordway 2/22/2022 11:32 AM
jimordway
Posted 2/22/2022 7:26 AM (#1002719 - in reply to #1002718)

I am absolutely in the minority. My plan was less weight and expense. I used to run 620s will the full load but have downsized. If I have enough battery or more efficient motor it would work. My body is going to heck so I do not fish big water any more.
sworrall
Posted 2/22/2022 1:39 PM (#1002729 - in reply to #1002718)

It's a new 24 volt Ultrex and I have the biggest batteries that fit in a Lund Boats battery tray, not sure what they are and can't look until Spring. I'm not trolling any faster than 2 mph though.
jimordway
Posted 2/22/2022 2:44 PM (#1002734 - in reply to #1002729)

Steve, what boat are you running? I am wondering if the new ultrex is that much more efficient than my ulterra. On top of that my 36v should give me much more range.
sworrall
Posted 2/23/2022 8:50 PM (#1002812 - in reply to #1002734)

Just a 1625 Fury dual console, but it seems really short for you to run out at 6 hours unless you are running near wide open.
CincySkeez
Posted 2/24/2022 11:27 AM (#1002837 - in reply to #1002812)

Might want to consider one of these if you don't want to increase weight and size of battery bank.

Go to 24v system and can charge off of 12v alternator, just make sure it's beefy enough. Cool tool in general

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-dc-dc-converter...

Edited by CincySkeez 2/24/2022 11:41 AM
North of 8
Posted 2/24/2022 2:26 PM (#1002847 - in reply to #1002837)

Given the use for trolling, would going with a transom mount, 36 Volt Vantage from Minn Kota be the way to go? They are designed for actual trolling and claim to get the maximum efficiency out of battery use.
CincySkeez
Posted 2/24/2022 4:10 PM (#1002848 - in reply to #1002847)

North of 8 - 2/24/2022 2:26 PM

Given the use for trolling, would going with a transom mount, 36 Volt Vantage from Minn Kota be the way to go? They are designed for actual trolling and claim to get the maximum efficiency out of battery use.

I suppose if he is willing to give up link and hands free operation.
North of 8
Posted 2/24/2022 4:19 PM (#1002849 - in reply to #1002848)

CincySkeez - 2/24/2022 4:10 PM

North of 8 - 2/24/2022 2:26 PM

I suppose if he is willing to give up link and hands free operation.

Certainly could be an issue but if you are only trolling, not casting couldn't you just use your electronics for positioning and if you are trolling, not casting hands free wouldn't be a big issue? I have a kicker on my boat and use my SI when I am trolling. That was my rationale. I have link and remote on my Ulterra/Mega SI/DI but use that when casting.
TCESOX
Posted 2/24/2022 8:17 PM (#1002870 - in reply to #1002689)

I put together my little "one boat network", midway through last year, so I don't have a lot of time with it yet, and am still getting used the new interfaces and capabilities. I rarely used my bow mount for muskie trolling, uses too much juice at those speeds. I have a Pro Guide tiller, which is great for trolling, and I often am trolling at 4, 4.5, 5, or 5.5 mph. Last fall, after having mastered the follow the contour feature, I thought I would try to combine that, with trolling with the gas motor. Since the water was pretty cool, and I was going to be trolling a little slower, I figured I would try to combine the two. This is a 250 acre lake, that you can make a trolling run, literally, all the way around the lake. I wanted to go about 3.5 mph, so I started the bow mount to follow the contour route, then put the gas engine in gear, and accelerated to 3.0 mph. Then, I set the bow mount on cruise control, and set the speed to 3.5 mph over ground. The result, was that the boat literally drove all the way around the lake, and stayed exactly on the route without me steering or adjusting anything. It stayed at the set speed, and didn't use nearly as much battery as it would have, if I had set the bow mount speed to go 3.5 mph, on it's own. I don't know how it would work at different speeds, so I still have a lot of experimenting to do. If you are trying to troll at 3 plus mph, only with your bow mount, I can see you using a lot of juice in a day.
sworrall
Posted 2/24/2022 9:30 PM (#1002876 - in reply to #1002870)

TCESOX - 2/24/2022 8:17 PM

I put together my little "one boat network", midway through last year, so I don't have a lot of time with it yet, and am still getting used the new interfaces and capabilities. I rarely used my bow mount for muskie trolling, uses too much juice at those speeds. I have a Pro Guide tiller, which is great for trolling, and I often am trolling at 4, 4.5, 5, or 5.5 mph. Last fall, after having mastered the follow the contour feature, I thought I would try to combine that, with trolling with the gas motor. Since the water was pretty cool, and I was going to be trolling a little slower, I figured I would try to combine the two. This is a 250 acre lake, that you can make a trolling run, literally, all the way around the lake. I wanted to go about 3.5 mph, so I started the bow mount to follow the contour route, then put the gas engine in gear, and accelerated to 3.0 mph. Then, I set the bow mount on cruise control, and set the speed to 3.5 mph over ground. The result, was that the boat literally drove all the way around the lake, and stayed exactly on the route without me steering or adjusting anything. It stayed at the set speed, and didn't use nearly as much battery as it would have, if I had set the bow mount speed to go 3.5 mph, on it's own. I don't know how it would work at different speeds, so I still have a lot of experimenting to do. If you are trying to troll at 3 plus mph, only with your bow mount, I can see you using a lot of juice in a day.

My friend Ted Takasaki calls that 4 Wheel Drive Trolling.
CincySkeez
Posted 2/25/2022 8:18 AM (#1002894 - in reply to #1002876)

Yep, thats pretty much how I troll exclusively. Main engine doing most of the work and trolling motor providing steering can troll for days this way.
North of 8
Posted 2/25/2022 8:23 AM (#1002895 - in reply to #1002894)

CincySkeez - 2/25/2022 8:18 AM

Yep, thats pretty much how I troll exclusively. Main engine doing most of the work and trolling motor providing steering can troll for days this way.

Interesting set up, very clever.
buck16on
Posted 3/9/2022 4:47 AM (#1003328 - in reply to #1002689)
Subject: RE: HB trolling motors

I have no recent experience with Lowrance and never any experience with Garmin. I have a one boat network Minn Kota Terrova I-Pilot Link 24 volt on the bow and Humminbirds 797ci SI on transom, Helix 9 chirp Si gps gn 3, 959 DI combo, 360 and mega live transducers on bow. I bought the terrova before I ever knew about 360 and mega live. I've taken and old Minn Kota Edge 12 volt bow mount motor and removed the lower motor housing off the pole and have the 959 DI transducer and the 360 and mega live transducers attached to the pole so I can control them with my foot. I really enjoy the one boat network and use the I-Pilot Link capabilities all the time. I run all the depth finders and the 360 and the ethernet box on the starting battery and since I'm a caster (muskies and bass) the 40 HP 4 stroke Mercury does not recharge the battery fully. So, I'm running the mega live on a Marcum Lithium 12 volt 18 AMP battery I bought for ice fishing. I like the Terrova and it works great for me so I can't justify repalcing it with an Ultrex. I run the terrova on 2 12 volt optimax batteries. Obviously the Terrova will enetnually wear out and who knows what the motor technology will be then but I will probably replace it with a MInnKota to keep the one boat network going. This whole way point spot lock follow the contour system has really put a lot more fish in my boat and made fishing easier and more fun.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)