Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Sound and water temperature

Message Subject: Sound and water temperature
Sudszee
Posted 8/28/2019 1:46 PM (#946065)
Subject: Sound and water temperature

I just read sound travels faster through colder water than warmer water. I wonder, is the sound you hear or feel different at warmer or colder temps. For instance, a hook that's colder in cold water banging on a lure sound any different than in warmer water?
Ciscokid82
Posted 8/28/2019 8:27 PM (#946089 - in reply to #946065)
Subject: Re: Sound and water temperature

Wow! Never thought of that, could be a real game changer
ulbian
Posted 8/28/2019 9:32 PM (#946091 - in reply to #946065)

This probably resides solidly in the Self Fulfilling Prophecy (SFP) realm but.....alot of times you hear bass gear and rattle traps as a solid choice for fishing the reservoirs in Tennessee and Kentucky in February and March. Do other baits work? Yup, but if you only use one bait over and over and make it work it's an SFP. Lived in Tennessee for a spell and used "summer" baits on Melton Hill in the week between Christmas and New Year's and they worked. However....

Prior to moving south for about a year this concept of sound and water temp intrigued me. You have "click" baits such as a rattle trap or small Jake/Shallow Raider/etc. and "clunk" baits like a Burt. Small rattles (click) make a higher pitched sound than the baits do with larger rattles (clunk). I'm hesitant to say that there was a difference because it could've just been a SFP where I was using one type over the other in certain conditions. When water temps were dropping the "click" baits tended to out produce the "clunk" baits but when temps were rising or holding steady above 65 degrees the "clunk" baits were the preferred choice.

Experiments have been done where baits have been recorded with a hydrophone and while it is interesting what does it really tell us? Not a heck of a lot...it only gives us information of what we as humans hear. Our ears do not share the same physiological characteristics of an esocid's lateral line so while it may sound great to us it might not sound as good to these fish. Throw that into an uncontrolled environment and it's still a crap shoot. However, one of the more intriguing day long boat conversations I've had was where myself and another individual who sometimes contributes to this site discussed the feasibility of modifying an inline blade bait (bucktail) and turning it into a rudimentary DC motor. If we can ascertain that there is a sweet spot in terms of a low level voltage that triggers a positive response in fish we might be onto something. Perhaps someone has built a bucktail with copper windings and magnets already and we just haven't heard about it yet...or maybe it's just a ridiculously crazy idea that is reserved for those who not only think outside the box but on a different planet as the box factory itself.

Edited by ulbian 8/28/2019 9:34 PM
Gabelle
Posted 9/16/2019 5:09 AM (#946831 - in reply to #946065)

I haven't thought of it and it would be a game-changer for sure.
horsehunter
Posted 9/16/2019 5:29 AM (#946832 - in reply to #946065)

Does a 9 inch perch click or clunk?
sukrchukr
Posted 9/16/2019 8:21 AM (#946838 - in reply to #946065)

I just go fishing and try different baits until something works. There is such a thing as over thinking
ToddM
Posted 9/16/2019 11:45 AM (#946852 - in reply to #946832)

horsehunter - 9/16/2019 5:29 AM

Seriously? You never watched a perch tap dance?
sukrchukr
Posted 9/16/2019 12:29 PM (#946860 - in reply to #946065)

I have a water wolf camera. The first time I watched the vid, I was floored by the sound a crankbait gives off! With as much noise the hooks squeaking and clanking, makes me wonder if they can hear the rattles
ghoti
Posted 9/16/2019 4:33 PM (#946871 - in reply to #946832)

horsehunter - 9/16/2019 5:29 AM

They crunch when I bite into them!
CincySkeez
Posted 9/18/2019 9:13 AM (#946947 - in reply to #946065)

I've been known to add a cotter pin to a bait or two for a little extra click and clack. Some days the pinless baits don't move a fish while the clackers get all the action and vice versa
sworrall
Posted 9/18/2019 9:19 AM (#946948 - in reply to #946065)

Average room temperature sound through water is about 1674 yards per second. I'm betting that any small difference between cold and warm won't make any difference.
bbeaupre
Posted 9/18/2019 4:25 PM (#946978 - in reply to #946065)
Subject: RE: Sound and water temperature

I agree with Steve. The additive increase due to water density would be negligible.
Also, your baits are soooooooo much louder than anything naturally occurring in any water temperature.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)