Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Reel problems, letting out line at end of retrieve

Message Subject: Reel problems, letting out line at end of retrieve
bbeaupre
Posted 7/18/2021 7:52 PM (#982357)
Subject: Reel problems, letting out line at end of retrieve

I have a Diawa Lexa HD 400, its about 8 years old but does not get used a ton so it is in pretty good shape besides the one issue I am having. At the end of my retrieve when I stop reeling to go into my figure 8 it lets out about 12" of line. I was thinking it is a antireverse issue but not sure. Hoping someone on here has some input on how to fix this. Thanks in advance!
ToddC
Posted 7/18/2021 8:32 PM (#982359 - in reply to #982357)
Subject: Re: Reel problems, letting out line at end of retrieve

Sounds like your anti reverse clutch bearing is bad. I just had it happen in my Abu Rocket. The nylon bearing cage came apart and I need to press a new bearing into the reel side plate. Boca bearing had an upgraded bearing that I ordered to replace the stock one. I’m sure you can get one for your reel as well. Good luck!
Propster
Posted 7/18/2021 8:36 PM (#982360 - in reply to #982357)

Does your reel handle go backward when this happens? If so it is definitely your anti reverse bearing (roller clutch). If not and assuming your drag works, the only other thing I can think of is the pinion gear is somehow disengaging from the spool shaft pin, allowing the spool to go in reverse. Worn “jaws” perhaps on the pinion
ToddC
Posted 7/18/2021 8:36 PM (#982361 - in reply to #982357)

Sounds like your anti reverse clutch bearing is bad. I just had it happen in my Abu Rocket. The nylon bearing cage came apart and I need to press a new bearing into the reel side plate. Boca bearing had an upgraded bearing that I ordered to replace the stock one. I’m sure you can get one for your reel as well. Good luck!
RyanJoz
Posted 7/19/2021 9:09 AM (#982368 - in reply to #982361)

1st step is to clean and oil the AR bearing. most of the time the rollers get hung up from being dirty and dry. clean with rubbing alcohol on a qtip twisting and rolling it around the inside of the bearing. no need to press it out of the reel at this point. after it is clean, apply 3 drops of oil to the AR bearing. clean the roller sleeve and re-install the sideplate. If this does not fix the issue, you will need a new bearing. if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, that works wonders for cleaning bearings. use alcohol for AR bearings or acetone for spool bearings. you won't believe the amount of dirt that comes out of a bearing in a reel. I used to own a business servicing reels. Pikemaster taught me about the ultrasonic cleaner.
ToddC
Posted 7/19/2021 10:41 AM (#982372 - in reply to #982368)

RyanJoz - 7/19/2021 9:09 AM

1st step is to clean and oil the AR bearing. most of the time the rollers get hung up from being dirty and dry. clean with rubbing alcohol on a qtip twisting and rolling it around the inside of the bearing. no need to press it out of the reel at this point. after it is clean, apply 3 drops of oil to the AR bearing. clean the roller sleeve and re-install the sideplate. If this does not fix the issue, you will need a new bearing. if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, that works wonders for cleaning bearings. use alcohol for AR bearings or acetone for spool bearings. you won't believe the amount of dirt that comes out of a bearing in a reel. I used to own a business servicing reels. Pikemaster taught me about the ultrasonic cleaner.[/QUOTE

Good advice here! A proper clean is always the first move. I can’t believe all the grease that are in some reels. My IAR bearing had quite a bit of it. Oil is a much better choice.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/19/2021 11:28 AM (#982377 - in reply to #982372)

You have backing on your spool?
bbeaupre
Posted 7/19/2021 12:40 PM (#982383 - in reply to #982357)
Subject: RE: Reel problems, letting out line at end of retrieve

thanks for the replies. Yes I do believe the reel handle moves when this happens, but will check tonight. Yes there is backing. I do clean my reels every other year, but perhaps this is not sufficient. I will take the great advice here and thoroughly clean the AR bearing, I do have access to a sonic bath and will give that a go. If not I will likely be back here asking for input on a good replacement bearing for this reel. Should have time to get to this sometime this week. Thanks again you guys are awesome!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)