Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Talon anchor and 9.9 kicker too much weight?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Talon anchor and 9.9 kicker too much weight?
Glide99
Posted 1/26/2020 7:47 AM (#953010)
Subject: Talon anchor and 9.9 kicker too much weight?

Hello. I was writing up a boat purchase with a Crestliner dealer at the Milwaukee Boat Show. It's a 2019 175 Pro Tiller with a 90 Mercury. I added a 9.9 kicker and a 10 ft Talon anchor in the write up, but one of their techs told me that having the Talon and the kicker on it would be too much weight. He said it's a 30 mph boat, but would be a 20 mph boat with all the extra weight and would make the boat sit too low in the stearn on the water. The other issue is that it has a boarding ladder which would have to be removed to make room for the Talon. Not thrilled with having a bunch of holes in the transom. Has anyone dealt with anything similar to this, or is anyone running a similar setup? Thanks in advance.
sworrall
Posted 1/26/2020 12:01 PM (#953031 - in reply to #953010)
Subject: Re: Talon anchor and 9.9 kicker too much weight?

We had dual Talons, an extra heavy duty battery and a just encase deck box loaded to the top in a 1750 Lund with a 90, no issues.
TCESOX
Posted 1/26/2020 12:10 PM (#953032 - in reply to #953010)

I've got an 1825 Pro Guide, with a 90 horse Merc. I would forgo the kicker. The big motor sips fuel at low speeds for muskie trolling and back trolling for walleyes, and use the bow mount for forward trolling for walleye. Different story if you have a really big motor.
VMS
Posted 1/26/2020 5:31 PM (#953044 - in reply to #953010)

Hiya,

I think you will be fine. If the kicker is not mounted permantly, you can always take it off and store it on a stand until you are headed to a remote lake/big body of water or fishing for a species you would want to use it for such as back trolling for walleyes.

I am a proponent of having a kicker, especially on larger bodies of water, most notably canadian lakes where there seems to be chunks of granite that can be hungry at times. The last thing I want to have happen is be out on a big body of water with a main motor that goes down for whatever reason and have no way off the water.

A few years ago, neighbor up north was out on leech lake when his big motor went down on a wind-blown rock shore. He was the only boat in the area and due to no other way off the water ended up totaling the boat.

Various trips to Manitoba have left many boats down a big motor due to rocks, and being some 20 miles or further out without communication is not smart. It has always been a part of trip planning for that area for all boats to have a secondary kicker.

Your boat may squat just a touch in the rear, but that will not be an issue. As soon as you move up front to fish, things will be just fine. 33 to 35 should be around what you should see with proper set-up.

Enjoy your new rig!!

Steve

Edited by VMS 1/27/2020 6:51 AM
Fishysam
Posted 1/28/2020 1:32 PM (#953160 - in reply to #953010)

Keep it ordered but not installed , load up the boat and Bring a 50+ pound kid or another adult and have them stand way back there. I don't think that you would have an issue
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)