Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> side imaging question

Reply New post
Message Subject: side imaging question
TCESOX
Posted 6/10/2021 7:11 PM (#980553)
Subject: side imaging question

Got a mega+ unit this off season, and have only been out playing with it a few times. Over the last couple years I've seen a few guide seminars on electronics, and have watched a few You Tube tutorials, and the general consensus seems to be to run the scroll speed of the side imaging at about the same speed as your travel speed. I've only been out at scouting/trolling speed, and have been getting very good imaging, following this advise. A couple of guides have mentioned that they leave the scrolling speed at 3-4, even when creeping along at casting speed, which I haven't had much time to fiddle with yet. I'm wondering what others do. Do you slow your scroll speed down to one when casting, and then bump it up for scouting/trolling? If the imaging difference is negligible, then I would leave it at the scouting/trolling speed. But if the imaging is noticeably better when slowing down the scroll speed when casting, then I guess it would be worth adjusting the scroll speed. Or would matching your travel speed be less about imaging, and more about knowing where the fish/object is in relation to the boat?
miket55
Posted 6/10/2021 7:50 PM (#980554 - in reply to #980553)
Subject: Re: side imaging question

When I'm "creeping along", casting. I dial it down to one. It doesn't take a lot of derfingerspoken to change the setting.

Edited by miket55 6/10/2021 10:49 PM
OH Musky
Posted 6/13/2021 6:26 AM (#980592 - in reply to #980553)

I adjust mine to the speed I'm moving. Too fast and you miss stuff. Too slow and everything is drawn out too long. If I'm casting and creeping along, it's on 1 or 2. Seems that each unit has it's own mind when it comes to chart speed. I have a Helix 9 and 10 on the dash, and their speeds don't match (both set to 3 and one moves faster. Yeah, one is 1" bigger but the objects move off the screen faster on one of them).

Keep in mind that you need to be moving forward (in relation to the transducer) to have a clean image. If it is transom mounted and you drift sideways, the image will be garbage. I have one on my TM as well and turn it to the direction of the drift to see clearly.
TCESOX
Posted 6/13/2021 3:37 PM (#980602 - in reply to #980553)

Thank you, that is very helpful.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)