Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> "T-ing" hooks good or bad?

Message Subject: "T-ing" hooks good or bad?
Ruddiger
Posted 1/12/2020 10:43 AM (#952329)
Subject: "T-ing" hooks good or bad?

Howdy,

I came of age musky fishing in the early 90's and this (T-ing hooks) seemed to be the prevailing idea to increase hook ups. Later it became promoted to avoid hook rash.

I was recently going through some newer posts and people opined that it actually decreased hook ups.

So, does anyone have a definitive take on this one way or the other?

Take care,

Ruddiger
horsehunter
Posted 1/12/2020 11:36 AM (#952332 - in reply to #952329)
Subject: Re: "T-ing" hooks good or bad?

I always figured a certain amount of research , study and continuous improvement went into hook design by people who knew much more than me so I was content to use products from companies that had been in the game for many many decades.
However I troll almost exclusively with big wooden crankbaits that I don't want chewed up by my hooks So years ago I started replacing my hooks with Mustad 7982 HS stainless double hooks which I believe are saltwater tuna hooks. I have been very happy with them but warn they are pricey in large sizes and wont be cut with hardware store cutters. If the bronzed steel ones came back I would go back to them.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/12/2020 12:32 PM (#952334 - in reply to #952332)

I did that for a while, worried about the shiny pretty paint jobs... Later discovered that the fish really don't care much.

The only benefit I've seen is to avoid the hooks swinging up and burying themselves in the wood for those lures where that happens often. Also wonder about the integrity of said hooks after you've bent them.
horsehunter
Posted 1/12/2020 2:09 PM (#952341 - in reply to #952334)

esoxaddict - 1/12/2020 1:32 PM

The only benefit I've seen is to avoid the hooks swinging up and burying themselves in the wood

That was one of my main concerns once the finish is gone it seems to frequently happen
bturg
Posted 1/12/2020 10:13 PM (#952357 - in reply to #952341)

I think they hook up quite a bit better with a "T" in them. Not beating up lures is a side benefit.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 1/13/2020 5:31 PM (#952422 - in reply to #952357)

Any bait I troll with I -T- the hooks on it. They hook up better in my opinion and if the hook is bad it will break when u bend it. Only had issues with 1 companies lures hooks breaking so I just replace them all before I T them.
I also do it to save wear and tear on expensive wood lures with custom paint jobs. Some plastics if you don't T them hooks will burn a hole threw them then they sink.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
25homes
Posted 1/14/2020 1:27 PM (#952506 - in reply to #952329)

I T all my crank bait hooks for sure and also T all of my glide bait hooks which greatly improve Hook up IMO
7ovr50
Posted 1/16/2020 11:05 AM (#952652 - in reply to #952329)

When I "T" my hooks I make sure the weld is pointing down on the middle hook. This some times results in totally redesigning the hook spread on another of the treble hooks to achieve an equal hook gap on each hook. This additional modification "balances" the hook so that the hook swing is equal to both sides. This prevents most hooks burying into the side of the bait while casting and almost eliminates trolling hook rash. Plus my hook up ratio is great using this form to "T" hooks. And if the hook breaks I'd rather have it happen in my hand not on a fish.
Ranger
Posted 1/18/2020 2:38 PM (#952731 - in reply to #952329)

The first and best reason to T hooks is to minimize a sharp point from being buried in the side of the lure either on the cast or the retrieve. Suicks and Poes Giant Jackpots are two good examples of baits that want T'd hooks. Even T'd hooks will wear grooves in the sides of those baits, tho, especially the Jackpot.
southern comfort
Posted 1/19/2020 9:43 AM (#952754 - in reply to #952329)

T-ing hooks on Suicks definitely improves hookups. Side rash is not eliminated but in my opinion only improves performance of wood suicks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)