Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Before You Launch...

Message Subject: Before You Launch...
jvlast15
Posted 5/27/2019 7:48 AM (#937925)
Subject: Before You Launch...

How many of you take a few casts off the dock before you launch the boat? And how many of you have caught one in those 4-5 casts you take?

The reason I ask is because as my dad and brother were putting the boat in the water, I found myself with nothing to do. So I figured, why not? Might as well get a few casts in to pass these 5 minutes.

And then ended up having a follow up to the dock that i converted in the figure 8. As my brother was backing down, I’m yelling “Get the Net!!” And ended up landing a 42” musky. Anyone else have a similar experience?

jasonvkop
Posted 5/27/2019 8:05 AM (#937926 - in reply to #937925)
Subject: Re: Before You Launch...

When I was younger I would always take some casts off the dock/shore while my dad was loading the boat. Caught a couple fish throughout the years doing it too. Not really able to do it now since I'm the one loading and launching the boat, but I'm guessing my kid will do it when she's older.
ToddC
Posted 5/27/2019 8:06 AM (#937927 - in reply to #937925)

While waiting for my wife’s uncle to get his musky gear from the garage I decided to make a few casts off the dock. I had on a jointed Believer and was crawling it over some weeds when a musky ate it. I set the hook and handed the rod to my wife who was standing on the dock and she reeled in the 36” fish. That was over 20 years ago and is still her only musky!
North of 8
Posted 5/27/2019 8:18 AM (#937928 - in reply to #937927)

Two years ago I was in Alaska, helping build a pole structure for my sister and her husband. One evening we knocked off early and took the atvs up to an alpine lake where there is a communal row boat. My brother in law was rigging rods for himself and his cousin so I made a few casts from shore. On about the fourth cast I caught a nice cut throat trout, first one ever. We then got in the boat and fished for 2 hours. We caught a couple small Dollys but no more cut throats. Still a great memory. The lake is fed by a mountain stream where snow melt comes from above and then exits to another stream and eventually winds down the mountain to the sea. Kind of place where you can easily find yourself sharing the fishing with a black or brown bear.
ToddM
Posted 5/27/2019 9:29 AM (#937931 - in reply to #937925)

I have seen Muskies sitting in the washout hole.
mnmusky
Posted 5/27/2019 11:12 AM (#937934 - in reply to #937925)
Subject: RE: Before You Launch...

yup.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMAG0221.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG0221.jpg (67KB - 433 downloads)
OH Musky
Posted 6/2/2019 8:12 AM (#940233 - in reply to #937925)

Not possible at our ramps. All you'd catch is another boat. They are a mess this time of year.
muskynut18
Posted 6/19/2019 1:08 PM (#941004 - in reply to #937925)

Perhaps not exactly before I launch, but immediately afterwards.... Every time I go chasing tigers I make several casts by the boat ramp before moving out to the main lake. A few years back my buddy pulled a 44.5" on his first cast of the morning in the dark, right on the launch ramp, which I netted for him. The next year it was my turn with a 41", also on the first cast in the dark in the same spot, that he netted for me. Another guy I know pulled a 47" while his partner was powering the boat onto the trailer one evening! Needless to say, I always check the ramp! Fred K.

Edited by muskynut18 6/19/2019 1:28 PM

(rsz_11rsz_1rsz_445.jpg)

(rsz_1rsz_41_2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rsz_11rsz_1rsz_445.jpg (76KB - 414 downloads)
Attachments rsz_1rsz_41_2.jpg (32KB - 400 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)