Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Used boat with rebuilt motor

Reply New post
Message Subject: Used boat with rebuilt motor
Smell_Esox
Posted 9/13/2019 11:23 AM (#946753)
Subject: Used boat with rebuilt motor

Would you buy a used boat that was in good condition if the motor was rebuilt?
wallygator
Posted 9/13/2019 11:34 AM (#946754 - in reply to #946753)
Subject: Re: Used boat with rebuilt motor

Hey Esox what was rebuilt on the motor ?? what year ??
Smell_Esox
Posted 9/13/2019 12:39 PM (#946759 - in reply to #946753)

Powerhead on say a 10 year old Optimax. Or any manufacturer motor.
VMS
Posted 9/13/2019 12:57 PM (#946762 - in reply to #946753)

Hiya,

If the motor was rebuilt professionally, there would be certain criteria/dimensions that parts would have to conform to in order to be reused, so essentially, the motor would be like a new engine and go through a break-in period. Given the motor in the scenario, I'd have the motor checked out first for compression, leak-down, and hours of use, along with any maintenance records that might be available. Even if the cost is on your wallet to get motor testing done, spending a couple of hundred dollars to have this completed could save you thousands if you purchase and the motor takes a dump. You'd hope the seller would do this in good faith to clear the motor beforehand, but you never can tell what someone might be hiding.

If it goes through inspection and is great on compression, is running correctly with no issues, it should be good to go.

I had this same question when I purchased in 2017... Boat was a 2003, but repowered in 2011 with a new motor. Dealer did a complete diagnostic, went through all of the necessary details for the engine condition, and printed this information out for me to consider, so I felt confident I was getting a good power-plant.

No doubt your overall gut feeling comes in to play as well...

Steve

Edited by VMS 9/13/2019 12:58 PM
wallygator
Posted 9/13/2019 1:27 PM (#946763 - in reply to #946753)

I agree with VMS … years back I was looking at a motor that had a blown piston . They took it in and had just the one cylinder bored and sleeved … My gut feeling was to walk away...
Good luck with your chouice...
Smell_Esox
Posted 9/16/2019 8:26 AM (#946839 - in reply to #946753)

I'm not really shopping for a boat right now, but I do look at ads and occasionally I see that a motor has been rebuilt. So I was curious what the experts or experienced had to say about it. Your answers are appreciated and what I expected. I would think a professionally done rebuild would probably be an ok risk to take.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)