Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> How do you use your fish finder

Reply New post
Message Subject: How do you use your fish finder
mm3
Posted 8/7/2021 9:15 AM (#982915)
Subject: How do you use your fish finder

I use my fish finder (Lowrance Elite-5 HDI with Fishing Hot Spots Pro) religiously. However, I'm really only using the Navigation and depth to get me to the spots that I have planned out or I am investigating the structure (mainly depths, drop offs and changes). I don't really use the imaging part much at all though.

Once I get to the spots I want (and I'm monitoring depth), I use vison, knowledge of weed growth and depth in that lake, and the feel/weeds on my lure to dial in on that structure.

How do you use your fish finder and what am I missing by not really using the imaging much at all?
ToddM
Posted 8/7/2021 1:24 PM (#982917 - in reply to #982915)
Subject: Re: How do you use your fish finder

I. Guessing your question assumes you have mapping, sonar down and side imaging. Each have their place. I really like down imaging for vertical jigging. First time I used it I seen 5 Muskies on my fuzzy duzzit I never would have known were on the bait. I typically don't run a map on a smaller lake. I do trolling to mark areas with bait in open water. It was also very handy at a place like LOTW. I don't see a reason not to run side imaging when casting.

Edited by ToddM 8/7/2021 1:26 PM
RyanJoz
Posted 8/7/2021 3:38 PM (#982919 - in reply to #982915)

I use it all. Without either sonar or imaging, you will never know where the baitfish are located and their depth. I have seen well over 100 muskies on SI while casting and caught about 20 that we have seen.

1 ft contours, down, and side on back unit, map and 2d on front when casting. We make it a 2 man operation while casting so both are in the know.
mm3
Posted 8/7/2021 4:14 PM (#982921 - in reply to #982919)

Do you use the imaging mainly before actually fishing the spot? Or, do you continue to peek at it while you're casting?
sworrall
Posted 8/7/2021 8:07 PM (#982924 - in reply to #982915)

Schooling fish:
I use two on the console and two on the bow with built in Meag on the Ultrex. Three are One-boat networked, a Humminbird Helix Mega 10, 8, and a 7. A Helix 5 on the console is my running GPS. Side imaging tells me where the fish are in relation to the structure as I look over the situation, but once I start working an area, is less important. Down imaging is on all the time on the bow, and my 360 is too unless I am certain where the fish are and what direction they are headed. Really love my 360, can't wait to get a Mega when available. Same with Mega Live. Crappie fishing machine. Any time I want to look over something I see on DI I drop an onboard HD Aqua-Vu camera in.

Muskies/pike:
Side when looking around, down on 2d on all the time at the bow, 360 is too when fishing more open water or when fish are off the edge, I can see all around the boat, not just left or right. Still, I work the structure slowly and by memory, always have and probably always will.

Trolling: Tracks, mega down and SI.
mm3
Posted 8/8/2021 8:15 PM (#982952 - in reply to #982924)

I can see I have some holes in my game when it comes to the imaging. That's why I'm asking the questions. I'll have to work on it.

I have had good success when I visually see muskies (both immediately casting to them for a reaction strike or coming back later) so I think seeing them on the imaging will add to that. Definitely will look for baitfish as well. It's hard for me to sometimes pick out the blob of baitfish though. Maybe just need to work at it.
vegas492
Posted 8/10/2021 8:58 AM (#982997 - in reply to #982915)

I run sonar on about 1/3 of my 10 inch helix and 2/3 side imaging. I watch that thing all the time. I find rocks out deep, panfish beds, fish, cars....etc. I zoom in on things I see to make sure of what I'm seeing. Sometimes I'll put waypoints down on what I'm seeing then go hit them better. Many times I don't see follows, but they show up on side imaging. I look at it often.
I have another unit that is setup just to run maps.
Really, screw around with what you have and force yourself to use things and look at things that you normally wouldn't.
Electronics have come oh so far that it is a shame not to make use of them.
RyanJoz
Posted 8/10/2021 11:10 AM (#983001 - in reply to #982997)

mm3,
I have SI on all the time when fishing. Doesn't matter trolling or casting. Front unit is networked so other person can monitor SI/DI as well. I run a 17ft tiller, so I have one in the back and one in the front. Biggest problems I see in others' boats I fish in are settings are not changed for a purpose (sensitivity, range, gain, what are you not seeing that you know is there, etc) and not properly leveling the SI transducer. Some use the coin trick, I have a digital angle finder. level the transducer to how the boat sits in the water at 2-5 mph, not how it sits on the trailer in the driveway. Leveling makes a huge difference in returns.
sworrall
Posted 8/11/2021 1:35 PM (#983029 - in reply to #982915)

My Mega 360 arrived today.
mm3
Posted 8/12/2021 7:52 PM (#984063 - in reply to #983029)

sworrall - 8/11/2021 1:35 PM

My Mega 360 arrived today.

Well, do you see Jimmy Hoffa down there?
sworrall
Posted 8/14/2021 4:21 PM (#984098 - in reply to #984063)

Got out with it yesterday on a small shallow lake. The weedline and lily pads were clearly defined as was the lake bottom and random fish out off the edge. So far, I like it a lot.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)