Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Braid to Braid?

Message Subject: Braid to Braid?
Northernfan
Posted 8/17/2019 12:34 PM (#945492)
Subject: Braid to Braid?

This is probably a really stupid question to ask, but I have a reel that could use more braided line on it. To save money from buying a whole new spool of braid, can you tie the braid you still have left onto the braid that is on the reel already? Or is it better off just spending the money and not tying braid to braid?
Zinox
Posted 8/17/2019 12:47 PM (#945493 - in reply to #945492)
Subject: Re: Braid to Braid?

I know people who does it, but i would never.
To safe some gold, i just put 300 feet of braid on each reel, and fill it with mono below.
tundrawalker00
Posted 8/17/2019 1:28 PM (#945495 - in reply to #945493)

The problem is finding a knot that won't catch in your levelwind and give you a serious backlash. I would do what Zinox suggested. If want to bulk up your spool to max, grab a reel that's not in service, pull off your braid and wind on some more backing, then put your braid back on.
supertrollr
Posted 8/17/2019 2:30 PM (#945498 - in reply to #945492)

if the line you want to add is not gonna move out of the reel. just removed all the braid from reel add the new one to the oldr one by tying an albright . but if the knot is going to move out of te reel it'S a no no. but i guess you just want more line to get more cast distance and a faster retrieve ? if that's the case don't add braid add junk mono plus the albright. if it'S for casting 200 feet is enough. a really long cast is around 100 ' so if you use 80 lbs plus line no fish are gonna take you more than 100' of line . never !
NPike
Posted 8/17/2019 6:48 PM (#945505 - in reply to #945498)

I never replace the bottom 30 to 50 % of my line. Tie the new line to the spool filler line every time. Usually it's dirt cheap mono on the bottom to prevent slipping and save $. But why waste money on refilling the whole spool? That part of the spool's line never see's the water or a fish. For splicing 2 lines uni to uni has never failed me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)