Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Mounting a new Humminbird

Message Subject: Mounting a new Humminbird
4reukmuskies
Posted 4/29/2018 9:44 PM (#905422)
Subject: Mounting a new Humminbird

Good evening, I just got a new Helix 10 and have yet to mount it. I currently have a 2003 Crestliner 1850 Fishhawk and was wondering if anyone has experience mounting a larger screened fishfinder to this same boat or similar. One of the issues is that seems to be a problem with this slightly older boat is that the console doesn't seem to be reinforced enough to support the size/weight of these newer units, so I was wondering what have others been doing to deal with that issue? Is there a way to reinforce the console or should I look at a different mounting position? Then, what mounts would you recommend that have worked well? Photos would be super helpful!

Thank you in advance
Craig R
VMS
Posted 4/30/2018 9:16 AM (#905443 - in reply to #905422)
Subject: Re: Mounting a new Humminbird

Hiya,

When I would mount a new unit to a console, I would mount a piece of plywood below the console to help spread out the weight across the underside of the console. This allows you to use bolts with nylon lock-nuts with washers below rather than just machine screws which can pull out. With the wood board below, it would be very hard to pull out, and will give more structural support to the console as well.

In your case, using the bigger RAM ball mount also helps to support as well.

Steve

ntr0880
Posted 4/30/2018 10:29 AM (#905453 - in reply to #905422)
Subject: RE: Mounting a new Humminbird

I have a hummindbirg Onix unit and those things are pretty hefty. What I did was the exact same as what was mentioned above. I cut out a piece of plywood that fit under my console to spread out the load, used bolts with washers and nylock nuts to secure it, and used the bigger 2.5" RAM ball I believe. Works good so far.
boogieknights
Posted 4/30/2018 1:56 PM (#905467 - in reply to #905422)

I echo the comments above i used a ram d size mount for a helix 9 si plus a smaller sized ram under the dash with backer board to anchor it. Those dashes aren't made to hold the bigger units.
4reukmuskies
Posted 4/30/2018 9:43 PM (#905491 - in reply to #905422)

Thanks for the replies, would any of you be able to take a picture of how you mounted the piece of plywood underneath the console?

Craig R.
erico
Posted 5/2/2018 4:54 PM (#905657 - in reply to #905422)

Here' another option

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_1480.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1480.JPG (103KB - 394 downloads)
4reukmuskies
Posted 5/2/2018 9:15 PM (#905686 - in reply to #905422)

Erico, I am also considering that. Thank you for the picture. Could you post a picture of how you mounted your transducer(s) on the transom for reference for me please?

Thanks again,
Craig R
erico
Posted 5/2/2018 9:48 PM (#905687 - in reply to #905422)

Here you go.

(IMG_1489.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1489.JPG (57KB - 417 downloads)
muskidiem
Posted 5/3/2018 9:50 AM (#905702 - in reply to #905422)

Erico, or others,
I am installing a Helix 5 soon, and was wondering about transducer placement on aluminum boat like above pic. Is the mounting spot as sensitive as the instructions make it sound? I'll make sure it has the right angle and is at right height, but is it more important to keep it away from a bunk, or to keep it 15" away from edge of prop?
erico
Posted 5/3/2018 12:26 PM (#905706 - in reply to #905422)

No expert here, but unless your bunks hang past the transom while on the trailer, I don't see an issue. The issue with placement is minimizing turbulence/air around the transducer while moving. I haven't mounted one in awhile and haven't seen the 15" recommendation. Ideally I think mine should have been a few inches closer to the center line as I sometimes lose signal on plane in waves.
VMS
Posted 5/4/2018 9:16 AM (#905754 - in reply to #905422)

Hiya,

With the piece of plywood under the console, all you need to do is use the RAM ball to drill your holes in the plywood, and then use it again on the top of the console to drill your holes.

Once all the holes are complete, run your bolts through from the top. put the plywood up with the bolts coming through the holes, add washers and lock-nuts, and tighten down. All done...

The board does not need to be fixed to the underside of the console before you start....

Steve
tolle141
Posted 5/4/2018 1:15 PM (#905772 - in reply to #905422)

I have an '04 fishhawk 1850. Helix 9 (same dimensions as helix 10)

Ram mount with the underside-reinforcement as described above fit just fine behind the right-side switches. I had a shop install mine because they're covered by insurance in the event that something gets screwed up. That and I have deep reservations about drilling holes in my boat.

I explored mounting on the gunwhale, but opted against it because it would interfere with my snap-on cover. That's probably the most solid mounting spot near the console.
4reukmuskies
Posted 5/4/2018 10:58 PM (#905835 - in reply to #905422)

Thanks for the info guys, it seems like there is some open space between the top and underside of the console, maybe 3/4 of an inch wide. I'll see if I can make something work.
SkiNoob
Posted 5/5/2018 9:27 AM (#905848 - in reply to #905422)

Bottom line: Working on boats SUCKS! Good luck with the install, I'm working on a Terrova and a netwrork which at times makes me just want to throw things down the driveway.
mtcook16
Posted 5/7/2018 9:11 AM (#905947 - in reply to #905422)

There is another thing to consider when mounting up these larger Side imaging transducers. Make sure it is rigged like this and you can move that MEGA transducer up just so it is in the water at SI/DI scanning speeds, less than 8mph. You will be getting depth from the 2D transducer at all times, so when on plane, the MEGA transducer can be out of the water and you'll still get depth.

(9 M SIDB Y configuration.png)

(Mega_Muskie_While Casting_Zoom.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 9 M SIDB Y configuration.png (110KB - 557 downloads)
Attachments Mega_Muskie_While Casting_Zoom.jpg (45KB - 467 downloads)
4reukmuskies
Posted 5/8/2018 10:44 PM (#906049 - in reply to #905422)

That's an awesome side imaging pic! Ben, when you have time would you be able to take a picture of how the shop reinforced the underside of your console for the installation please?

Thanks

Craig
mtcook16
Posted 5/18/2018 8:27 AM (#906736 - in reply to #906049)

4reukmuskies - 5/8/2018 10:44 PM

That's an awesome side imaging pic! Ben, when you have time would you be able to take a picture of how the shop reinforced the underside of your console for the installation please?

Thanks

Craig

I did one this weekend- I bought a 1/2" thick cutting board for $10 that I determined would be overkill, but still functions great as a weatherproof and rot-free way to reinforce under the unit mount. Also, much cheaper than opting for a similar material used to make transducer mounting plates. I measured, drew out the shape and used a rotary tool (jigsaw works too) to cut it out. I pre-drilled my bolt pattern and mounted the plate under the dash, Ram ball above and tightened it all down snug.
finmanpooze
Posted 5/16/2019 4:15 PM (#937475 - in reply to #905687)

I'd strongly urge using a transducer board not made from any kind of plywood. I have 3/4" thick on mine and the screws only go to the board without any extra holes in my boat. It gives me some flexibility with updating transducers over time this way.

3M makes a 5200 and 4200 if I recall correctly. They are an awesome sealant that isn't supposed to shrink over time. I used that on the board's screws into my transom and nothing's broken since.

I have pair of Helix 10s & a 9 on order with a new boat... I'm hoping you'll post some of your learning curve experiences with it (hint hint)

(I could snap I a pic if you want)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)