Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> 7ft or shorter Rod Suggestions for Heavy Jerks and Gliders ?

Message Subject: 7ft or shorter Rod Suggestions for Heavy Jerks and Gliders ?
AndrewR
Posted 11/6/2019 11:13 AM (#949496)
Subject: 7ft or shorter Rod Suggestions for Heavy Jerks and Gliders ?

Looking at getting a short length and very heavy action rod for working big gliders, jerkbaits, and especially Manta Hang Ten's.

Anybody got suggestions or favorite 6 and a half foot to 7 foot (or shorter) rods I should look at?

I'm thinking something comparable to a St. Croix Premier (PM70XHF) 7 footer extra heavy, but heavier action and weight. 3-8 oz is kinda wimpy. Any other manufacturers make something comparable?

I'm not picky or particular about the rod other than length and extra heavy weight. Just want a short and heavy stick to work these types of baits much easier. Short rod length is a must.

Thank you.
happy hooker
Posted 11/6/2019 1:10 PM (#949497 - in reply to #949496)
Subject: RE: 7ft or shorter Rod Suggestions for Heavy Jerks and Gliders ?

I have a ton of short jerkbait rods they are great for gliders and walk the dog surface baits you get more control and steering with a short rod.
I've had a bunch and I really don't see any reason to put a huge amount of cash into this size rod. I've found the perfect action from the shimanno compre models, the 6ft and 6 '8 work great but I don't know if they make these new anymore.
If you can get to swapmeets,, for a while I was buying short jerkbait rods for has low has $30 nice quality ones too because everybody was getting into the long rod craze and getting rid of their short ones.
You might try searching craigslist for the older or more casual musky fisherman who is getting rid of stuff.
AndrewR
Posted 11/6/2019 6:23 PM (#949508 - in reply to #949497)

Cool yah! Thanks for suggestions. Ebay and Swaps were going to be the alternative if unable to find something new.

Short rod length is exactly what I need for manipulating these heavy baits. I just cannot give them action currently with 8-9 footers like you can with the short sticks.
kdawg
Posted 11/6/2019 7:23 PM (#949511 - in reply to #949497)

I have an older St. Croix premier 6'09", rated for 1-5 oz. baits, and it handles my hang tens just fine. Kdawg
muskyroller
Posted 11/6/2019 7:44 PM (#949516 - in reply to #949496)
Subject: Re: 7ft or shorter Rod Suggestions for Heavy Jerks and Gliders ?

What’s Adam using for his hang 10 rods? Have you reached out to him? I have a 6’ premier XH that snaps em brilliantly. My favorite is the 6’ 9” heavy or XH Premier (can’t remember after I lost it...sad day!)
TCESOX
Posted 11/6/2019 8:34 PM (#949520 - in reply to #949496)

I was using a 7' 6" rod for my walk the dogs, and drove me nuts. About every third snap, it would tick the water. Got a 7' Premier rated for 2-6 oz. lures. Perfect for me. I'm a little under 6' tall, and I like the rod straight in from to me, pointed down at my feet. Very happy with it.
Landry
Posted 11/6/2019 9:00 PM (#949521 - in reply to #949496)

Apparently any rod under 8’6” is garbage now so you should be able to find a good one used.
Their loss is your gain.
RLSea
Posted 11/6/2019 9:38 PM (#949522 - in reply to #949496)

Visit the St. Croix store in Park Falls. They often have repaired rods for sale which had the tips broken off. I bought a repaired Sling Blade I use for jerks that is slightly under 8' - great rod for me. They had shorter rods available at the time.
AndrewR
Posted 11/6/2019 11:57 PM (#949523 - in reply to #949516)

muskyroller - 11/6/2019 7:44 PM

What’s Adam using for his hang 10 rods? Have you reached out to him? I have a 6’ premier XH that snaps em brilliantly. My favorite is the 6’ 9” heavy or XH Premier (can’t remember after I lost it...sad day!)

We pondered the subject last week. My river guru / sensei suggested 6 footers, and find a custom builder as not too many short rods are in the game currently.

I'll keep an eye out for 6 and a half to 7 foot. The XH Premier was suggested too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)