Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Soft Tip Rod

Message Subject: Soft Tip Rod
Mak51
Posted 7/5/2021 7:41 PM (#982094)
Subject: Soft Tip Rod

I am looking for a rod with a softer tip for tossing smaller/mid jerkbaits. I've leaned on a Slingblade for years which is awesome for twitching big minnowbaits and jerks but looking for a compliment rod that can handle some smaller jerks & finicky baits, I feel a softer tip medium heavy or heavy would do the trick. If anyone has recommendations, please share what you like.
Cedar
Posted 7/5/2021 11:52 PM (#982097 - in reply to #982094)
Subject: RE: Soft Tip Rod

I've built several rods on St Croix Legend Tournament Musky Downsizer blanks to do exactly what you described. All of the lengths are rated up to 3oz baits. They have a pretty soft tip, good backbone, and light weight. Currently, I have one built to 8'8" that is my go to for a finesse presentation, or just throwing light baits.
RyanJoz
Posted 7/6/2021 6:46 AM (#982098 - in reply to #982097)
Subject: Re: Soft Tip Rod

Long ranger
Ruddiger
Posted 7/6/2021 11:58 AM (#982107 - in reply to #982097)

Howdy,

It’s so hard to get good information on those downsizer rod actions. On paper they are all very similar, however, I can’t imagine that is the case when you have them in hand. Can you describe the differences between all three blanks?

Take care,

Ruddiger
Rotorhead
Posted 7/6/2021 12:46 PM (#982110 - in reply to #982107)

Ruddiger, you hit the nail on the head. One of the issues is that there is no industry standard for power and action. They are fairly consistent within a brand so a heavy as compared to medium-heavy or extra heavy would be relative to each other within the brand. Generally they are sort of true between brands but one brand's heavy/fast action could be another's extra heavy/moderate action and so forth. Having a rod in-hand is the only way to truly know if it fits your intended need. I build muskie rods on MHX blanks and have shelved all my commercial rods for those as I find them perfect for me. I had a friend tell me my 9' heavy/fast MHX rod felt soft, but at the same time, he loves the MHX rods and I've built two for him at his request. Ask around among your friends to see if they have rods like what you're looking for. I wish sporting goods stores had demo rods for customers to try, or have a demo day at a local beach where they advertise and rig up several rods for customers to try. BTW, MHX has medium-heavy blanks in 7', 7'6", and 8' lengths for bait weights from 1 to 3.5 oz. I prefer heavy or extra heavy power, but based on the 8 MHX rods I have, I would think those medium-heavy blanks may very well fit the needs of Mak51 on his original post.
ToddC
Posted 7/6/2021 2:06 PM (#982114 - in reply to #982094)

I would give another vote to the Long Ranger. I’ve got two of them and for the application you describe I can’t think of a better rod.
Cedar
Posted 7/8/2021 12:37 AM (#982131 - in reply to #982107)

Ruddiger - 7/6/2021 11:58 AM

Howdy,

It’s so hard to get good information on those downsizer rod actions. On paper they are all very similar, however, I can’t imagine that is the case when you have them in hand. Can you describe the differences between all three blanks?

Take care,

Ruddiger

The 8'6" and the 9' Downsizer are pretty similar in action. They have a very fast tip section, and stiffen up to a Moderate Fast mid section. These were developed as big swimbait rods for Bass, that were brought over for Musky. There are corresponding Bass rods with different ratings in the St Croix line, but they are the same rods. The downsizer blanks are thinner, lighter, and have a MUCH faster action than a typical Musky rod. If you've used a Legend Tournament or Legend Elite Fast/Xtra Fast spinning rod, then you will have an idea as to how this tip is. They not like any other Musky rod, and are not for everyone. Where that fast tip starts to stiffen up, is where the most breakage will occur for people that don't treat it like the tool that it is. Keeping that in mind when using it will let the rod last a long time. I've used them since they came out, and have caught quiet a few fish with no issues. They are a nice change up from throwing heavy baits, and work well with a 300, or a good 200 size reel. I use a Revo Beast 40 on my 8'8" most of the time. Older guys can throw these all day, and they are a really nice rod to cast with... no matter how old you are. I have less experience with the 7'10" Twitch Stick, but have more with the Rod Geeks 7'10" Carbon 4, which is pretty much the same blank. These don't have as fast a tip as the 2 longer downsizers. It's similar to a Top N Tail, but with a thinner/faster tip, and 2" shorter. I like the size of this rod for picking apart a shoreline with small baits. For me, it's a super accurate caster. I have a Komodo 273 with 50 lb braid on one, and it is a sweet combo.
JHC
Posted 7/10/2021 7:49 AM (#982160 - in reply to #982094)

I have an 8’ H premier that I use as you describe. Softer tip than my Slingblade. But not designed to be a lighter action if that appeals to you. The H action adds backbone, blank stiffness and hookset power vs other good options mentioned above.

It does very well with topwaters. And river fishing where casting accuracy is very important.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)