Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Transom repair

Reply New post
Message Subject: Transom repair
southern comfort
Posted 7/16/2019 8:37 AM (#942420)
Subject: Transom repair

I have an older 16' Yar Craft tiller which has been a great fishing boat for me. The transom has started to feel a little soft and can wiggle slightly if I manually shake the motor. Some have suggested boat is "toast" ... unsafe and transom is going to break off. Any experience or thoughts on if this ... is it repairable?
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 7/16/2019 9:03 AM (#942426 - in reply to #942420)
Subject: Re: Transom repair

Yes, it's repairable. If you're not mechanically inclined I highly suggest you have a professional do it. If you're in MN my suggestion the best I know of is Anchor Marine.
ToddC
Posted 7/16/2019 11:53 AM (#942434 - in reply to #942420)

I completely gutted my old Tuffy Marauder a couple years ago down to the stringers and rebuilt it. The worse thing about the transom repair was removing it. It’s not very hard if you have some basic skills. Great info on youtube to help. I made my new transom by doubling up some 3/4 inch plywood bonded with epoxy resin and screwed together then encased in fiberglass mat with epoxy resin. I tied in the corners with a few layers of biaxial glass tape coated with resin. You can DIY in a week or so working a few hours on it each night if you have all the materials. Need to get plywood, resin, fiberglass mat & tape. Having an oscillating cutter saved a bunch of time. Make sure you get a few extra blades. Material costs will prolly be $200 or so. If you decide and DIY and need advice reach out here on the board, there’s always someone willing to help out. Good luck!
wallda
Posted 7/16/2019 2:06 PM (#942447 - in reply to #942434)

ToddC - 7/16/2019 11:53 AM

I completely gutted my old Tuffy Marauder a couple years ago down to the stringers and rebuilt it. The worse thing about the transom repair was removing it. It’s not very hard if you have some basic skills. Great info on youtube to help. I made my new transom by doubling up some 3/4 inch plywood bonded with epoxy resin and screwed together then encased in fiberglass mat with epoxy resin. I tied in the corners with a few layers of biaxial glass tape coated with resin. You can DIY in a week or so working a few hours on it each night if you have all the materials. Need to get plywood, resin, fiberglass mat & tape. Having an oscillating cutter saved a bunch of time. Make sure you get a few extra blades. Material costs will prolly be $200 or so. If you decide and DIY and need advice reach out here on the board, there’s always someone willing to help out. Good luck!

Great winter project if you have a heated garage. 80% of the cost in repairing the transom is labor. It is an easy repair if you have the time to do it. If you do take it on, spend $25 on a drain tube flaring tool and do the drains correctly.
southern comfort
Posted 7/18/2019 7:20 AM (#942554 - in reply to #942420)

Thnx for the suggestions. Very helpful!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)