Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best gloves/boots for fall trolling/casting?

Message Subject: Best gloves/boots for fall trolling/casting?
Jamessh1
Posted 11/10/2019 7:05 PM (#949666)
Subject: Best gloves/boots for fall trolling/casting?

I’ve done months of Wim Hoff breathing exercises and daily cold showers to help improve my circulation and cold resistance. I still have a ways to go when it comes to keeping my hands and feet warm. In near freezing weather on lake of the woods and Park Rapids MN area I needed hot packs every few hours for both hands and feet. Just wanted to see if others that suffer these cold extremity issues had a “magic bullet” purchase that kept their hands and /or feet reliably warm. Any suggestions?
ToddM
Posted 11/10/2019 7:19 PM (#949667 - in reply to #949666)
Subject: Re: Best gloves/boots for fall trolling/casting?

I wear ice armor gloves and got used to using them. My hands star warm. I wear Arctic style boots and a snowmobile suit. Keeping your core warm really helps your hands and feet.
Fishysam
Posted 11/11/2019 10:55 AM (#949682 - in reply to #949666)

Muck boots. 5-8 pairs of gloves in a few weights and when they get damp replace them.
North of 8
Posted 11/11/2019 1:14 PM (#949693 - in reply to #949666)

The boots I wear are rubber boots made by Kamik, with a removable felt liner. They are slip on, mid-calf, with a draw string and a strip of nylon around the top. I leave the draw string loose. If I should go over the side in cold weather, I want boots that I can easily shed. Many years ago when I was young we were fishing in Canada in early fall, temps in mid-30s. When we were ready to leave, my buddy took the boat out to run the gas out of the carb. Common practice back then. He hit a log floating just below the surface in 20 feet of water and was flipped out. Fortunately the cushion he was sitting on flew out as well and that saved him. But, his knee high lace up rubber boots filled with water and he was sinking before he found the cushion. He said it was like having an anchor tied to each leg.
BretRobert1
Posted 11/11/2019 2:56 PM (#949698 - in reply to #949666)

Fished last night and the night before in Northern Minnesota. Yesterday, the "feels like" was -5 when we got off the water.

My opinion: Kast Steelhead gloves are the best glove I've used for casting. But, when the air temp dips down to where reels being to stop working/ice is starting to form in the guides throughout the day, they're not going to keep you very warm. Also, when used to grab fish out of the net, they tend to really freeze up, much more so than others.

-I've been using a pair of Stormr (sp?) off and on the last couple years, too. They're not as cast friendly, but still pretty good. The line is going to slip off your thumb a couple times throughout the day, but they're pretty solid. For what they lack in castability, they make-up for in a little more warmth compared to the Kast gloves. These are still not what I'd consider warm gloves, though.

-When we aren't able to cast anymore, and forced to strictly troll or sucker fish, these gloves have been awesome. Can still utilize your fingers (with gloves on) to a certain degree (changing baits etc), and are very warm. I didn't really need hand warmers last night.
https://www.idigear.com/arctic-armor-gloves.html

My buddy wears one of those quarterback hand warmer things (loaded with hand warmer packs) around his waist. I tried it for a minute and it was a like a little microwave.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-GORE-WINDSTOPPER-HANDWARMER/...

-I'm the wrong person to ask about boots. I wear Helly Hansen's, but wouldn't really recommend them for late, late fall fishing. I've stuck with them b/c they don't feel bulky or rigid when I'm casting big baits, but what they gain in comfort, they definitely lack in warmth. Would be interested in hearing others' feedback on boots.
ToddM
Posted 11/11/2019 8:29 PM (#949716 - in reply to #949666)

One thing I stop doing when the water temps get really cold is I stop using the fish handling gloves. They aren't water proof and they will suck the heat right out of your hands. It can be a chore just to get them off and it takes awhile to get them warm again. I had to help a fishing partner get them off his hands last weekend.and stopped using them in late fall for that reason.
Jamessh1
Posted 11/11/2019 10:04 PM (#949720 - in reply to #949666)

Just wanted to thank everyone for their opinions! Going through cabelas Canada choices I see Columbia and North Face boots with 200 grams thinsulate, and a cabelas boot with 2,000g, literally 10 x more. https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97984/cabelas-mens-inferno-2000-gram-... . I’m personally more prone to preferring a fitted/athletic/ hiking type boot instead of the old school heavy “winter boot”. More so for freedom of movement instead of comfort.

I bought and used these last year and needed to cycle hot packs through the day. It’s tricky because the hands start to sweat and then freeze..Glacier Outdoor Premium Waterproof Glove (Black/Blue, Large) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002SW1RYG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_b2IYDbQ60Y0...

I’m thinking of getting a larger “ mitt” like the ice Armor or something similar to wear over the water proof gloves. Something I can pull off when a fish hits while trolling and just maintain the “inner” fingered gloves. Of course just finding a great warm and flexible fingered glove would negate the need for an inner and outer combo..

I’ll further investigate every post here to see what’s available to me north of the border. Thanks again to all and please keep the suggestions coming, let’s bring some game changing essentials to the forefront before Black Friday.

Edited by Jamessh1 11/11/2019 10:05 PM
mikie
Posted 11/12/2019 9:14 AM (#949748 - in reply to #949666)

I like these. m

http://stores.sheltonsclothing.com/mossy-oak-the-3-legends-professi...
RJ_692
Posted 11/13/2019 8:55 AM (#949818 - in reply to #949666)

Have a look at Baffin boots. They have some excellent light weight boots that are really warm.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)