Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Suggestions on a Rod/Reel for teenage newbie

Message Subject: Suggestions on a Rod/Reel for teenage newbie
Booch
Posted 2/28/2020 1:02 PM (#954255)
Subject: Suggestions on a Rod/Reel for teenage newbie

It's been a while since I've shopped for a rod/reel, and I'm bringing a newbie teenager with me this year on our annual trip and want to get him outfitted with his own setup.

He's an avid bass fisherman, and I don't want to overwhelm him with a beastly setup that will wear him out (he can use one of mine if he wants). I'm thinking something in the 7 1/2-8 1/2' range, that'll handle up to 2oz blades and such.

Don't want to spend a ton , but also don't want to be picking out bird nests all day long.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

kdawg
Posted 2/29/2020 10:07 AM (#955268 - in reply to #954255)
Subject: RE: Suggestions on a Rod/Reel for teenage newbie

Could always check the buy and sell forum, or if u want new, how about a max toro paired up with a St. Croix Muskie Triumph 7'06" mh, or something a little more economical such as an Abu 5500c3 paired up with a BPS Graphite Series 7'06" h. Good start up combos if cared for could last a long time and catch a lot of fish, big ones to. Kdawg
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/29/2020 2:50 PM (#955275 - in reply to #954255)
Subject: Re: Suggestions on a Rod/Reel for teenage newbie

If going economical I’d get a tackle industries 8.5’ xh with an Abu Garcia Revo S with 80 pound Cortland. That will last a long time and do the job for most any bait.

I wouldn’t go shorter. He’ll be asking for a longer rod in no time.
upnortdave
Posted 3/2/2020 6:35 AM (#955311 - in reply to #955275)

Pmd
curleytail
Posted 3/2/2020 8:50 AM (#955317 - in reply to #954255)

How old is the teen and does he use a baitcaster for bass fishing? Depending on his experience with baitcasters, and his age, size, and fishing conditioning, he might be able to pretty comfortably fish with an 8 5 to 9 foot, medium heavy to heavy type rod with a standard low profile reel. I agree with the suggestion for a Tackle Industries rod and Revo Toro S.

I caught my personal best 52.5 on LOTW with the older style Revo Toro and a 9 foot TI rod. Doesn't break the bank but it can handle serious fishing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)