Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Tough crowd, muskie fishermen. Especially late at night. Seems that a toddy or two detaches reason from the average angler.
- (Added by: sworrall)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Cracking Paint

Message Subject: Cracking Paint
Emptynet
Posted 1/30/2021 3:22 PM (#974595)
Subject: Cracking Paint

Winter is my lure repaint & tough up season. trying to add paint to the back inch of a flat black Suick HI. I sanded it, shot a white base coat, then neon orange over the white. Twice now the orange has cracked while drying. I'm using rattle cans of Rustoleum neon orange over the Rustoleum Painter's Tough all purpose white. White base coat had 18hrs dry time at 68 degrees. I've used this combination several times in the past with no problems. I don't do nearly enough painting to invest in an airbrush. Any help is appreciated.
jdsplasher
Posted 1/31/2021 4:41 AM (#974609 - in reply to #974595)
Subject: RE: Cracking Paint

Usually this happens when spraying oil base over water base and vise versa. Longer periods of drying time seems to help also. Try to use the same paint as the Primer!

Also, applying a very light coat at a time can reduce the crackling;). Sometimes the Crackling looks Cool!

JD

crazywaynee
Posted 1/31/2021 8:46 AM (#974613 - in reply to #974595)
Subject: Re: Cracking Paint

I bet you are just putting down to much paint before first layer dries.
Easy to do with rattle cans.
Wayne
North of 8
Posted 1/31/2021 5:22 PM (#974632 - in reply to #974613)
Subject: Re: Cracking Paint

I had this happen with 2 vintage metal lawn chairs. Had spent hours with a grinder and wire wheel cleaning off layers of paint. Primed and then painted, following the instructions on the cans (same brand as yours). Looked great but the next day it was "wrinkled". Had to again clean all the paint off. Left primer coat dry for 5 days, painted and they have looked great sitting outside for several years. 5 days may have been excessive but was not going through that mess a third time.
Emptynet
Posted 1/31/2021 7:03 PM (#974638 - in reply to #974595)
Subject: RE: Cracking Paint

I stopped (albeit temporarily I bet) being a cheap SOB & bought some primer. Thanks much for the help & advise.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)