Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Sabaskong Bay Report

Message Subject: Sabaskong Bay Report
jkurtkrauss
Posted 9/4/2019 1:35 PM (#946319)
Subject: Sabaskong Bay Report

Just got back. Saw A LOT of fish, caught a fair amount of smaller ones. Lost more than I care to think about, and of course they were the bigger fish.
Just about everything on was on prop baits with a Fat Bastard being top choice. Most follows were VERY aggressive on the figure 8. A few on chartreuse bucktails.
Estimate about 70 % of the fish we moved were on rocks the rest in weeds. Small islands with a gently sloping side and chunk rock were favored.

First time at LOTW since 2009. Huge difference in the amount of musky boats. Previous years we’d see as little a 5 or 6 boats a day, now it seems we were having to elbow our way in to favorite spots. Before it seemed maybe 20% were musky boats, now it’s closer to 80%. It was the 4 days before Labor Day, however.

That being said, anyone have an opinion on when is the optimum time to go for less pressure but still good fishing? Do the crowds thin out later in September?

Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/4/2019 4:12 PM (#946335 - in reply to #946319)
Subject: Re: Sabaskong Bay Report

Well there are a million boats mid - july, when I usually go. Opener might your best bet, or late fall. I figured there were less people around the time you went, so I was surprised by your report.
Propster
Posted 9/4/2019 6:52 PM (#946343 - in reply to #946319)

Where did you stay and did you fish east into Sabaskong Bay itself, or west and north of Morson?
Stealthski
Posted 9/4/2019 10:01 PM (#946349 - in reply to #946319)
Subject: RE: Sabaskong Bay Report

My brother and I go to Mylies during the second week in Sept each year. We're heading there on this Friday. A few less boats because the summer family vacationers have departed. Still boats but we've never felt crowded. The plus is that there are so many spots that even if a boat is where you want to be, you can move on.
NathanH
Posted 9/5/2019 6:40 AM (#946356 - in reply to #946319)

Super interesting I was up a few weeks before and found the return of the long lost topwater bite. I felt it had been dead for a few years. But that’s just me.
musky1969
Posted 9/6/2019 4:58 PM (#946442 - in reply to #946356)

NathanH - 9/5/2019 6:40 AM

Super interesting I was up a few weeks before and found the return of the long lost topwater bite. I felt it had been dead for a few years. But that’s just me.

Same in The Angle crazy top water it was great !!!!!!
acquaman
Posted 9/6/2019 8:26 PM (#946454 - in reply to #946442)

Just got back myself. Boat partner threw a prop bait 4 days straight, I threw a bucktail. I should’ve just put on a wtd bait and ran with it in hindsight. Same exact structure as the op, we were probably one of the boats he was fighting over spots with. Didn’t see any actual big fish, but lots nonetheless.
dtaijo174
Posted 9/16/2019 10:04 AM (#946843 - in reply to #946319)

I'm headed up to the angle for a few days this week. never gone this late in the year. Any pointers?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)