Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Early Fall Weekend location help

Message Subject: Early Fall Weekend location help
ToothyCritter
Posted 10/7/2019 12:30 PM (#947754)
Subject: Early Fall Weekend location help

With all of the rain lately I'm stumped on what lake to fish with the fam for a weekend muskie hunt. The youngest is off Monday next week, so this weekend we go regardless.
Here are the lakes that are on my target list so far. Goal being to get my youngest a shot at a ski on a live sucker. Want to see his heart race when the reel starts to click. We hope..

Weather looks to be 39 with possible rain and 12 to 14 mph for the most part. No problem.

We made QS rigs this weekend and watched some vids. He's all worked up and I don't want to disappoint. Only fished N twin and Kentuck before.. Nada both times, but I know there are in there...

Eagle Chain
Butternut
Kentuck
North Twin

Booked a cabin on the Eagle Chain already. Can go anywhere to fish. The wife wanted this cabin and has a spot planned for dinner and drinks for Saturday night.

Thanks,
Mike
vegas492
Posted 10/7/2019 12:48 PM (#947755 - in reply to #947754)
Subject: Re: Early Fall Weekend location help

If you want to get bit, there used to be a great sucker bite on Ballard.
Pretty easy lake to fish, just run the weed edges with suckers. The only thing I don't know is if there's been some winterkill on that chain recently.
But...I'd do the research on that one. Good sucker bite lake.
muskidiem
Posted 10/8/2019 7:57 AM (#947787 - in reply to #947754)

weekend weather would be my first thought, and I'd stay in the chain for more areas offering protection, boat control, and having kids along. Plus you are staying on the chain if you need a break. You could pick a day that might be better to go elsewhere as well. But I'll be home this weekend, so what do I know. Have fun.
CincySkeez
Posted 10/8/2019 9:06 AM (#947788 - in reply to #947754)

Maybe drive north like 15 miles, some good small sucker lakes north of Kentuck
ToothyCritter
Posted 10/8/2019 9:23 AM (#947789 - in reply to #947787)

Weather looks to be a bummer, but onward though the fog as they say.

I do need to think that through as the wife will start to wig out if its snowing and windy and want off the boat. The cabin is on Eagle Lake and it has a dock. If that's the case with the weather, we fish the chain and can blast back in and I can drop everyone off if they want. Jack (youngest) will more likely stay on the boat no matter what. Everyone has the garb to stay warm and dry.

I new I needed to order the windscreen and side curtains, to add to the top when I had the chance. Just a bit expensive for the components and installation, so I stalled and i'm regretting that now.

Been fighting weather this year like no other. No excuses though, go when you can.
bwalsh
Posted 10/9/2019 5:24 AM (#947850 - in reply to #947754)

I've heard so many times that when the temps first drop in October, it gets them moving. Shouldn't this be a very good weekend for those who brave it?
ToothyCritter
Posted 10/11/2019 4:18 PM (#948058 - in reply to #947850)

Heading up now. Getting suckers sure is a PITA... High water is making it a tough go and they are scarce. Stopping on the way to get a some. Most bait shops are sold out in the Eagle River & surrounding areas. Gotta make a stop at R&H for some goodies on the way home... Need another Frankensuick.

Hope to get a picture of the kid with a fish for the wall if the muskie dude abides. Good luck to those who are going out and stay safe out there! Weather looks rough..

Mike
JBlanck
Posted 10/11/2019 8:56 PM (#948089 - in reply to #947754)

Good luck this weekend. Trust the spots. Post water temps when you can.
ToothyCritter
Posted 10/15/2019 7:30 AM (#948261 - in reply to #948089)

Driving down the back roads with the trees in full fall color is very cool. Just as cool as the weather was Saturday and Sunday. We didn't get anything either one of those day's. We casted a mixed bag of lures and had a few suckers out, but the wind is what made it difficult. Water temps ranged from 45.5 to 49 on Eagle, Catfish and Cranberry.

After being on the boat most of the day, going to Sweetwater bar for a burger, beer and curds was awesome. Just in time to catch part of the Badgers game. Fun crowd.

We decided to get up super early Monday (yesterday) and stop at R&H to get a new Fat Bastard, Frankensuick and a bunch of terminal tackle so we can make leaders and QS rigs. They had a few suckers so we got 4 so we could stop at Oneida to try a Hail Mary for a few hours before the drive back.

It was 4th down and forever and bam, Jack lost one on the hookset. I looked at the sucker and it tail grabbed it. Set it back down and the other sucker went off. Missed it again but no hooks, another tail grabber. Then the mangled sucker I just re-set went off again, and Jackie got him that time. A pretty 41"er and my wife was so happy she teared up.

All in all great time. I love this game.

Joey (son#2) already named the new Frankensuick the Bride of Frankenstein. Now we have 2 and the boy's wont fight on who can cast it. I'm sure they will argue over something else to make my hair turn even whiter...
hans
Posted 10/15/2019 9:39 AM (#948278 - in reply to #947754)

awesome! Cool story and congrats to your wife. I would rather see my kids or wife catch one than myself any day... Its a total win when they catch one.
chasintails
Posted 10/15/2019 10:44 AM (#948295 - in reply to #947754)

Nice job Dad.
muskidiem
Posted 10/15/2019 12:00 PM (#948308 - in reply to #947754)

That is what it is all about. the struggle and the payoff. Nice work.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)