Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Sucker Shortage Alternative?

Message Subject: Sucker Shortage Alternative?
KenK
Posted 10/17/2019 8:17 AM (#948412 - in reply to #948251)
Subject: Re: Sucker Shortage Alternative?

Same thing I have heard. Rearing ponds froze out last winter creating this season's shortage.
MartinTD
Posted 10/17/2019 8:27 AM (#948414 - in reply to #948251)

I was told the creeks where they trap them are high for this time of year which has resulted in dangerous/difficult trapping conditions. So, not actually a shortage of suckers just that they haven't been able to trap them as efficiently.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/17/2019 5:15 PM (#948445 - in reply to #948251)

Question for those in the know:

I get the VHS rules for the most part. But would it be illegal to catch suckers in a river that flows into or out of the lake I want to use them on? It's easy enough to catch your own, and actually kind of fun. But does "transporting them away from the body of water where you caught them" apply when the two are basically connected?
ToothyCritter
Posted 10/23/2019 3:17 PM (#948712 - in reply to #948251)
Subject: RE: Sucker Shortage Alternative?

These were tough to get and not cheap. At least we will have something for Saturday.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Suckers.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Suckers.jpg (85KB - 474 downloads)
ToddM
Posted 10/23/2019 9:36 PM (#948744 - in reply to #948712)
Subject: RE: Sucker Shortage Alternative?

ToothyCritter - 10/23/2019 3:17 PM

These were tough to get and not cheap. At least we will have something for Saturday.

Not unless that lid is padlocked!
jchiggins
Posted 10/23/2019 10:16 PM (#948748 - in reply to #948445)

esoxaddict - 10/17/2019 5:15 PM

I get the VHS rules for the most part. But would it be illegal to catch suckers in a river that flows into or out of the lake I want to use them on? It's easy enough to catch your own, and actually kind of fun. But does "transporting them away from the body of water where you caught them" apply when the two are basically connected?
Yes it would be legal Jeff. The transporting them in quantities could raise a red flag but wouldn't be worth their trouble. Most states are now more worried about transporting the water then the bait itself. I'm sure pointer could give you the scoop.

Edited by jchiggins 10/23/2019 10:17 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/23/2019 10:27 PM (#948749 - in reply to #948748)

jchiggins - 10/23/2019 10:16 PM

esoxaddict - 10/17/2019 5:15 PM

Yes it would be legal Jeff. The transporting them in quantities could raise a red flag but wouldn't be worth their trouble. Most states are now more worried about transporting the water then the bait itself. I'm sure pointer could give you the scoop.

I can’t really speak for Wisconsin or IL, but the issue as noted would be the water. You would need to bring your own water (from a bait shop and/or home). And I definitely wouldn’t transport them in your boat/livewell. There are also bait harvest regulations here that I’m not super well versed on other than taking from an infested water for any use isn’t allowed. Some of our more confusing regulations.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)