Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> What lb. braid

Message Subject: What lb. braid
jdsplasher
Posted 3/5/2020 11:20 AM (#955437 - in reply to #955348)
Subject: RE: What lb. braid

“Something to think about”.....I can see long casts possibly with a surface bait.....BUT, it’s been proven that most musky eat the first 10’ and last 10’ of retrieve. A simple 45-65’ cast is all you really need. You simply have better presentation/& lure control with a shorter cast. Also your numbers of boated fish will be enhanced.

Bucktails, spinnerbaits, jerks, gliders for me are shorter casts.

If you want a bait to be in the water longer....let out 10-20’ of line, and start your engine;)

JD

southern comfort
Posted 3/7/2020 8:36 AM (#955519 - in reply to #953793)
Subject: Re: What lb. braid

For what its worth ... I have a Tranx 500 on a Big Nasty, Tranx 400 on a Sling Blade and Tranx 400 on Long Ranger. I have the break set up with 2 on and 3 off with the Long Ranger . I have 80lb Master Braid on all 3. I use the Tranx/ Long Ranger for top water and smaller bucktails. I can bomb cast smaller bucktails no problem with that setup. I have tried different brands and weight of line on all my setups and have found negligible difference in casting distance.
kdawg
Posted 3/7/2020 11:31 AM (#955522 - in reply to #955519)

This happened to me once,not on those exact pieces of equipment but on a spinning rod. I could not seem to cast far until I took a close look at the guides on the rod. On two of the guides, there were small pieces of dirt/sand that had built up on the guides. Once the guides were all cleaned, and then went over with q-tips, I was able to cast far again. Just something to look at. Kdawg
NPike
Posted 3/7/2020 2:58 PM (#955525 - in reply to #954226)

ToddM - 2/27/2020 1:34 PM

I don't know what the sling blade lure weight it but those are small bucktails and I would use in St Croix terms a MH 1-3oz rod. You could also try adding weight to the small bucktails with a bell sinker.

Agreed and am very pleased with the Mojo Musky series from St. Croix. Cabela's has a similar class rod but I didn't care much for the action.BTW the post about most hits on the 1st ~ 15' feet or last ~15' seems to hold true for me as well. It's like they hit soon after Y start reeling or as the bait approaches the boat.
Chasin Giants
Posted 3/8/2020 6:21 PM (#955560 - in reply to #953793)

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions. I just picked up a long ranger and I will soon find out if it makes a difference. I will keep you all posted in what I find out. Thanks
ToddC
Posted 3/8/2020 6:53 PM (#955562 - in reply to #955560)

Chasin Giants - 3/8/2020 6:21 PM

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions. I just picked up a long ranger and I will soon find out if it makes a difference. I will keep you all posted in what I find out. Thanks

I’ll bet u will like it. I liked mine so much that I now have two of them. Good fishing!!!
RLSea
Posted 3/8/2020 10:10 PM (#955570 - in reply to #955562)

ToddC - 3/8/2020 6:53 PM

Chasin Giants - 3/8/2020 6:21 PM

I’ll bet u will like it. I liked mine so much that I now have two of them. Good fishing!!!

^^^^What he said. My LR is my fave.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)