Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Muskie,Muskie moster or mystery
- (Added by: muskynate)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Not exactly for muskie

Message Subject: Not exactly for muskie
Gringo Loco
Posted 9/28/2021 11:36 AM (#996118)
Subject: Not exactly for muskie

These are some jigs I've been making for halibut fishing in Alaska. The top picture is a "pipe" jig with a steel plug in it that goes clunk, clunk underwater when you jig it. Below it is my version of an "anti-shark" jig with a string of extremely strong rare earth magnets strung on the line of the bottom hook. The idea is that the magnets will overwhelm the ampulae of Lorenzini sensors on the sharks snout and drive them away. In the last 5-8 years blue sharks have become a real pain up in Sitka grabbing halibut baits dropped to the bottom and even eating some of he halibut being reeled to the surface.

The second photo is of a few 16 oz jigs I made for next year's fishing trip. By the way, I caught a 220 pound halibut (released) in 2021 on a similar jig. Most are make from glow powder paints in white, green, and blue.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSCN4575-3.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSCN4573-3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN4575-3.jpg (105KB - 219 downloads)
Attachments DSCN4573-3.jpg (130KB - 211 downloads)
ToddM
Posted 9/29/2021 9:59 AM (#996137 - in reply to #996118)
Subject: Re: Not exactly for muskie

Kind of interesting how different lure styles work in different situations. No one would ever think of using something like that in a comparable weight in fresh water..
Gringo Loco
Posted 9/29/2021 10:09 AM (#996139 - in reply to #996137)

Not many people fish in 400-700' of water in freshwater lakes either. If they did they might be using 16-32 oz jigs.
North of 8
Posted 9/29/2021 1:01 PM (#996146 - in reply to #996139)

Gringo Loco - 9/29/2021 10:09 AM

Not many people fish in 400-700' of water in freshwater lakes either. If they did they might be using 16-32 oz jigs.

I was wondering how deep you were fishing. Went out with my sister's neighbor up in SE Alaska a couple years ago for halibut. Couple boats from a fishing lodge were jigging out in 200' of water but the neighbor had a hunch they might be shallow, feeding on small crab. Took us a little while to find but we caught a released a bunch of 30 to 40 pound fish in in 30' of water. We kept a couple for eating. He said a lot of times you have to find deeper water but at certain times during the summer they slide up on mud flats. He too said when they were deep, had to use heavier jigs, to combat the tide if nothing else.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)