Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> boat shortage

Reply New post
Message Subject: boat shortage
North of 8
Posted 5/22/2021 1:31 PM (#980104 - in reply to #980096)
Subject: Re: boat shortage

RyanJoz - 5/22/2021 11:52 AM

With the coming $15/hr minimum wage and inflation, $20 starting pay is a slap in the face for anyone with skills. $42k per year after taxes is about 25k. Rent and utilities, fuel/car and food and there is literally nothing left. Hope said employee doesn’t have children or a significant other. Debt is looming…

The $20/hr jobs do not require skills, only the ability to lift up to 50 pounds and be on your feet for full shift
Muskyrookie
Posted 5/22/2021 5:23 PM (#980113 - in reply to #980100)

ToddM - 5/22/2021 1:47 PM

I worked 35 years in a field where I had to pick up other's slack and fix situations they created. Non-union. This is nothing new and wasn't new when I entered the workforce. Neither is management not doing anything about it, the work is getting done.

Ryan, I've seen I.T. jobs for 42K and HVAC jobs experience required under 20 and hour. No8, I would argue the Cheese company is an anomaly.

We are also living in different times tho. For most of that time $20 went a lil ways. Nowadays it doesn't.
As for that cheese factory it's 2nd shift which absolutely sucks if you want to have any type of life . Especially people in their 20s or 30s, or have children, that has alot going against it. I've worked every type of shift they make and by far the best was 4am - 2pm. Waking up at 2:30 was rough sometimes but missing most of the traffic both ways and having a head start to your day after work made up for it.
OH Musky
Posted 5/22/2021 5:35 PM (#980114 - in reply to #979887)

A lot of valid arguments on how people spent money but one thing is certain in my and my coworkers case. The $90 Ohio weekly underemployment didn’t make up for the 25-40% pay cut but the additional $600 per week federal sure did (the 40% was from mandatory OT for hourly workers that was cut to 32 hrs per week. The company said it was only 10%. Dumbasses. The $700 extra a week for April thru Aug added quite a bit to everyone’s overall pay (salaried went back to normal before the hourly did so we took in less overall). I understand that only applies to those not completely laid off but not many companies here in OH shutdown 100% like other states. My money is mostly still in the bank and paying for home repairs we’ve put off for far too long and CC bills Others, I have no doubt, bought boats, cars and other “luxury” items. Every place is different, I suppose.
RyanJoz
Posted 5/23/2021 6:45 AM (#980123 - in reply to #980104)

North of 8 - 5/22/2021 1:31 PM

RyanJoz - 5/22/2021 11:52 AM

With the coming $15/hr minimum wage and inflation, $20 starting pay is a slap in the face for anyone with skills. $42k per year after taxes is about 25k. Rent and utilities, fuel/car and food and there is literally nothing left. Hope said employee doesn’t have children or a significant other. Debt is looming…

The $20/hr jobs do not require skills, only the ability to lift up to 50 pounds and be on your feet for full shift

And when unemployment benefits are boosted $600 a week, they can get paid more to stay at home than to do any kind of work. There is no incentive to work, no reason to get a job to get ahead.
North of 8
Posted 5/23/2021 7:58 AM (#980125 - in reply to #979887)

The $600 supplement ended last year. Plus the jobs I mentioned have health insurance and company match on 401 k contributions.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)