Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> NEW BOAT ENGINE CUTOFF SWITCH LAW GOES INTO EFFECT APRIL 1

Message Subject: NEW BOAT ENGINE CUTOFF SWITCH LAW GOES INTO EFFECT APRIL 1
miket55
Posted 3/19/2021 10:35 PM (#977178 - in reply to #976973)
Subject: Re: NEW BOAT ENGINE CUTOFF SWITCH LAW GOES INTO EFFECT APRIL 1

I don't know why this is an issue.. I'm gonna keep hooking up to my kill switch to stay in reach of my boat should either the unthinkable happen, or I do something incredibly stupid..
raftman
Posted 3/19/2021 11:49 PM (#977185 - in reply to #977176)

ToddM - 3/19/2021 9:30 PM

RLSea - 3/19/2021 8:37 PM

dfkiii - 3/19/2021 10:00 AM

North of 8 - 3/19/2021 9:50 AM

kap - 3/19/2021 8:07 AM

its not that big off a deal, just like wearing a mask, somehow a few feel it's a loss of liberty.
In both cases i could save your life, but more importantly it could save someone else's
there are several videos out there and more stories that don't have videos

Sadly, there is an entire class of citizens today that are very focused on rights, but forget that the flip side of rights and freedoms is responsibility.

Very true, but all that responsibility infringes on their rights ;-)

This is not really a "social dilemma" situation. This is more of individual rights vs. the rights of the collective.

I would say that Dan's comment reflected your statement but that's for a different floor in this building.

The rights I’m more concerned about impacting when creating these types of laws that fix a problem that doesn’t exist are the rights of those of people who may fit a certain profile that maybe law enforcement doesn’t have cause for hassling until the driver does something that might indicate maybe he’s not attached to his kill switch. Is that happening on Green Bay or Winnebago? Probably not. Federal waters in more diverse areas? Wouldn’t rule it out. I'd like to think no one is ever stopped on suspicion of not being connected to the cut off switch but I’m guessing people will be.

I’m attached to it more often than not and do think it should be worn btw. Just think a law is overkill.
North of 8
Posted 3/20/2021 7:44 AM (#977187 - in reply to #977185)

I am guessing one of the reasons the law went into effect was at the urging of insurance companies. As has been pointed out, when you codify something like this, you put the onus for compliance on the boat operator. Failure to do so may void any insurance coverage, freeing the insurance company of big payouts. On Winnebago, in the last decade, there was an instance of a driver getting thrown from one of those cigarette type boats. They can hit 90mph and are up to 30' long. As I recall, the boat continued on and piled up on some rocks, but it could just as easily struck other boats. That happens now, at least the insurance company might not be on the hook for damage to the runaway boat.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)